FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Upcoming 4th Skywards membership tier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1359969-upcoming-4th-skywards-membership-tier.html)

Budley Jun 24, 12 10:31 am

Upcoming 4th Skywards membership tier

I've read bits and pieces on this, but nothing of substance.

I have a little dilemma, as to whether I should go for 100,000 status miles this year, which ends in November (currently on 90,000). If a new tier were to cut in at this level then it could be worthwhile. And what would the extra benefits of such a tier be, I wonder?

Any advice from those in the know?

eightblack Jun 24, 12 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Budley (Post 18811656)
I've read bits and pieces on this, but nothing of substance.

I have a little dilemma, as to whether I should go for 100,000 status miles this year, which ends in November (currently on 90,000). If a new tier were to cut in at this level then it could be worthwhile. And what would the extra benefits of such a tier be, I wonder?

Any advice from those in the know?

I don't think 100,000 will make the cut. Not that I know for sure, but let's say for a moment that we have heard rumours around the 125-150 mark...

CalFlyer Jun 24, 12 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 18811836)
I don't think 100,000 will make the cut. Not that I know for sure, but let's say for a moment that we have heard rumours around the 125-150 mark...

Given that EY Elite starts at 125K, a similar cut-off at EK might make sense (I would guess, passenger cohort profiles are similar).

WouldLoveToFlyFirst Jun 25, 12 5:35 am

I think the best benefit would be a limited number of uses (say 5 per year) of the First lounges at Dubai when not travelling First.

It must be especially annoying for people who are travelling heavily on routes with no F cabin.

Budley Jun 27, 12 11:44 pm

Thanks for the insights. Based on that I will probably spend my money elsewhere for the time being.

chinatraderjmr Jun 28, 12 6:09 am

Originally Posted by WouldLoveToFlyFirst (Post 18815591)
I think the best benefit would be a limited number of uses (say 5 per year) of the First lounges at Dubai when not travelling First.

It must be especially annoying for people who are travelling heavily on routes with no F cabin.

Only if travelling on a J fare. I can't see letting a Y pax now in the DXB F lounge. (maybe (maybe) if there is a higher tier at 125-150K but certainly not anything less

jackiedada Jun 28, 12 4:02 pm

.... let's say for a moment that we have heard rumours around the 125-150 mark...

So, there is a 4th tier coming?

Dave Noble Jun 28, 12 4:25 pm

1st lounge access is something I would definitely not want to see happen. The F lounge is a great lounge at the moment with it being pretty restricted mainly to those in 1st class

jackiedada Jun 29, 12 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18838599)
1st lounge access is something I would definitely not want to see happen. The F lounge is a great lounge at the moment with it being pretty restricted mainly to those in 1st class

I would assume it might. Most of the other premium tiers, Etihad Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum One, Lufthansa Hon Circle, do. And these are EKs main competitors, so they will in all probability try to match the benefits...

Dave Noble Jun 29, 12 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 18842372)
I would assume it might. Most of the other premium tiers, Etihad Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum One, Lufthansa Hon Circle, do. And these are EKs main competitors, so they will in all probability try to match the benefits...

Ugh.. that QF allows Platinum members and anyone with OW Emerald in the F lounges in SYD/MEL makes the lounges significantly worse than the EK F lounge in DXB

eightblack Jun 29, 12 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18838599)

Dave for once, I agree with you :) I wouldn't want to see F lounge access diluted in DXB. At present, i/O's have unlimited access privileges at the F lounge (ie unlimited access for member and guests, regardless of class of travel). That's the only tier in my opinion who should qualify

I think once the 4th tier is announced, you're more likely to see family type passes issued to that tier for use in the J lounge or outstation lounges (select) LHR lounge access is unlikely to be eased anytime soon due to the load.

Be interesting to see what happens when C3 is opened and the new F and J lounges open there - thats an additional capacity to what they have now (approx 2500 in J and 1200 in F).

jackiedada Jun 30, 12 4:00 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 18844872)
I think once the 4th tier is announced...

Any clues on how soon this is going to be announced, days, weeks, months or next year. Shall plan on accumulating my tier miles accordingly :)

DYKWIA Jun 30, 12 5:24 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 18846598)
Any clues on how soon this is going to be announced, days, weeks, months or next year. Shall plan on accumulating my tier miles accordingly :)

I don't think anyone on here know for definate. EK always keep these sort of things close to their chest.