Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permission to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Was op upped yesterday ex DXB.very happy as it had not shown availability with miles.This is my 2nd op up in a row.Waiting for a hat trick on my next flight in a few days.

I fly in.all 3 classes and I'll also be annoyed if they op the entire cabin.But as I mentioned in an earlier thread you can play the game as well .
I would love to also play the op-up game. Unfortunately, in 40+ flights I have seen an op-up 3 times. 0 times ex-USA thanks to their alphabetical upgrade scheme. If I want to fly F, I have to pay for it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Emirates202
Maybe your IO status has had something to do with the more recent upgrades out of stations like Lahore .
Im curious to see if F stays as empty as it is now on 204 when it is switched to the A380. At least booking wise empty .

-ek202
I would venture to guess that 203/204 might even be more busy in F over 201/02 once it goes to a 380. The timing is better for some (like me) but it's the aircraft that keeps me on 201/02. I can't be alone.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by whimike
I would love to also play the op-up game. Unfortunately, in 40+ flights I have seen an op-up 3 times. 0 times ex-USA thanks to their alphabetical upgrade scheme. If I want to fly F, I have to pay for it.
My op ups ex uk is 0 just like you. However ex DXB I've been op'd up 7 times this year .I fly only once a month .

All you need to do is to check how busy the flight is and purposefully book on a busy flight.
Luckily all my trips are personal and I can choose when I fly.

Ex DXB the op ups are based on status anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I would venture to guess that 203/204 might even be more busy in F over 201/02 once it goes to a 380. The timing is better for some (like me) but it's the aircraft that keeps me on 201/02. I can't be alone.
You're probably right. I've flown to Australia a few times on EK originating in JFK. To make a connection to flight 412, 204 is perfect, but because I didn't want to take the 777, I left the night before on 202. I didn't get the comp hotel either as I could've taken 414 that leaves at 2am. Just got a room at the DXB hotel. But now with 204 going A380, I won't mind taking it. The 777 is great, smaller F cabin, but the shower is what keeps me to the A380 .

-ek202
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Does anyone know how the op-up system is based in South Africa? Assuming you don't bribe the previously disadvantaged check-in lady first
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

The 777 is great, smaller F cabin, but the shower is what keeps me to the A380 .

-ek202
& the Bar behind C. . 2 reasons for the 380 over the 777 on the same route.

The only problem w the bar & shower together on the same flight is many a time I've taken a "mid flight" shower, gotten back in my pajamas & gone back to the bar for a drink or two. I could never figure out why people always stare at me back there (I'm good looking but not THAT good looking . I was on a flight ex ICN & my GF was working the flight in C (she won't work the same cabin I'm sitting in . Anyway, she pulled me aside and told me I look ridiculous to other passengers. It never dawned on me that many people have no idea about the showers on board & the reason they stare is my hair is still wet & w the pajamas on I look like I just poured a bottle of water over my head & had to change into something dry

***its not very common to see someone onboard a plane w wet hair (especially 5 hours into the flight)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
& the Bar behind C. . 2 reasons for the 380 over the 777 on the same route.

The only problem w the bar & shower together on the same flight is many a time I've taken a "mid flight" shower, gotten back in my pajamas & gone back to the bar for a drink or two. I could never figure out why people always stare at me back there (I'm good looking but not THAT good looking . I was on a flight ex ICN & my GF was working the flight in C (she won't work the same cabin I'm sitting in . Anyway, she pulled me aside and told me I look ridiculous to other passengers. It never dawned on me that many people have no idea about the showers on board & the reason they stare is my hair is still wet & w the pajamas on I look like I just poured a bottle of water over my head & had to change into something dry

***its not very common to see someone onboard a plane w wet hair (especially 5 hours into the flight)
Haha. It must have been an interesting sight! I always shower about an hour or two before landing. I've actually only showered right after take off once, on the DXB-BKK-HKG flight. I showered and went straight to sleep, and showered again on BKK-HKG prior to landing. I don't always visit the bar, as I could drink what I'm drinking at the bar in my seat, but if I'm feeling restless, it's a good place to walk back to and have a conversation (and of course a drink ).
I know that you also fly 202 and 201 often, so do you notice that the bar is much busier on 201 than 202? Whenever I'm back at the bar on 202, it's pretty empty. It's probably bc it's a night flight, but I prefer it being empty, as its not as peaceful when it is so crowded, like on 201.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:28 pm

Haha. It must have been an interesting sight! I always shower about an hour or two before landing. I've actually only showered right after take off once, on the DXB-BKK-HKG flight. I showered and went straight to sleep, and showered again on BKK-HKG prior to landing. I don't always visit the bar, as I could drink what I'm drinking at the bar in my seat, but if I'm feeling restless, it's a good place to walk back to and have a conversation (and of course a drink ).
I know that you also fly 202 and 201 often, so do you notice that the bar is much busier on 201 than 202? Whenever I'm back at the bar on 202, it's pretty empty. It's probably bc it's a night flight, but I prefer it being empty, as its not as peaceful when it is so crowded, like on 201.
Night flights the bar is usually quieter I've noticed which is nicer for me. I can sit & have a drink & chat w the crew or the 1-2 passengers that are also night owls like me. I take the ICN-DXB flight often as well (not as often as JFK) & that's a great flight to hang out in the bar. The whole flight is over night @ it's very quiet so just nice to hang out

As far as the showers, it's funny. I never use it before landing as I'm either going home, to a hotel, or to a transit lounge after landing so I've never seen the showers as a necessity before landing but I'm a very restless flyer (I love to walk around, stretch every few hours, etc) and I've found taking a shower is a great way to break up a 14 hour flight. Makes it much easier to sleep, etc (but hay, Ive been told I'm strange)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:10 am
Suspended

Night flights the bar is usually quieter I've noticed which is nicer for me. I can sit & have a drink & chat w the crew or the 1-2 passengers that are also night owls like me. I take the ICN-DXB flight often as well (not as often as JFK) & that's a great flight to hang out in the bar. The whole flight is over night @ it's very quiet so just nice to hang out

As far as the showers, it's funny. I never use it before landing as I'm either going home, to a hotel, or to a transit lounge after landing so I've never seen the showers as a necessity before landing but I'm a very restless flyer (I love to walk around, stretch every few hours, etc) and I've found taking a shower is a great way to break up a 14 hour flight. Makes it much easier to sleep, etc (but hay, Ive been told I'm strange)
Even if I'm going home, or to a hotel, I prefer to shower on the plane so I feel fresh, and I don't have to do it when I get home or to the hotel! I've gotten so used to showering before landing, so when I'm on a AC without showers, or any other airline for that matter I get pretty disappointed haha. I don't like showering in lounges for some reason. I've only done it a few times.
I hear on the flights out of MAN that the booze is always flowing back at the bar! Seems like a flight I want to be on (except for the fact that its so crowded)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:27 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Exclamation Mod alert

Folks let us stay on topic, this is about upgrades and not shower preferences
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Everyone seems to be using the logic that 'we have all at some point been recipients of upgrades so why deny others this opportunity'.

Conversely, as someone who always ends up on flights that are almost full but never over sold, and has never been upgraded, what should my reaction be?

I flew MEL-DXB earlier this year as the only passenger in F, while both J and Y had only a couple of spare seats. Being the only passenger vs having several passengers in the cabin does make a difference in terms of attentiveness of the crew. I didn't pay for the whole cabin, but if I'm getting something I didn't pay for (nicer cabin ambience), why would I want it taken away?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Zol
^ How the heck do you get from the original post to waffling on about showers?

Maybe a few could have a look a the first post.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Everyone seems to be using the logic that 'we have all at some point been recipients of upgrades so why deny others this opportunity'.

Conversely, as someone who always ends up on flights that are almost full but never over sold, and has never been upgraded, what should my reaction be?

I flew MEL-DXB earlier this year as the only passenger in F, while both J and Y had only a couple of spare seats. Being the only passenger vs having several passengers in the cabin does make a difference in terms of attentiveness of the crew. I didn't pay for the whole cabin, but if I'm getting something I didn't pay for (nicer cabin ambience), why would I want it taken away?
Generosity, public spirit, selflessness, you get the picture....
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zol
My bad. I apologize on behalf of myself and chinatraderjmr

I honestly don't remember how the conversation got to shower preferences!
Sorry again haha!

-ek202

I just went back and read my previous posts. Quite interesting how we went from upgrades to where and when we like to shower!

Last edited by Emirates202; Oct 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reason: Read previous posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:40 am

My bad. I apologize on behalf of myself and chinatraderjmr

I honestly don't remember how the conversation got to shower preferences!
Sorry again haha!

-ek202

I just went back and read my previous posts. Quite interesting how we went from upgrades to where and when we like to shower!
Went back and had a look.

Still quite intersting. But not relevent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.