Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

I took a gamble, and it didn’t pay off.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald

I am flying to MEL tomorrow from LHR, via DXB. EK4 then EK406. I took a gamble and booked the flex Y tickets, as it’s not business but for vacation. I then upgraded the UK to DXB legs using miles. Now, my hope was that being Gold, and buying Flex tickets I ‘should’ be towards the top of the list for upgrades, not expected but just as an experiment. I also thought I should be in line with one of those upgrade emails which has been written so often about on here.

Well its almost 24hrs until we board and Y on the DXB to MEL is wide open, at least 9 seats and the seat map on EF shows loads of room.
I believe the expression rhymes with ‘clucking bell’

Still, having just returned from Atlanta with Delta in their ‘Business Elite’ class, I will never moan about EK again.

Delta are a complete shower of sh*te.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:18 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hmmm, I think the consensus is that you're less likely to get an upgrade email the higher your status.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I also think that the email only comes when J/C/I/O > 0 AND Y=0. So if you have J9 C9 I9 O9 Y9 then you probably won't get an email.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Are you going to come back to EK, EK 004? We miss you.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JTXC
Are you going to come back to EK, EK 004? We miss you.
Oh you!

My work is taking me west at the moment and although I can take EK it adds a lot of time to my travels, so I am taking other carriers like Delta. Also, as a bonus, BA First, is on sale!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I also think that the email only comes when J/C/I/O > 0 AND Y=0. So if you have J9 C9 I9 O9 Y9 then you probably won't get an email.
Yep, I know. When I booked the flights I was even looking to see which flights sold out on a regular basis, it seems that this week is a bit of a 'blip'
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Now its only showing 5 seats!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Noticed on flight tracker EK 406 was nearly 4 hours late into MEL yesterday hopefully this wont b the case for your trip.

On a side note after going to AKL and back to MEL it was only 15 minutes late for its 407 flight, now thats making up some time
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by EK004 Regular
I am flying to MEL tomorrow from LHR, via DXB. EK4 then EK406. I took a gamble and booked the flex Y tickets, as it’s not business but for vacation. I then upgraded the UK to DXB legs using miles. Now, my hope was that being Gold, and buying Flex tickets I ‘should’ be towards the top of the list for upgrades, not expected but just as an experiment. I also thought I should be in line with one of those upgrade emails which has been written so often about on here.

Well its almost 24hrs until we board and Y on the DXB to MEL is wide open, at least 9 seats and the seat map on EF shows loads of room.
I believe the expression rhymes with ‘clucking bell’

Still, having just returned from Atlanta with Delta in their ‘Business Elite’ class, I will never moan about EK again.

Delta are a complete shower of sh*te.
From my own experience, booking FLEX vs SAVER wont impact of affect your op-up availability. I only book Flex because I hate the whole half rate tier miles and reward miles. Ok, I may not "need" them, but it's beside the point. And many times, the differential between the Flex and Saver fare is minimal (on the routes I fly)

If I was you, and I know this would have extended your trip, I would have gone DXB-SIN-MEL. You used miles to handle the LHR to DXB leg, you may have struggled to clear the DXB-SIN leg (very elite heavy) but you would have been in a very good position op-up wise between SIN and MEL.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:47 am

Your previous post (#13 on this thread)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-skywards.html

indicated the Gold Desk had sorted out your upgrades. What happened?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm also flying EK004 today (March 2). F and C are totally full, but Y is half full (asked at the Skywards desk in the Dubai lounge yesterday). So, no upgrade for me, you're lucky to get one! I also booked flex Y, got the upgrade on the outbound, however, so I'm happy.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
I'm also flying EK004 today (March 2). F and C are totally full, but Y is half full (asked at the Skywards desk in the Dubai lounge yesterday). So, no upgrade for me, you're lucky to get one! I also booked flex Y, got the upgrade on the outbound, however, so I'm happy.
See you in the lounge! I will be with the wife.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
From my own experience, booking FLEX vs SAVER wont impact of affect your op-up availability. I only book Flex because I hate the whole half rate tier miles and reward miles. Ok, I may not "need" them, but it's beside the point. And many times, the differential between the Flex and Saver fare is minimal (on the routes I fly)

If I was you, and I know this would have extended your trip, I would have gone DXB-SIN-MEL. You used miles to handle the LHR to DXB leg, you may have struggled to clear the DXB-SIN leg (very elite heavy) but you would have been in a very good position op-up wise between SIN and MEL.
'I' would have done that, my wife wasn't so keen!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Great flight from LHR - DXB but DXB - MEL was a total nightmare!

We were seated in the forward mini Y cabin, row 17? Anyway, the fasten seatbelt sign was on for 6 hours during the second halF of the flight, with no sign of any bumps or turbulence, just smooth air. This meant when I really needed to go to the loo I was stuck. We called the cabin crew and I asked if the sign was meant to be on, all she said was 'yes'. I have no idea why.

The temperature of the cabin went up and down, from freezing cold to baking hot in a couple of minutes, but the worse thing was the screaming children in the cabin. I know there is nothing they can do about it but there were 4 children all under 12 months old and they did not stop screaming from wheels up to touch down. Real high pitched screaming which meant no sleep on the entire flight.

This was my first trip in Y as a gold and I didn't expect any special welcome or anything, which is good, because I got nothing at all.

All in a poor experience, but still better than Delta J class ;o)
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Returning home, London, on the 23rd. Currently on the waiting list for upgrades to business. The flight is full in Y, not a single seat - EK407.

Waiting for an email now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.