FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates Airline new sponsor of US Open tennis tournament (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1315180-emirates-airline-new-sponsor-us-open-tennis-tournament.html)

Face81 Feb 17, 2012 4:03 am

Emirates Airline new sponsor of US Open tennis tournament

Did not know where to put this, but a very clever move by EK to raise it's US profile :)

Emirates Airline new sponsor of US Open tennis tournament

The National staff

Feb 17, 2012

Emirates Airline has signed on as the title sponsor of the US Open tennis tournament, the Wall Street Journal reported yesterday.

The seven-year deal is worth US$90 million (Dh330m) and includes the series of nine men's and women's tournaments leading up to the US Open, the newspaper said.

A spokesman for Emirates said the deal is part of the airline's involvement in sports marketing worldwide. The company has the naming rights to Arsenal's football stadium, a sponsorship deal with AC Milan and deals with 15 golf tournaments.

"We are in sports because they are watched globally and we can guarantee a global reach," Boutros Boutros, the airline's senior vice president for communications, told the Journal.

Lew Sherr, the chief revenue officer of the US Tennis Association (USTA), said the deal will increase global recognition for the Open and the tournaments that lead up to it.
Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/tenn...nis-tournament

http://i40.tinypic.com/4gjlua.jpg

yoonny Feb 17, 2012 7:17 am

Cool. It would be nice if I can redeem Skywards miles for some US Open tickets.

j-rad Feb 17, 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by yoonny (Post 18033006)

Agreed - need to get rid of 60k miles and would love to exchange for US Open tickets.

kyym Feb 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Interesting - they used to sponsor the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament (Masters 1000 series) the last couple of years, and I didn't see them on the sponsor list this year and was wondering if they felt it did not pay off.

But I see now that they have upped the ante, and are doubling down on their tennis investments for nationwide exposure.

Probably my best experience as a long-term Skywards Gold member was a complimentary invitation to the Emirates Box at Indian Wells last year to see the men's quarter finals (saw Djokovic and Federer in the singles and Federer again in the doubles with Wawrinka against Nadal/partner!).

Great experience - the motif was "First Class Service", champagne service on walking in (by crew flying to LAX who were dedicated to working at the event), and lots of great food/drink to go with the tennis.

Most of the invitees were travel agents/consolidators - I got to go with an EK staff member who was a friend, but it was probably easier for him to get me the invitation since I was a long-term EK Gold card holder.

This is now my first year in 9 years that I'll drop out of Gold status...but I will probably still try to make one EK J RT to India once my 1K and SEN qualifications for the year are done (especially in my 'off' year for SEN qualification). The SFO lounge is an added incentive!

DYKWIA Feb 18, 2012 7:08 am

Originally Posted by yoonny (Post 18033006)

Completely off topic, but I paid about $200 for a Saturday evening ticket at the US Open a couple of years ago. It was supposed to start at 7pm

The afternoon session had a mammoth 5 setter (Roddick against someone), and didn't finish until 9:30pm.

So, I got to my seat at 10pm, and then had to watch some crappy presentation to the family of some tennis star who'd died about 20 years earlier.

The tennis started at 10:40pm, and I had to leave at 11:00 to get the last train back :mad:

yoonny Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18038920)
Completely off topic, but I paid about $200 for a Saturday evening ticket at the US Open a couple of years ago. It was supposed to start at 7pm

The afternoon session had a mammoth 5 setter (Roddick against someone), and didn't finish until 9:30pm.

So, I got to my seat at 10pm, and then had to watch some crappy presentation to the family of some tennis star who'd died about 20 years earlier.

The tennis started at 10:40pm, and I had to leave at 11:00 to get the last train back :mad:

Those late night matches usually are classic... The starting times @ US Open are only suggested times as there are no many variable that would impact the matches and starting times. I love it when there are couple of rainout days b/c then you get to see top players in the more intimate courts.

You can never really "buy" those lower level tix b/c they are pretty much given to the sponsors. So Emirates will have hundreds of tix to hand out to VIPs and its employees.