EK to cut LAX flights by half

Old May 28, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT

In a surprise move that reflects the performance of its LAX route, EK has decided to reduce the twice daily flights to LAX to one daily flight only starting Aug 1, 2012 using a 77L on that route.

I wonder if that is the beginning of EK re-evaluation of it North American network based on profitability rather than its crazy expansion program ? As we have seen they started the cut with IAH and then LAX follows.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; May 28, 2012 at 8:06 am
Old May 28, 2012, 7:24 am

Their ULH routes are extra costly. It's only natural to reduce capacity/frequency when yields and loads are low, or that extra capacity can go onto a better performing route.

The morning flight ex-SYD (EK415) still doesn't make sense to me. They tried it before it didn't go well (they said that the aircraft was put for better use elsewhere). Now they have it daily.
For weeks ahead it's wide open. Even during the peak period of end of June/mid July there is availability down to B buckets. And the busiest days are naturally on Saturdays. From a scheduling point of view it is a nicely timed flight for onward connections. But it's a horrid thing to go to SYD at 3 in the morning (unless you're a party animal and the idea of clubbing on two consecutive nights on both sides of the world fancies you).

Maybe that EK218 has similar issues for its odd timing from LAX despite connecting well with the PM flights from DXB.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 6 am departure ex SYD is a great one; can leave home at 4:15, be at airport at 4:50 and be away at 6. No traffic on the roads and a nice daytime service north
Old May 28, 2012, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
The morning flight ex-SYD (EK415) still doesn't make sense to me. They tried it before it didn't go well (they said that the aircraft was put for better use elsewhere). Now they have it daily.
EK always doing this: throwing huge capacity on certain routes to phase out competition, however, with LAX and IAH routes it looks like its back firing at EK.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold

I think there are a few things to consider. While the numbers may be there, EK is not competitively priced to the US, or from the US. With fewer aircraft coming in its possible they have better use for it elsewhere. I can't think of any other airline that offers such high capacity on one of its longest routes. QF/SQ Tpac are all once daily, so not surprised. Would be interesting to know what they plan to use the freed up planes for.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
EK always doing this: throwing huge capacity on certain routes to phase out competition, however, with LAX and IAH routes it looks like its back firing at EK.
Its not backfiring, but rather a shift in the network traffic flow.

LAX and SFO have been the gateways for all EK's western USA traffic. With the opening up of SEA and the move to AS rather than UA as an interline feed partner for western markets, it is logical that the LAX capacity needed to be rationalised accordingly.

Eg.If you wanted to fly from Reno to Dubai before, you'd be routed RNO-UA-LAX/SFO-EK-DXB. Now you'll be routed RNO-AS-SEA-EK-DXB.

Additionally, the increase of the feeder banks in Dubai to provide more convenient connections in key O&D markets to a single ULH operation permits this to occur with minimal loss of city pair connectivity.

IAH was a similar situation with the traffic now being split between IAH and the new DFW route (which contributed a sizeable chunk of the IAH traffic to begin with).

As more gateways come online, there will be a shift in capacity over existing gateways as the traffic flows change. It is a natural and healthy consequence of network operations.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
What New City Will Open?

Well, since EK cannibalized the 2nd IAH flight for DFW, do you think that EK will cannibalize this 2nd LAX flight for a surprise "New City" announcement? Otherwise, where are those aircraft going?
Old May 28, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by aeropix
Well, since EK cannibalized the 2nd IAH flight for DFW, do you think that EK will cannibalize this 2nd LAX flight for a surprise "New City" announcement? Otherwise, where are those aircraft going?
Probably not anytime soon unless if they have a freeing up some aircraft. Probably EK will consider service to ORD, DTW, BOS or MIA. That will be good enough to start a direct flight to MIA, ORD, BOS or ATL.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I read somewhere (maybe on here) that EK are building a lounge at LAX. Is this so?

Will it be the 77L or the 77W which does the DXB-LAX route?
Old May 28, 2012, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aeropix
Probably ORD. EY is doing great here and I am sure EK will consider entering this market soon.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:53 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JTXC
I read somewhere (maybe on here) that EK are building a lounge at LAX. Is this so?

Will it be the 77L or the 77W which does the DXB-LAX route?
77L
Old May 28, 2012, 6:39 pm

I think that we will eventually hear that this move was necessitated by the ongoing A380 issues. As from September 01, EK will temporarily reduce DXB CPT from twice daily to just daily as well. Meanwhile, the A380 will be taken off the JNB route from July 01 until the start of the winter schedule and the deployment of the A380 on the EK029/030 LHR rotation has been further pushed back. The A380 issues have been seriously hampering EK operations and will continue to do so it seems.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Probably ORD. EY is doing great here and I am sure EK will consider entering this market soon.
Yes, it will get more tougher competition against EY. I'm sure EK will start ORD service sometime in the future. Maybe they will put on entire 77W or A380. I think the terminal 5 will have installed a double dual jetbridge for an entire A380. They needed more room for A380 gates. EK will take the advantage of next new US service.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:13 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Well, I guess the unfortunate reality is that not too many people like 17-18 hour flights. Unless they had reason to fly via Dubai (or lived in Dubai).

Would be interesting to see what they do with the (at least) 2 long-range aircraft they get from cutting the second daily.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Great - another Routes/Rumours thread!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.