Cash Upgrade Econ -> Business

Old Jul 4, 12, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cash Upgrade Econ -> Business

Firstly, thanks in advance.

Five of us flying to DXB this week from GLA, currently booked in Economy on a Travel Agent ticket.

I'm looking to upgrade the tickets using cash. I've phoned Emirates and they said (as I would expect) I have to upgrade via my Travel Agent. Unfortunately, it's not that easy - I've fallen out with the Travel Agent! Would never normally book through a Travel Agent (unless on Business), but that's not the point...

So, a few questions if I may...

1. Do Emirates take over the booking at any point, i.e. T-24, alike other airlines?
2. Do Emirates allow users to upgrade at check in - either online or at the airport?
3. What would you expect the cost to be one-way and return?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 4, 12, 3:45 pm

If you have your PNR you can log on to Manage a Booking on the EK website and try and do it from there.

If you can't do this, go to the Emirates desk at GLA. When you're facing the check in desks it's against the wall right behind you and ask there.

I've only ever flown though DXB on my way elsewhere so don't know prices.
Old Jul 4, 12, 4:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Aeroplan, Club Carlson Silver, Hilton Honor Silver
The last time I did DXB-LHR there was someone trying to upgrade for cash on the plane during boarding. I overheard the purser quote 2000 USD one way. Of course the price would vary by route.
Old Jul 5, 12, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks guys.

Have tried inputting the PNR online but says it's a TA booking when I press upgrade.

Will try phoning Emirates after T-24 to see if they take charge of the booking at any point (in place of the TA). Failing that, I'll see what happens at the airport.
Old Jul 5, 12, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Note that EK will need to recalculate fare at origin. So do it at the airport - if seats are still available.

I don't know what fare you paid.. but the cheapest roundtrip from GLA to DXB in Business is around GBP 1222. So you have to take the difference between the two.. but as that fare has advance purchase conditions, that is why EK wants you to do the upgrade before you go to the airport. Cos at the airport, they may just charge you the full oneway Biz fare for around GBP 2080.

If its not too far, try going to the EK ticketing office (in town or at the airport) and explain the situation to them. They might be able to calculate what the fare diff is and upgrade you there.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 5, 12 at 4:56 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: