Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK F out of Sydney ? Qantas F lounge access?

Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

hi, I'm wondering when the Qantas / Emirates merger occurs, will F class passengers on an emirates ticket / emirates plane, have access to the Qantas F class international lounge (which apparently is something special)?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
It is indeed a very nice lounge (several reviews on FT in the Trip Reports section). I understand that reciprocal access will be available when the alliance becomes operational. This should be in early April.
I am watching with some interest as I have an EK trans-tasman in F on the last weekend in March and then EK F to DXB at the end of the first week of April....
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even if the lounge is available I would still use the EK lounge since I find the offerings in the EK lounge to be pretty decent plus is v close to the departure gate

There's still hope that the ACCC will block the alliance
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Even if the lounge is available I would still use the EK lounge since I find the offerings in the EK lounge to be pretty decent plus is v close to the departure gate
Not necessarily. Sometimes at SYD on EK I've had gate 8, which is under the QF lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Not necessarily. Sometimes at SYD on EK I've had gate 8, which is under the QF lounge.
I have only had gates around 57 - 61 for EK flights; I thought that it was their normal area
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have only had gates around 57 - 61 for EK flights; I thought that it was their normal area
It is, but for the past year or two it seems any international flight can be assigned just about any international gate at SYD. I quite often get gate 63 for QF for example.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:11 pm

I would agree with Dave, the quality of food and beverage in the EK lounge at Sydney are great. the QF 1st lounge is worth a look if you haven't been in though, but I personally would use the EK lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Some die hard EK fans here!

Given that the QF F lounge is regularly voted as one of the best lounges in the world I'm surprised that some of you would suggest a preference towards the EK lounge based on the food offerrings. I've been in both lounges, multiple times and the EK food (buffet style) simply cannot compare to the restaurant quality sit down table service of the QF F lounge and that's even before you start to compare the lounges on other qualities.

But, each to their own...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:00 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by matthandy
Some die hard EK fans here!

Given that the QF F lounge is regularly voted as one of the best lounges in the world I'm surprised that some of you would suggest a preference towards the EK lounge based on the food offerrings. I've been in both lounges, multiple times and the EK food (buffet style) simply cannot compare to the restaurant quality sit down table service of the QF F lounge and that's even before you start to compare the lounges on other qualities.

But, each to their own...
Whatever gave you the idea that we are biased

I would however agree with you. I havent been in a QF F lounge in Australia recently, but what I hear and read, I can already tell that they are better.

The SIN F lounge is a joke though and should be dealt with swiftly. Packed to the rafters.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
I havent been in a QF F lounge in Australia recently, but what I hear and read, I can already tell that they are better
...which leads me swiftly and shamlessly on to plugging a photo trip report of mine that covers the QF F lounge in Sydney: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ge-sydney.html
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
Whatever gave you the idea that we are biased

I would however agree with you. I havent been in a QF F lounge in Australia recently, but what I hear and read, I can already tell that they are better.
Each to their own; I find the Qantsa F lounge overcrowded full of people not travelling 1st class with an upmarket pub meal offering; In the mornings particularly I do prefer the offerings in the Emirates lounge and also find that with it not being overcrowded that it is pleasant to go to
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:57 pm

Each to their own; I find the Qantsa F lounge overcrowded full of people not travelling 1st class with an upmarket pub meal offering;
As opposed to the EK offering which is full of people also not travelling in 1st class (the fact that it's a shared J and F lounge) .

The QF F lounge can certainly get very busy in the afternoon, before the European flights leave, however, after that, it's very quiet. When I was there last I was actually the only person in the lounge for a good hour or so.

I have to disagree with you about the food. The menus are created by Neil Perry using seasonal ingredients where possible. I wouldn't refer to it in any way as pub food.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
As opposed to the EK offering which is full of people also not travelling in 1st class (the fact that it's a shared J and F lounge) .

The QF F lounge can certainly get very busy in the afternoon, before the European flights leave, however, after that, it's very quiet. When I was there last I was actually the only person in the lounge for a good hour or so.

I have to disagree with you about the food. The menus are created by Neil Perry using seasonal ingredients where possible. I wouldn't refer to it in any way as pub food.
meh...pub food with a famous name around it; there is nothing special about the menus

At least EK's departures limit the number of potential passengers quite nicely plus that economy passengers cannot take guests in helps keep numbers down. I have never found the EK lounge to be overcrowded unlike the QF F lounge
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:53 pm

At least EK's departures limit the number of potential passengers quite nicely plus that economy passengers cannot take guests in helps keep numbers down. I have never found the EK lounge to be overcrowded unlike the QF F lounge
Unfortunately who knows what might happen with this new QF EK alliance. Can't see it being good for EK passengers at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.