Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian Meals Running Out In Y!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

I always order asian vegetarian meals and for SFO-DXB and DXB-SFO sector it is served as an option and not as a special meal (there is always a vegetarian option on the regular meal menu card) but depending on where you sit most of the time the vegetarian meals are out before they reach the end of the plane in the 777-300ER like 46J. In 2011 I did 5 flights in Y and had this problem in 4 of my flights. Who do I complain to? Why cant they just give the special order meals first like they do on all other sectors on these sectors too?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could try asking the FA when you board the aircraft - I have had some luck with this when airlines serve 'free for all' meals, although not on Emirates specifically.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:51 pm

Not sure 100% what you mean.

If you're talking about an option on the menu (regardless of whether it's labelled as a "asian vegetarian meal" or not) running out early, then I guess there's little they can do - they only load a certain number of each menu and once it runs out, it runs out. You would just have to order the vegetarian meal as a special meal in advance.

If you're saying that your special meal order is being given to other people and you go hungry, then of course you have a cause for complaint. But I'm not sure whether this is what you are actually talking about.

Which is it?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
Because so many people order AVML on this sector (sometimes as many as 100) it took the crew up to 45 minutes to deliver them all by hand. It was decided it is not fair to keep everyone else waiting that long before starting the main service so they now load all the ordered AVMLs plus an extra 10%. These are then distributed with the normal service.

I agree with your complaint and am sorry that it happened. I would suggest booking a VGML VLML or VOML as these are still delivered separately.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:51 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I order VJMLs (Vegetarian Jain Meal) out of JFK, they're quite good too (love the chocolate mousse).

But if I had confirmed my meal online I would be seriously pissed off it I don't get it 4 out of 5 times.

Last edited by Xlr; Feb 19, 2012 at 12:05 am
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Or, after it has happened so many times, why don't you select a seat that's at the front of the aircraft? 16 hours is a long time to go without proper food.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Maybe EK could load the AVMLs on the regular card but not put them on the menu? Then I'm sure people will AVMLs will ask for them and the crew can give it during the regular meal service?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: none
Try politely asking the FA something like, "I would like a X meal (for whatver your reason), but I'm sitting in seat Y"

Make it clear you're not asking to be served early, just asking for your choice if possible If you do it ahead of time it will usually work
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:59 am

Just carry your own food/drinks on board. Solves all these problems.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:37 pm

This happened to my family member who is a veg travelling dxb-lax and had requested veg meal.she told the FA that she was a strict vegetarian and the FA arranged some veg meal for her.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Veg Meals Running out

Originally Posted by stargold

If you're saying that your special meal order is being given to other people and you go hungry, then of course you have a cause for complaint. But I'm not sure whether this is what you are actually talking about.

Which is it?
I order special meal asian vegetaian when I book online. On some sectors like DXB-KUL they serve it first with all orher special order meals but on SFO-DXB sector and DXB India sectors they say it is being served as a normal option on printed menu. Inspire of my name having AVML against it on the manifest I have not got the meal ordered.
As for 46J 46K seats they are ideal for big and tall guys with no one brushing against you in aisle, no gally noise or people standing in front of you like in exit rows on long flights. Also these seats have better leg space and no audio box at feet on the 300ER model.
I now make it a point to talk to FA and tell them this problem but they just dont seem to care. Was silver before and gold now but i dont think it matters!!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:24 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Who do I complain to?
[email protected]
Include your Skywards number.

Meals confirmed online really ought to be reserved for the person who ordered it. The food is one of the major reasons people choose Emirates anyway. Would be understandable if it happened once, but definitely not 80% of the time.
Next time this happens, see if you can request the cabin crew for a feedback form onboard.

16 hours is a long time to go without food. Bringing your own isn't a solution - quite often it doesn't last so long, plus there might be customs issues on arrival in the US (remember that lovely form?) and perhaps more importantly, you're paying for food.

Maybe they could make a visual distinction between 'special meal' AVML trays and 'normal service' AVML trays. This way crew wouldn't mistakenly distribute those meals which have been specially ordered by a passenger with a dietary restriction (in this case, vegetarian) to someone who didn't bother choosing a meal online and just fancied eating veggies that fine day.

Edit: Assuming here that almost all travelers to/from the US have internet access.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
The food is one of the major reasons people choose Emirates anyway.
I don't think I've ever heard that before.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
The OP is correct.

I travel on this sector frequently in J, but I have heard the announcements every time, that pax who ordered special meals (Ind Veg) in the main cabin will be served along with everyone else, as a standard menu option.

I was not aware, however, that they always run out of meals though.

It is pathetic that EK FA's can't keep a small print out on their catering carts with names and seat #'s of all pax that have preordered the meal. They should get theirs guaranteed, regardless of where they sit.

On SQ flights to/from India, they always keep extra Meals on board, but make sure the pax that preordered get theirs. Usually, they bring them out in advance.

Feel free to contact EK Customer Service. The max he will get is a worthless apology. Nothing else will change, and EK will continue with their stupid policy on board. They don't address catering complaints in J, so I know they won't even bother with Y pax.

I know so many Indians living in N. California who, for years now have been traveling on EK Y for business/personal trips to India, have now switched to SQ at a 10-15% higher cost, due to catering/service issues on EK.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I know so many Indians living in N. California who, for years now have been traveling on EK Y for business/personal trips to India, have now switched to SQ at a 10-15% higher cost, due to catering/service issues on EK.
Really? Wow, what kind of math are they doing? 15% higher cost on a ticket that costs say USD 1000 is USD 150 - for a meal in Economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.