Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect / STPC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Just to clarify something which ive only just found out the hard way... if there is any flight departing the same day which would allow a shorter connection it means the Dubai Connect is not allowed.

For example.... 2 flights departing CGK at 00:15am and 17:40pm.

The 00:15am flight would connect to a DUB flight with a 3 hour stopover.

But the 17:40pm flight the next available connection to DUB has a stopover of 7 hours.

This therefore means that if you choose the 17:40pm flight you will not be eligible for dubai connect because you could have gone on the 00:15am flight and had just a 3 hour layover.

Hope that makes sense, as ive tried to explain it using the example that affected me.
Yes this has always been the most basic qualifying criteria. The purpose of DC is to make a long transit more palatable to pax so they don't go book with a competitor and allowing EK to sell those seats, it's not designed as a free holiday service.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes this has always been the most basic qualifying criteria. The purpose of DC is to make a long transit more palatable to pax so they don't go book with a competitor and allowing EK to sell those seats, it's not designed as a free holiday service.
Well i understood it to mean that if there was no earlier connection, meaning that if you chose to leave a longer layover in DXB then you werent eligible.

In this case im not able to get the flight that leaves CGK at midnight and connects to DUB with 3 hours, so my only option is to take the 5:40pm from CGk and have a 7 hour layover in DXB

Its my own fault for not investigating properly, as i would have booked with EY if i had known, as they have a flight leaving CGK around the same time which has a much shorter connection to DUB
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Well i understood it to mean that if there was no earlier connection, meaning that if you chose to leave a longer layover in DXB then you werent eligible.

In this case im not able to get the flight that leaves CGK at midnight and connects to DUB with 3 hours, so my only option is to take the 5:40pm from CGk and have a 7 hour layover in DXB

Its my own fault for not investigating properly, as i would have booked with EY if i had known, as they have a flight leaving CGK around the same time which has a much shorter connection to DUB
I've always had the same understanding as you. I had no idea that the first flight made a difference and figured it was only based on whether you selected a longer connection in Dubai when a shorter one was available as opposed to which flight you choose to book on the first leg.
We certainly cannot be alone on this reading of the rules...

Now, I don't feel like EK owes people the DXB connect service, it is nice gesture, but this does seem like a strange reading as I feel people often pick their departing flight based on their personal schedule (e.g. after work).

Perhaps we should take an informal poll here?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
I've always had the same understanding as you. I had no idea that the first flight made a difference and figured it was only based on whether you selected a longer connection in Dubai when a shorter one was available as opposed to which flight you choose to book on the first leg.
Yes, i spoke to 2 agents who confirmed that it was correct. Both informed me that i should have booked the 00:15am flight with the shorter connection. I explained that i wasnt choosing the longer connection, it was the only option based on needing to leave on the 5:40pm departure out of CGK, i kept saying i wasnt able to travel at midnight as i had to work that day... drew a blank with both who repeated that i should have just gone on the 00:15am flight
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Yes, i spoke to 2 agents who confirmed that it was correct. Both informed me that i should have booked the 00:15am flight with the shorter connection. I explained that i wasnt choosing the longer connection, it was the only option based on needing to leave on the 5:40pm departure out of CGK, i kept saying i wasnt able to travel at midnight as i had to work that day... drew a blank with both who repeated that i should have just gone on the 00:15am flight
Went through this whole thread again and apparently this has been the rule for over a year! Wonder how I completely missed that
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Emirates Platnum
Just to clarify something which ive only just found out the hard way... if there is any flight departing the same day which would allow a shorter connection it means the Dubai Connect is not allowed.

For example.... 2 flights departing CGK at 00:15am and 17:40pm.

The 00:15am flight would connect to a DUB flight with a 3 hour stopover.

But the 17:40pm flight the next available connection to DUB has a stopover of 7 hours.

This therefore means that if you choose the 17:40pm flight you will not be eligible for dubai connect because you could have gone on the 00:15am flight and had just a 3 hour layover.

Hope that makes sense, as ive tried to explain it using the example that affected me.
Just to share my experience - which was a little different: I was booked on LAX-DXB-BLR next week, leaving LAX at 21:30 with a 2 hour layover at DXB. I logged in 2 days ago to check on my seats and found that the airline had changed the schedule of the DXB-BLR flight to give me a 12 hour layover (no email or call received from either airlines or travel agent). When I called to check on the hotel they suggested I take the 15:35 flight. I explained I was in LA for 3 working days and leaving 6 (working) hours earlier was not an option - so they agreed to give me the Dubai Connect option.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by CelloYellow
Just to share my experience - which was a little different: I was booked on LAX-DXB-BLR next week, leaving LAX at 21:30 with a 2 hour layover at DXB. I logged in 2 days ago to check on my seats and found that the airline had changed the schedule of the DXB-BLR flight to give me a 12 hour layover (no email or call received from either airlines or travel agent). When I called to check on the hotel they suggested I take the 15:35 flight. I explained I was in LA for 3 working days and leaving 6 (working) hours earlier was not an option - so they agreed to give me the Dubai Connect option.
Yes but that was an involuntary longer connection that you hadn't chosen, not quite the same.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Well, for the record, I am now doing exactly the same LGW-KUL route and flights and am back at Le Meridien right now.

This time I knew exactly what to do and where to go and it worked like clockwork. I also got a much better room on the ground floor just behind the Emirates reception. A clean and modern white design room. And the internet is working properly this time.

I've just had my free meal at the hotel's steak restaurant and will retire to the room for a few hours to watch TV.

It's quite a fun way to spend a layover. And the fact it's free is of course a great bonus.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:36 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Dubai Connect Question(s)

I recently booked a business class flight for my mother from Edmonton, Canada to Durban, South Africa via Seattle and Dubai (YEG-SEA-DXB-DUR).

The routing includes a 15hr overnight layover in DXB which qualifies for the Dubai Connect free hotel service as part of her business class ticket. On the manage booking portion of the Emirates website, it says that the passenger is supposed to get the voucher at check-in. However, as the first flight from YEG-SEA is operated by another carrier (AS), I presume the Alaska check-in agents will not be handling this. As such, where will she be able to pick up the hotel voucher? I presume they won't hand it out at the gate in SEA, so is there a desk at DXB upon arrival where she is supposed to get it?

Also, which hotel will they likely be using (I've read Le Meridien in other posts)?

As a business class passenger, will the transfer be on a coach or a chauffered vehicle?

Edit, additional question: Are meal vouchers provided as part of the Dubai Connect service for business class passengers?

Thank you.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I can't answer your main question, but it will likely be the Le Meridien, and transfers are by a private car service. She'll also get a couple of meal vouchers for use in the restaurants (there's a few choices).
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I would probably have the passenger exit the security side at SEA and visit the Emirates check in desk on the public side and explain the situation.

If time does not permit on the connection, I would have them attend the gate in advance of boarding to obtain materials (assuming staff may have to run to collect same).

Last resort would be to visit a counter in DXB.

Not ideal circumstances but better than nothing.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:50 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I would probably have the passenger exit the security side at SEA and visit the Emirates check in desk on the public side and explain the situation.

If time does not permit on the connection, I would have them attend the gate in advance of boarding to obtain materials (assuming staff may have to run to collect same).

Last resort would be to visit a counter in DXB.

Not ideal circumstances but better than nothing.
I called the Emirates reservation line and they pretty much said this. They said she would need to pick up the vouchers at the start of the Emirates operated flight, which in this case would be Seattle. They suggested she leave the secure area and get the vouchers at the Emirates check-in desk. When I pressed on this, they said that she can ask any Emirates agent at the gate and they 'should' be able to bring the vouchers to her at the gate as a courtesy.

I'm going to suggest to her that she ask at the gate and see what happens.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Two questions:

1) I have an upcoming flight with a 14 hour layover, but there is also an earlier flight with only a 9 hour layover. My manage booking page says that I'm eligible and can select a room preference. However, after reading the terms about being on the earliest available flight, I called to confirm that I am still eligible. I was told (by a semi-clueless agent) that I am and that my hotel room selection I made on the website is confirmed. What are the odds that when I get to my departing airport (or DXB) that I'm told my flight isn't, in fact, eligible?

2) I frequently am offered the opportunity to buy up to business for $200 on my first leg when checking in 48 hours before the flight. If I upgrade this way, would I get the nicer hotel option under Dubai Connect? (I know it wouldn't get me into the lounge or the chauffeur service)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
If the earlier flights are booked up then you are eligible. I've done this before and got myself a nice 24 hour Dubai vacation out of it.

As for improved accommodations using the email upgrade, I doubt it. They are stingy with the terms on those upgrades so I can't imagine you getting the better hotel if you won't even get CD to drive you to the hotel. (What are they going to do, take the Y bus over there to drop you off?).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:35 am

The earlier connection is 9 hours, thus also eligible for DC, in this case I think EK are fine with you purposefully selecting the longer layover. If there was a shorter connection available which would be ineligible for DC that would be a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.