Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying EK passenger you have seen?

What's the most annoying EK passenger you have seen?

Old Sep 5, 12, 6:08 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
When flying from the SEA/SFO/LAX to DXB you fly right over the north pole. In the summer this means that the sun is up nearly 24 hours a day, and therefore no matter what time it is, for a good part of the flight the sun is out. Per your advice nobody would ever sleep on these 15 hour flights.

The poster was clearly joking about the passenger wanting to "get a tan", yet you, with complete seriousness, respond that it is assumptive to "think that" as the passenger may have been "watching other flights". I would be concerned about the sanity of anybody that watches out their window looking for other airplanes.

You end by stating that most annoying to you are pax who presume about others. Do these pax presume and judge out loud so that it is an annoyance to you on the flight? Or, do you get annoyed looking at a pax thinking that they may be judging somebody? I am just curious how you go about getting annoyed by something that typically isn't noticeable or visible, yet you get in a tizzy about people that get annoyed by actual physical actions that can generally be classified by most people as something that would cause physical annoyance.

Lastly, I don't think someone that wants to be able to sleep, and finds a passenger that keeps their window open annoying, is guilty of "general insecurity" or "petty elitism". Suggesting so is rather silly. I think it is much more simple than that, I think they simply want to sleep.

+1E+5

Thanks Mike.

Some people just don't get it.
Lol

Last edited by lsed; Sep 6, 12 at 3:34 am Reason: Fixed annoying trailing zeros =)
Old Sep 5, 12, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Aquitania View Post
Very honestly guys, enough.

In case you need complete darkness onboard - get a private jet.

The next thing you would start demanding is not to serve coffee in the cabin while you sleep as its aroma wakes you up.
+1, and without the annoying trailing zeros :-)
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

OK, back on topic...

I mentioned this here a few years ago, but for those that have forgotten...

On a flight from JFK to DXB in Y ( ), I had my meal, watched a movie, and decided to settle down a for a few hours sleep.

I reclined my seat, and the woman behind went ballistic (I'd checked that she wasn't eating or drinking). She started hitting me on head, and causing a right commotion. I shouted at her to quit, at which point a got a tirade of abuse (at least I think it was abuse, as I didn't understand a word of it).

A young FA came along to find out what was going on. I explained to her, and she said that I had to move my seat back up! I refused, so she leant over and did it for me. Of course, as soon as she had gone, it went back down to the reclined position.

The woman behind proceeded to push and bang my seat. I knew she'd get bored before long, so I let her carry on.

I think it must have been reported to the purser, as she came to talk to me before we landed (I was a gold at the time). She asked how the flight had been, and did I have any comments I'd like to make. I contemplated mentioning the FAs behaviour, but I let it go as I didn't want any hassle when we got to Dubai.
Old Sep 5, 12, 2:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I reclined my seat, and the woman behind went ballistic (I'd checked that she wasn't eating or drinking). She started hitting me on head, and causing a right commotion. I shouted at her to quit, at which point a got a tirade of abuse (at least I think it was abuse, as I didn't understand a word of it).

A young FA came along to find out what was going on. I explained to her, and she said that I had to move my seat back up! I refused, so she leant over and did it for me. Of course, as soon as she had gone, it went back down to the reclined position.
I wouldn't even know what to do in such a situation. More baffling is that the FA would ask you to put your seat upright, then do it for you without your consent.
Old Sep 5, 12, 4:01 pm

I wouldn't even know what to do in such a situation. More baffling is that the FA would ask you to put your seat upright, then do it for you without your consent.
Yes, she didn't handle it very well.
Old Sep 5, 12, 5:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Yes, she didn't handle it very well.
My initial guess is that you were less scary to the FA than the woman behind you.

This action, coupled with reports of FAs asking people to move seats when somebody is seat-squatting in their seat leads me to believe that some FAs do all they can to keep the "squeakiest wheel oiled" without much consideration of what is right and wrong.
Old Sep 5, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I think the OP handled it the best way, the FA went away happy, crazy lady wore herself out and the OP got his reclince. I would have mentioned it to the purser though, the FA should have been followed up for a spot of retraining.
Old Sep 5, 12, 10:06 pm

I had a similar experience where the lady behind me did not like when I reclined (no more than half way). She called the FA who explained to her that there was nothing wrong with the picture, and that the lady could change her seat if she did not like it as there were empty seats around.
Old Sep 6, 12, 3:37 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Reminds me of the recent LX flight to Beijing where two PRCs were brawling on the aisle due reclined seat woes.
Old Sep 6, 12, 4:15 am

I had a problem similar flying from DXB to KWI in Y.
During boarding the people sitting in front of our seats were reclined, I don't have a problem with people reclining, but while boarding we couldn't even get into our seats! They didn't budge after asking nicely, and I just gave them a good shove, and some "firm" words. They got the message though, and were nice enough once we were in the air to ask us if it would bother us if they can recline during the meal service.
Old Sep 6, 12, 12:54 pm

Seats should be upright whilst plane is on terra firma. Its also polite and part of ettiquette to be upright during meal times. I have seen many a FA going round telling As Hs to raise up. Other than saids.. what are recliners for??. Its surprising how many non loaf users there are!!
Old Sep 6, 12, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
I think the OP handled it the best way, the FA went away happy, crazy lady wore herself out and the OP got his reclince. I would have mentioned it to the purser though, the FA should have been followed up for a spot of retraining.
I forgot to mention that on the return I got a Y-J upgrade. Coincidence?
Old Sep 6, 12, 5:18 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I forgot to mention that on the return I got a Y-J upgrade. Coincidence?
I hope not^
Old Sep 6, 12, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Aborn View Post
Seats should be upright whilst plane is on terra firma. Its also polite and part of ettiquette to be upright during meal times. I have seen many a FA going round telling As Hs to raise up. Other than saids.. what are recliners for??. Its surprising how many non loaf users there are!!
Why not recline when plane is on the ground? Especially in J/F on a night departure I get on, recline, and just go upright for take off, and then back into lounge mode.
Old Sep 7, 12, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Aborn View Post
Seats should be upright whilst plane is on terra firma.
Ever been sitting on the tarmac for a few hours ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: