FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   A great time flying into LGW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1342394-great-time-flying-into-lgw.html)

PPS1 May 3, 2012 6:33 am

A great time flying into LGW

Hello,

I'm a very frequent traveller (personal travel) on the DXB-LHR-DXB route (once every 10 days or so). Went to book my usual EK ticket when I saw the prices were very high and the flight I wanted to take (the 3.40pm flight) was full.

Anyhow, I booked DXB-LGW-DXB (much cheaper ticket, by approx AED700) - I hadn't flown into LGW for many many years, so was looking forward to it.

It was actually a great flight - I way prefer the B773 to the A388. LGW doesn't seem to be an elite-heavy sector (so the purser told me, LHR is the main elite route), so I got a lot of attention from the cabin staff, being the only Gold in Economy!

Baggage claim very fast, and straight out into the main terminal, which was quite empty!

A very welcome change from LHR and I shall be using this new route for the forseeable future.

Any other experiences LGW vs LHR?

JudeS May 3, 2012 6:54 am

That is what started us flying EK - the fact that they fly from LGW which is our closest airport, and which we have to pass to get to LHR! It is well worth paying slightly more for a seat on EK than having to drive to LHR to get a cheaper(marginally) flight with another airline. I love LGW (North terminal) - South terminal is not as nice IMO,but still preferable to LHR

jackiedada May 3, 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by PPS1 (Post 18505865)
LGW doesn't seem to be an elite-heavy sector (so the purser told me, LHR is the main elite route), so I got a lot of attention from the cabin staff, being the only Gold in Economy!

WOW! That must have been wonderful ^

Zol May 3, 2012 2:00 pm

I like LGW, its quieter, quicker and cheaper than LHR but I somehow still find myself choosing LHR. It is just closer to Central London

Dave Noble May 3, 2012 2:55 pm

I much prefer Gatwick to Heathrow too. it is more conveniant for me and the airport is just so much better for arriving and departing from.

As far as conveniance for Central London goes, Heathrow may be closer but journey times are similar. Gatwick to Victoria is 30 minutes vs 15 on Heathrow express or 30 mins on Heathrow Connect. If wanting to get closer to the City of London, it takes 35mins to London Bridge

A fair bit of the 20 mins is saved over the extra time I find it tends to take from the aeroplane leaving the runway until can be clear of Customs.

If wanting to hire a car , Gatwick has the benefit that the major car hire companies are at the terminal rather than waiting for a 20 min frequency service to drive to an off airport location

On departing, no long walks around the airport; a fairly short distance to the lounge and not far from the lounge to the gate

eightblack May 3, 2012 3:04 pm

I must admit I have never been to LGW but given the comments above, will consider it later this year as I have to be in London in October.

alpha5eight May 4, 2012 1:13 am

Have to agree - LGW is my closest UK airport but I would choose it anyway as LHR is just a nightmare. Flew into there in August last year because of having to drive straight down to the South West and the contrast between stepping out of an F suite and into the national-disgrace-cum-building-site that is T3 was jaw-dropping. Yes, you get to fly the A380 into LHR but LGW is quicker, cleaner and much better organised; trains have a slightly longer journey time but they take you (as mentioned above) straight into either London Bridge or Victoria, none of this fannying about at Paddington. Because LGW is smaller, it has a much more pleasant "feel" than LHR and is overall a better experience. I really can't understand why anyone in their right mind would actually choose Heathrow...and Gatwick fares are indeed slightly cheaper!

ukdoctor May 4, 2012 10:35 am

Plus the airport staff at LGW are the most pleasant lot I have seen in the UK. I have yet to meet a grumpy airport staff member at LGW and this includes security as well. Contrast this with MAN or LPL where you'll be lucky to get a smile!!!!