Wiki Posts
Search

Wedding / Honeymoon upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Wedding / Honeymoon upgrade

My fiancee and I are flying from BKK to DXB in August towards the end of Eid. We got J tickets and we will be traveling with the wedding dress and a lot of other things after 4 weeks in Asia. We decided to have our honeymoon before the wedding for work-related reasons. Why do things like everybody else!

Do you think there might be a chance of bagging a free upgrade to F if they know we are traveling to our wedding?

Regarding status, I am silver and will need 1800 tier miles to become gold (but this should be done in September). My fiance will be very close to silver (short of 1300 miles after this trip).

We are currently booked on EK375 (777-300) which doesn't have private suites but leaves BKK at a decent time 9.55 as opposed to the A380 which leaves at 1.35 am. There is also EK419 which is a 777 with suites but again it leaves Bangkok at an awkward time 2.40 am.

Is it really worth upgrading? I have enough miles. The lounge in BKK is the same for business and first anyway, as far as I know.

Any tips?

Last edited by fsharp; Jul 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:03 pm

First of all congratulations!

Regarding the upgrade, I think it will be based on operational reasons. I don't think EK do any "compassionate" upgrades as far as I know.

On the 773 stick to J. In my opinion the Lie-flats and Sky Cruisers are about the same minus the mini-bar. Keep your miles for something worth while. Just make sure you are booked in the aisle and window seats rather than the middle ones.

Tips: If booked through Emirates holidays (As I did) your entitled to a honeymoon cake that is served on board. Call the local office to attach a "honeymooner" phrase on your profile, you might get the cake as well! (On my flight though it was a 3am departure out of DXB so we passed on the cake and slept the whole way. Note that we were offered the cake on our flight out of DXB only. A special welcome from the purser on our way back into DXB only. Nothing on the KWI-DXB-KWI legs)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Actually I didn't book through emirates holidays. I only booked the flights through Emirates.com. With a bit of luck the flight might be overbooked as we will get back at the end of the Eid holiday. I thought there wasn't much difference between Lie-flats and Skycruisers too. Although a few glasses of Dom Perignon would be nice instead of the Moet et Chandon NV which is really not that good.

I've seen Taittinger NV and Henriot Brut Souverain NV mentioned on this page but I've never been served any of these champagnes in business. It's always Moet NV and usually it's not cold enough in my opinion.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
I am sure every single flight sees people asking for an upgrade due to their current honeymoon. I am sure agents are immune against it. Calling upfront, as KU104 suggested, might increase the chances though.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I'd stay in J. Sky cruiser F is nothing special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.