Baggage transfer

Old Jun 19, 12, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Baggage transfer

OK, this is not strictly just about Emirates, but I just checked in for EK407 (MEL-DXB) and told the check-in agent I was then going to be on VS401 (DXB-LHR), on the off chance they could send my luggage straight through.

Normally when I do long routes like this I like to keep it to one airline, this is the first time I've used two, and I was shocked they can send the bags straight through, even on a different airline

Is this only certain airlines with certain agreements? She did ask and when I said VA said "no problem" so I'm presuming it is. I didn't expect them to be able to though and was expecting a bit of a palava in Dubai with bags. Happy now!
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It isn't uncommon with Emirates. Most airlines can transfer bags onwards to other airlines if they choose to but not something that they are obligated to do when it is on separate tickets

Some airlines ( such as BA and QF ) have policies to not check the bags through on separate tickets to non-partner airlines even though they could if they chose to
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It isn't uncommon with Emirates. Most airlines can transfer bags onwards to other airlines if they choose to but not something that they are obligated to do when it is on separate tickets

Some airlines ( such as BA and QF ) have policies to not check the bags through on separate tickets to non-partner airlines even though they could if they chose to
Yeah I was surprised. I do fly a lot, but like I say normally just 1 airline even if it's 3+ legs. Pleasantly surprised how easy she made it at the desk. Good stuff.

Sounds typical of QF and BA to be like that tbh, from my experience of them.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
Yeah I was surprised. I do fly a lot, but like I say normally just 1 airline even if it's 3+ legs. Pleasantly surprised how easy she made it at the desk. Good stuff.

Sounds typical of QF and BA to be like that tbh, from my experience of them.
What BA/QF do is really the case to assume when using different tickets, but I have found EK to be very helpful. Had them transfer bags onto BA and v recently had them connect bags from SIN-DXB with overnight in DXB, on to LCA in the morning and then transfer to a separate booking on CY to STN... very conveniant and amazingly, the bags actually arrived in STN on same flight as me despite overnight stops and connecting to CY

Search this Thread
Search Engine: