Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying EK passenger you have seen?

Old Sep 1, 12, 11:38 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Hey whimike, I feel with you.
Precisely the sort of things that happen with me all the time and it ruins the experience of F. This sort of light annoyance farks up anything you want to do. Whether you decide to stay up watch a movie, work on your laptop, or sleep.

I would have called the flight purser and hammered to have the shades closed. If they refused to intervene, I would have went the suite myself knocked on the door and woke the passenger up. I don't care about what others will think and am not prepared to sit still (like I did in the beginning) waiting for miracles to happen.
Funny you say that, I was having visions of going over to his suite and closing his windows somehow. I just couldn't get myself to do it.
Old Sep 4, 12, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by whimike View Post
It is now the equivalent of 2 AM and I am trying to sleep, but can't because of all the light in the cabin from this guys windows. I call over the FA and ask if they can get him to close his shade, they come back and say his privacy sign is on, door closed, and they can't do anything about it.
Glad to see that the FA did not give in to the flawed "its 2 AM several timezones away so everyone should have their window shades closed" logic.
Old Sep 4, 12, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Hey whimike, I feel with you.
Precisely the sort of things that happen with me all the time and it ruins the experience of F. This sort of light annoyance farks up anything you want to do. Whether you decide to stay up watch a movie, work on your laptop, or sleep.

I would have called the flight purser and hammered to have the shades closed. If they refused to intervene, I would have went the suite myself knocked on the door and woke the passenger up. I don't care about what others will think and am not prepared to sit still (like I did in the beginning) waiting for miracles to happen.
"I shall dictate how other passengers ought to do or not do" - another fine example of the most annoying passenger behavior.
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by makhdoom View Post
"I shall dictate how other passengers ought to do or not do" - another fine example of the most annoying passenger behavior.
Irony noted. But when a passenger is an ignorant just like your comment, I have every right to ask for an intervention.
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:56 am

Moderator Comment

Folks, lets not turn this into a sledging match. Remember, stay away from personal attacks, otherwise I will release The Zol...
Old Sep 4, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Fact is, whether one likes it or not, the passenger has every right to leave their window open and talk to their friends and whatever else may be annoying to some people unless the rules state otherwise. It isn't relevant of someone Believes there is an etiquette for 1st class travel. An emirati might have a different view of acceptable etiquette to a Brit or an Indian etc.

Clearly there is always something that annoys someone but in most cases I say life is too short or is something in my life making me this stressed that I react so badly to this when the hippy in economy can sleep just fine with open windows, food being served and screaming babies!?

Easier said than done I accept but aren't we sometimes in danger of taking ourselves a little too seriously if an open window can ruin a flight and create a bad taste days after the "incident"?
Old Sep 4, 12, 5:59 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Havoc10G View Post
Fact is, whether one likes it or not, the passenger has every right to leave their window open and talk to their friends and whatever else may be annoying to some people unless the rules state otherwise.
They have the "right" to sing karaoke, burp and fart for the entire flight as well, but just because it's a "right" doesn't mean that it's appropriate.
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by makhdoom View Post
Glad to see that the FA did not give in to the flawed "its 2 AM several timezones away so everyone should have their window shades closed" logic.
Considering we flew direct north over the pole, it was 2 AM in the originating city and likely very close to that where we were flying at that moment. So in this case it's your assumption that is flawed.
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Havoc10G View Post
Fact is, whether one likes it or not, the passenger has every right to leave their window open and talk to their friends and whatever else may be annoying to some people unless the rules state otherwise. It isn't relevant of someone Believes there is an etiquette for 1st class travel. An emirati might have a different view of acceptable etiquette to a Brit or an Indian etc.

Clearly there is always something that annoys someone but in most cases I say life is too short or is something in my life making me this stressed that I react so badly to this when the hippy in economy can sleep just fine with open windows, food being served and screaming babies!?

Easier said than done I accept but aren't we sometimes in danger of taking ourselves a little too seriously if an open window can ruin a flight and create a bad taste days after the "incident"?
So, you have no problem if somebody is barking like a dog the entire flight, at full volume? I guess that is not against any rules.

What if the person sitting next to you is bouncing up and down moving your entire seat? Not against the rules either.

On many European and Asian airlines the FA's bark at you if you open your window. Would you then read them the rules then open your window?

This thread is about what people find annoying in passengers and I have stated what I found to be annoying. Did the guy close his window? No. Was I unable to sleep on the flight, yes. Was I annoyed? Yes. Do I have "a bad taste days after", no not at all, simply posting my experience here to share my opinion on what i find to be an annoying passenger.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 4, 12 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 4, 12, 8:09 pm

Apart from one on topic post and a mod warning, this thread has been sidetracked since post #63.

Can the seperate discussion be moved elsewhere?
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by whimike View Post
So, you have no problem if somebody is barking like a dog the entire flight, at full volume? I guess that is not against any rules.

What if the person sitting next to you is bouncing up and down moving your entire seat? Not against the rules either.

On many European and Asian airlines the FA's bark at you if you open your window. Would you then read them the rules then open your window?
Agree

And just to add to that, having a "right" and "not going against any rules" doesn't mean it is entirely fine to do something. Having some consideration for others and the environment around you is important.
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by lsed View Post
For premium cabins, I hate it when the whole cabin has window shades closed and one person decides he would like to get a tan. Even worse when he then falls asleep leaving it open.
If the pax is getting a tan that mean the sun is up outside so one should not be sleeping. One best deals with jet lag by sleeping when it is dark out and being awake when the sun is out. Moreover, it is rather assumptive to think that the pax is simply getting a tan. Perhaps she is enjoying the beauty of the sky, watching other flights, or fighting off claustrophobia. Most annoying are those pax who presume about others, who judge others, etc. So often they only reveal their own petty elitism and general insecurity.
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
If the pax is getting a tan that mean the sun is up outside so one should not be sleeping. One best deals with jet lag by sleeping when it is dark out and being awake when the sun is out. Moreover, it is rather assumptive to think that the pax is simply getting a tan. Perhaps she is enjoying the beauty of the sky, watching other flights, or fighting off claustrophobia. Most annoying are those pax who presume about others, who judge others, etc. So often they only reveal their own petty elitism and general insecurity.
When flying from the SEA/SFO/LAX to DXB you fly right over the north pole. In the summer this means that the sun is up nearly 24 hours a day, and therefore no matter what time it is, for a good part of the flight the sun is out. Per your advice nobody would ever sleep on these 15 hour flights.

The poster was clearly joking about the passenger wanting to "get a tan", yet you, with complete seriousness, respond that it is assumptive to "think that" as the passenger may have been "watching other flights". I would be concerned about the sanity of anybody that watches out their window looking for other airplanes.

You end by stating that most annoying to you are pax who presume about others. Do these pax presume and judge out loud so that it is an annoyance to you on the flight? Or, do you get annoyed looking at a pax thinking that they may be judging somebody? I am just curious how you go about getting annoyed by something that typically isn't noticeable or visible, yet you get in a tizzy about people that get annoyed by actual physical actions that can generally be classified by most people as something that would cause physical annoyance.

Lastly, I don't think someone that wants to be able to sleep, and finds a passenger that keeps their window open annoying, is guilty of "general insecurity" or "petty elitism". Suggesting so is rather silly. I think it is much more simple than that, I think they simply want to sleep.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 5, 12 at 2:15 am
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:55 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Moderator Comment

Fellas, lets end this side discussion and move on. It is not adding value anymore.

Last edited by Zol; Sep 5, 12 at 6:15 am
Old Sep 5, 12, 5:55 am

Very honestly guys, enough.

Onboard commercial flights anyone may do what they choose as long as it is not causing safety issues. In case you need complete darkness onboard - get a private jet.

The next thing you would start demanding is not to serve coffee in the cabin while you sleep as its aroma wakes you up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: