Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Meal Enquiry: Standard vs Special. How can I eat my money's worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Talking Emirates Meal Enquiry: Standard vs Special. How can I eat my money's worth?

SEA-DXB-HYD and return flying in ECONOMY.

Just wondering if somebody from Emirates or someone with experience can help me with this query. This is my first time Im flying with Emirates and Im not sure which meal options should I go with and how can I eat my moneys worth.

- Standard vs Special: Which one is better?
- I love Indian food therefore should I order the HinduNonVeg to make sure that I get meals prepared to my taste?
- What are the portion size? Does the HMLNVG is at par or exceeds the regular portions?
- If I do go with HMLNVG what type of food should I expect? Is it going to be like a Biryani/Tikka/Curry type things?
- Also should I go hungry stomach from Seattle? Should I drink lots of water to expand my stomach? Whats the best way of eating your moneys worth?

Please help, your input is much appreciated.

Kind regards, my stomach.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Not done this particular routing but my recent experience of economy (4 7 hr flights begining July) is that the standard meal is adequate in size and quality - nothing particuarly special (and not as good imho as Air France long haul). I certainly wouldn't go on the flight hungry and I'm not sure how you can "get your money's worth" in economy class. On one of our flights (MAN-DXB) we didn't get a snack - just a meal; on the others (DXB-MRU, MRU-DXB, DXB-MAN) we got a snack as well - one was Ok (but small) the others were not very good at all - two very small sandwiches and a bit of cake.

When I fly long or mid haul I take some snacks (which I don't always eat but at least I have them) as I may want to eat at a time when the crew don't want to feed me (esp. on 14 hr UK-SE Asia).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
With a special meal, the main benefits are that the meal is to your taste and that you get served first.

The SPMLs are the same size [more or less] than the regular meal but I have seen some SPMLs with a skimpy dessert whereas the regular ones have more elaborate ones.

I would recommend the seafood meal if you want to get your moneys worth... fish / seafood is relatively expensive!

If you want to make your stomach happy I would recommend buying a meal before you board!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:29 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Chattersking
SEA-DXB-HYD and return flying in ECONOMY.

Just wondering if somebody from Emirates or someone with experience can help me with this query. This is my first time Im flying with Emirates and Im not sure which meal options should I go with and how can I eat my moneys worth.

- Standard vs Special: Which one is better?
- I love Indian food therefore should I order the HinduNonVeg to make sure that I get meals prepared to my taste?
- What are the portion size? Does the HMLNVG is at par or exceeds the regular portions?
- If I do go with HMLNVG what type of food should I expect? Is it going to be like a Biryani/Tikka/Curry type things?
- Also should I go hungry stomach from Seattle? Should I drink lots of water to expand my stomach? Whats the best way of eating your moneys worth?

Please help, your input is much appreciated.

Kind regards, my stomach.
Hi Chattersking, welcome to FT

First time flying Emirates or first time flying?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have only flown in Y once between SFO and DXB. On both the outbound and return flight there was at least one Indian selection in the standard meals due to the large amount of Indian people that are typically on the flight,

The food is edible, but your stomach will thank you for buying a sandwich or some snacks to bring along prior to boarding.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:59 pm

Personally I'd stick with the regular meal unless I had a particular dietary reason -- on the 4 segments I flew with Emirates last year (SFO-DXB-BLR and back), every meal they brought the special meals out first, and there was a lot of grumbling and asking to have the regular meal instead (generally denied, with a vague promise to see if there were any left over after everyone who didn't order a special meal was served).

I'm sure that whatever meals they offer are carefully cost-controlled -- if fish is generally more expensive, I'd guarantee the quality or portion will be lower to make up for it.

Agree to bring snacks; long flights like that I'm often wanting to sleep when it's time to eat or vice versa, or the meal I want isn't available (one benefit of pre-ordering I suppose), or I'm ravenous at the airport so eat before boarding. Better to keep yourself hydrated, fed, and happy than to worry about getting every last nickel's worth out of EK
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
The only way you can get your money's worth, so to speak, in economy, is by eating everything on your tray. It's still not an awful lot, but frankly I wouldn't really want to eat more than that of what they serve up in Y.

Now your money's worth of alcohol is a whole different matter
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:58 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
To answer your last question - No, going on an empty stomach is generally a bad idea. Pay the terminal sbarro a visit 1-2 hours prior to the flight.

Some ULH flights on EK tend to have some snacks (candy bars, chips) around the galley area, you can literally walk in and grab something to eat. That said, it doesn't hurt to bring something with you.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

So should I go with Hindu Meal or just take the Standard meal?

By the way I plan to detox and purify my body before I leave so that my system is clean. Also I plan on taking my own headphones so that way I get to keep the Aircraft Headphones? Do they provide toothpaste, brush etc? I would also like to keep this as well if possible.

I also heard that there is open Salad bar in the Airlines? Does it mean I can get up and eat as much as I want? How about chocolates? Do they give any?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Also I plan on taking my own headphones so that way I get to keep the Aircraft Headphones?
Just extending the logic - you may want to carry your own blanket, pillow, and cutlery too .....

Do they provide toothpaste, brush etc? I would also like to keep this as well if possible.
There is better stuff (including cologne and moisturizers) in the toilets ...

I also heard that there is open Salad bar in the Airlines? Does it mean I can get up and eat as much as I want?
There are trays with fruits, chocolates, juice, and water that the crew puts up in the galleys typically 3-4 hours into the flight. My advice would be to wear trousers with deep pockets...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you JackieDada.

Im going to wear my Nike sports pants/pyjama which has pockets and you dont need to wear tight belt.
This is my second time sitting in plane and Im very excited for my journey, I know Im not in the same leagues as the rest of you frequent flyers but God willing someday I shall be among your ranks. In the mean time Im just trying to learn the ropes to make sure my journey is as pleasantful and enjoyable as it can be.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold

This is my second time sitting in plane and Im very excited for my journey, I know Im not in the same leagues as the rest of you frequent flyers but God willing someday I shall be among your ranks. In the mean time Im just trying to learn the ropes to make sure my journey is as pleasantful and enjoyable as it can be.
Happy that you feel excited, and have these ''charm'' with you about flying which I've lost unfortunately. Truly I dont even switch on the In flight entertainment these days and try to sleep off after a wine. All I'm up for these days is expecting surprises with op-ups to J not for the food but only for a better sleep.

Make every penny worth, just ''ask'' for it whatever it might be. They won't have brushes/toothpaste in Y class toilets but you can ask for it. FT do not walk around very often serving drinks, again you have to ''ask'' if you need. And I won't advice for any special meals, because like many others said it will be no different other than you being served first.

Enjoy your trip, I wish you get an op-up to J class to make your journey even sweeter.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:54 am

Standard vs special meals on Emirates?

Standard vs special meals on Emirates? The answer is very clear. You get the best meal, even though not your specific choice, with standard meals. Special meals seem to have a tendency to have ‘extra’ ingredients and are usually virtually without any taste whatsoever.
For example:
- DXB-KUL in economy the VGML (strict vegetarian) meal contained a very tasteless vegetable that I could not determine if it was mushy diced potatoes or lumpy mashed potatoes. More interesting were the white plastic flakes hidden in the meal.,
- DXB-HKG in economy the VGML meal had a very jagged piece of hard, clear plastic hidden in it. Had I not seen it it would have done considerable damage to my mouth.
- DXB-DUS in Business the warm VGML dish contained an obnoxious looking yellow oil that smelt of fish, and seafood. The smell was so strong that a fellow passenger commented on it. The cabin crew could not smell ‘anything’. The next day my doctor, as well as numerous toilet visits confirmed that I had indeed suffered an allergic reaction to at least two types of seafood.
- DXB-HAM in Business the VGML meal contained dairy products. This is a common mistake made by many airlines. VGML means NO dairy products and NO egg products but many ignore that vital fact.

Four of my last eight flights from DXB have given cause for complaint whereaas flights to DXB have given no cause for complaint.

Emirates clain to ‘Have the largest and most modern flight kitchens in the World’. The trouble is that they appear to have the attitude ‘Never mind the quality, feel the width’

Take the standard meals but examine each and every mouthful very carefully!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, AAdvantage, Krisflyer Elite Silver
remdk - fellow vegan! Hi!

I've always ordered the strict veg meal and have had an issue only once. Ironically, it was one of the times I flew Business instead of Economy. Economy veg meal was always fine, but once in business I had the same seafood thing.

I asked a stewardess about this and she said that most vegetarians eat fish, so I'm unusual. Nice .
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Dear OP and others ....

By the end of the 1st page, I got tired of the OP's comments and those of others. IMHO, I pay for a 'Bus trip" when I fly. All else is a bonus. If I want a "meal" I certainly don't fly - I eat in a restaurant.

To think that your "will get your money's worth" question reminds me of those complaining of the expense of travel and the associated food costs. My line is "move into a cave and eat cans of pork-and-beans that you got on sale because they were dented. You will save money and travel in your mind when it gets damned cold and damp at night and you WILL start wondering about some nice (and warm and dry) place elsewhere. BUT in your cave you will still eat lots of P&B and will be saving money."

Forget the tongue-in-cheek type of questions and get on with travel. Eat your fill - at a nice restaurant of YOUR choice - before you get on the plane and just nibble at their offerings on-board. That way you get the meal YOU like - or at least you can complain to the maitre d' and chef and get something that sooths your palate in a nicer way.

OTOH, you could go business or 1st class. Now how cost-effective would that be? NNTR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.