Charges for cancelling upgrade?

Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Charges for cancelling upgrade?

I recently called Emirates reservations from Sydney to cancel an upgrade from Y to C I had previously made with miles. Seems I got a male agent in Sydney who told me it would cost me GBP 75 to revert to my original booking, even though there were seats available in the booking class. I thought ... and kindly declined the offer.

I later called again, spoke to someone in an Indian call centre and the change back to Y class was made quickly and without charge.

So what's going on?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:37 am

One of the agents is at fault. Though I'm inclined to think that the first one assumed a ticket re-issue fee was due, whereas the second didn't see that as needed.

I've never cancelled an upgrade before though once I had to change dates on an upgraded ticket and the agent insisted I had to pay a re-issue fee since the original ticket conditions apply as I was told .

Thinking of it now, upgrading the inbound portion of a saver ticket will not extend the ticket's validity. So perhaps you got away with it
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:45 am

Changed an J upgrade back to Y on the JNB-DXB route because of change of aircraft (380>777) without any problems or charges.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:08 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
There is no charge for cancelling an upgrade and reverting to your original booking. The agent was mistaken
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Yes, it's supposed to be free, it's somewhere in the T&Cs.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Many (all?) EK fare rules say something along the line of "do not charge change fee for skywards upgrades."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.