FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Membership status question, thank you for your advice in advance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1352180-membership-status-question-thank-you-your-advice-advance.html)

wtjulianchan Jun 1, 2012 11:33 am

Membership status question, thank you for your advice in advance

Hi everyone,

I've been a Silver with EK but have just been dropped back to Blue starting from today due to 1000 miles short of the renewal requirement. However I just found out that my Silver status actually ends on 30 June, but interestingly I'll regain Silver by the 31st July since I will have accumulated enough miles within a 12-month period. Yet there'll be a one month period where I'll be Blue... how rather odd. Is my understanding correct?

Now my question is: I actually have a flight with EK which departs Europe on the evening of the 30th June, arriving at DXB on 1st July, where I'll have a connecting flight onwards to Asia within 24 hours.

Will I lose all my SL benefits for the journey especially with extra luggage, and will there be a lounge invitation for DXB? Will my BP say SL and will I be recognised on either of the flights? Has anyone had this sort of experience previously?

Many thanks indeed.

Havoc10G Jun 2, 2012 6:28 am

Well it seems to me, if I understood your post correctly, that you will fly out as silver by right. If you are issued BP all the way to Asia from Europe will probably be silver all the way. If you need to get your BP on arrival then my guess would be depends on if they consider it to be one booking ( then you might get lucky) or, which is not unusual, the computer system doesn't update your status until the next working day. That would be my 10c worth anyway!

oakb Jun 2, 2012 7:43 am

I recently had a similar situation, Departed LHR-DXB on the 7th Jan as Silver continued the onward leg DXB to PVG on April 10th and when I picked up my boarding pass in DXB for PVG it still showed silver, even though I lost silver at the end of March.
Needless to say, like you I was 1000 miles off silver at the end of the complete trip LHR-PVG-LHR. But my return LHR-DXB-LHR pulled me back into line..!!

wtjulianchan Jun 2, 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Havoc10G (Post 18684386)
Well it seems to me, if I understood your post correctly, that you will fly out as silver by right. If you are issued BP all the way to Asia from Europe will probably be silver all the way. If you need to get your BP on arrival then my guess would be depends on if they consider it to be one booking ( then you might get lucky) or, which is not unusual, the computer system doesn't update your status until the next working day. That would be my 10c worth anyway!

Thank you for your reply! Yes that's right I'll be flying out as silver, and both boarding passes for the two flights have always been issued at the departure airport and not at DXB, as everything's within one booking. Hopefully I can still enjoy those benefits then!

wtjulianchan Jun 2, 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by oakb (Post 18684615)
I recently had a similar situation, Departed LHR-DXB on the 7th Jan as Silver continued the onward leg DXB to PVG on April 10th and when I picked up my boarding pass in DXB for PVG it still showed silver, even though I lost silver at the end of March.
Needless to say, like you I was 1000 miles off silver at the end of the complete trip LHR-PVG-LHR. But my return LHR-DXB-LHR pulled me back into line..!!

Excellent to know that you've experienced it, wow never knew you could have a 3-month stopover still on one booking. Thanks anyway!

oakb Jun 2, 2012 1:01 pm

Its the Multi-City option if you book online, but I always phone in and book as I don't have any plastic having to live in Kabul.
All the tickets I have book in the last four years have been that way. I think they can do it up to about 13months breaking your flight up through DXB as you want. But don't quote me on it, however I have never had a problem..

PEET7G Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am

Hi everyone, user here :)

I have a question and thought this might be a good thread for it.
I have my status review date on the 30th of this month, and have been a Gold member for 3 or 4 years now in a row. I was Gold ever since this new rolling 13 months period system came into effect so I don't have any idea what will happen to me now. I will miss my renewing limit, as I only had 2 Business class flights with them in the last 12 months. The last one was around 5-6 months ago, so my question is, will my tier miles be zeroed out after June 30th or will I only lose the ones older than 12 months?
- However I will have 2 other business class flights with them during this summer, so if they keep the less than 12 months old tier miles in my account, I will be back to Gold again within a month, but if I will have all tier miles zeroed out in my account, I will only be back to Gold some time in September.
Thanks for any insight...

Zol Jun 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi PEET7G, welcome to FT

Since it is a rolling 13 months period, you only loose the miles that have been earned outside that period (ie 14 months ago). So every month that goes by pas the 30th of June you start dropping tier miles earned prior to that and so on.

Originally Posted by PEET7G (Post 18776428)
Hi everyone, user here :)

I have a question and thought this might be a good thread for it.
I have my status review date on the 30th of this month, and have been a Gold member for 3 or 4 years now in a row. I was Gold ever since this new rolling 13 months period system came into effect so I don't have any idea what will happen to me now. I will miss my renewing limit, as I only had 2 Business class flights with them in the last 12 months. The last one was around 5-6 months ago, so my question is, will my tier miles be zeroed out after June 30th or will I only lose the ones older than 12 months?
- However I will have 2 other business class flights with them during this summer, so if they keep the less than 12 months old tier miles in my account, I will be back to Gold again within a month, but if I will have all tier miles zeroed out in my account, I will only be back to Gold some time in September.
Thanks for any insight...

ft101 Jun 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Similar question here:

Review at end of June
June 2010 to June 2011 – 25K, Silver renewed.
July 2011 to April 2012 – 25K, Silver renewal qualified for 2 months prior to review date.
May 2012 - 6K,
June 2012 to May 2013 – 19K

From May 2012 to May 2013 I’ll have achieved 25K since I earned enough to renew the previous year’s Silver, but if my account is not reviewed until June 2013 the 6K in May 2012 will drop off. How will Skywards see this?

I have another trip I'm trying to schedule between now and the end of the year that could give me Gold, but struggling to fit it in so would hate to just miss out and shortly afterwards find myself losing Silver as well.

Dave Noble Jun 19, 2012 1:25 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 18777936)
Similar question here:

Review at end of June
June 2010 to June 2011 – 25K, Silver renewed.
July 2011 to April 2012 – 25K, Silver renewal qualified for 2 months prior to review date.
May 2012 - 6K,
June 2012 to May 2013 – 19K

From May 2012 to May 2013 I’ll have achieved 25K since I earned enough to renew the previous year’s Silver, but if my account is not reviewed until June 2013 the 6K in May 2012 will drop off. How will Skywards see this?

My understanding is that you will maintain silver status until end June 2013 and , unless have earned 25k in the 12 months to end of June, will drop to blue. Once blue then a 13 month period will be used to determine promotion to silver

ft101 Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18780727)
My understanding is that you will maintain silver status until end June 2013 and , unless have earned 25k in the 12 months to end of June, will drop to blue. Once blue then a 13 month period will be used to determine promotion to silver

Thanks, although that's not what I had hoped for and seems a bit shady.

Fortunately my Plan B has come through and I've just booked a trip in J GLA-BKK that'll give me Gold by the end of the year. First time on the new evening flight from GLA in the A340-300 as well so that'll be interesting.

Dave Noble Jun 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 18791255)

I wouldn't say it is shady; I think EK's membership qualification system is about the fairest one out there; unlike many (most?) schemes there is no fixed membership year anymore which had bigger issues; e.g. fly 20k in dec and 20k in jan and still be blue due to membership year reset

Allowing any 13 months to qualify and then 12 to renew seems very reasonable rather than shady and more generous than par

Originally Posted by ft101
Fortunately my Plan B has come through and I've just booked a trip in J GLA-BKK that'll give me Gold by the end of the year. First time on the new evening flight from GLA in the A340-300 as well so that'll be interesting.

That sorts out the problem nicely

StublueKPL Jun 21, 2012 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 18791255)

its one of the older planes i believe. my g/f is sfs and tries to bid for the glasgow flights as much as possible to get home.

the ice service is nowhere near as good as the day flight (she just did the flight last week) and i know the planes can change but lets hope that they get the 777-300ER on that flight as well as well as the daytime one.

ft101 Jun 21, 2012 6:58 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 18794501)
.... but lets hope that they get the 777-300ER on that flight as well as well as the daytime one.

Upgrade to B777-300ER has already been announced for 1st January 2013.

PEET7G Jun 25, 2012 3:40 am

Thanks for the reply Zol :)