A330 Business Class - 7 Abreast

Old Feb 12, 12, 1:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,605
A330 Business Class - 7 Abreast

Does any other International Airline offer 7 across seating in Business Class on their Long Haul A330's. Thats the same as Virgin Premium Economy. Even AirAsiaX is only 6 and with Flat Bed Seats in their Long Haul Business Class.
UncleDude is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 2:07 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Posts: 972
Saudi Airlines (SV) is an international airline and has 7 seats across its A330.
GigoloArt is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 2:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
Posts: 260
SV has 6 accross on A330, 7 accross on 777 in business
yauponaustin is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 2:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Does any other International Airline offer 7 across seating in Business Class on their Long Haul A330's. Thats the same as Virgin Premium Economy. Even AirAsiaX is only 6 and with Flat Bed Seats in their Long Haul Business Class.
EK simply gets away with it. And why? Because they are dirt cheap with their business fares from e.g. Eruope to Asia. You get what you pay for. EK is a fantastic case study on how to monetize a brand despite sup-par product.
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 3:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
EK simply gets away with it. And why? Because they are dirt cheap with their business fares from e.g. Eruope to Asia. You get what you pay for. EK is a fantastic case study on how to monetize a brand despite sup-par product.
Disagree. I admit, 1st time on EK business I was a bit disappointed, simply because I was expecting too much. Looking back after a few flights, I think the have a good product, overall better than any US and most European carriers, from ride to airport, on board service and food (especially on 380), to Dubai lounge.
yauponaustin is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 4:18 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OSL
Posts: 4,430
EK's A330s are not long haul products. They're medium haul at most and on a few routes where they shouldn't be, but primarily because they're used to test the waters on new routes. They form an incredibly small portion of the airline's fleet. How many airlines offer Suites on 2 hr flights?
ung1 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 4:48 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,183
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
EK's A330s are not long haul products. They're medium haul at most and on a few routes where they shouldn't be, but primarily because they're used to test the waters on new routes. They form an incredibly small portion of the airline's fleet. How many airlines offer Suites on 2 hr flights?
When I saw the 1st post , my thoughts were that ime the 330s are generally not on long haul routes. I have found the A330 pretty decent for the 4 hour flights I have done on them ( albeit in 1st rather than business ) ; def better than most 4 hour flights I take
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 5:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OSL
Posts: 4,430
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
When I saw the 1st post , my thoughts were that ime the 330s are generally not on long haul routes. I have found the A330 pretty decent for the 4 hour flights I have done on them ( albeit in 1st rather than business ) ; def better than most 4 hour flights I take
They do operate on some of the longer routes such as MAN, MXP, and some of the far eastern destinations. But to put things into perspective, QR flies an A320 to Rome - 5.5 hrs - and that's definitely not fun. I do think EK should limit their usage of the 332 to Subcontinent and Middle East destinations if they're going to keep them around longer!
ung1 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 5:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: EK Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
They do operate on some of the longer routes such as MAN, MXP, and some of the far eastern destinations. But to put things into perspective, QR flies an A320 to Rome - 5.5 hrs - and that's definitely not fun. I do think EK should limit their usage of the 332 to Subcontinent and Middle East destinations if they're going to keep them around longer!
EK was supposed to dump them a while back. When the economy went to crap the deal fell through. They are trying to get rid of them but need some more metal before they host a fire sale...
pjm1300 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 9:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Well given Virgin Australia's A332s are ex-Emirates birds they also have the 7 abreast seating in business! That said I herd the next two aircraft they are receieving have a 6 abreast seating in business... as they are brand new aircraft from Airbus.

It only makes sense for Emirates to keep the 332s in the 7 abreast layout in business as they're really only used on shorter sectors, obviously with the exception of the odd African and European sector. I mean places like Doha, Muscat, Kuwait, Baghdad... probably all lower yielding routes don't need a product where passengers can sleep and thus require the flatbeds of the 777. Passengers simply won't be able to enjoy the service and sleep at the same time in two hours
CaptainEKAirbus is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 10:37 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,605
Everything with Emirates Seating seems to be Odd this and Odd that, the lack of consitancy in Business Class product has now been going on for almost 20 years.

Nor do I regard DXB-MAN which is further than a TATL MAN-JFK anything other than Long Haul. At $6000 RT I dont feel that is a Special Low Bargain fare. Its more than a Singapore Airlines RTW in Business Class.

In the end I have decided to fly via Doha with Qatar, just hope soon OmanAir will commence operations soon into Manchester.
UncleDude is offline  
Old Feb 12, 12, 11:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
The thing is that although you can find the 330 on 'long haul' routes, (MAN/MXP/HKG) you can easily avoid them because EK also sends other planes to these cities.

The only long haul city where you are stuck with the A330 IIRC is DUR which will change very soon.
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:49 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UAE
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Posts: 460
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
The thing is that although you can find the 330 on 'long haul' routes, (MAN/MXP/HKG) you can easily avoid them because EK also sends other planes to these cities.

The only long haul city where you are stuck with the A330 IIRC is DUR which will change very soon.
Sadly not true - I often do the NCL route and I despise the 330 in J (although it is fine in Y I find).
Vitriol01 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:55 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,605
Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
Sadly not true - I often do the NCL route and I despise the 330 in J (although it is fine in Y I find).
Its very fine in Y..7 abreast at The Rear...Same as Business in the front.
UncleDude is offline  
Old Feb 13, 12, 9:11 am
  #15  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 14,067
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Everything with Emirates Seating seems to be Odd this and Odd that, the lack of consitancy in Business Class product has now been going on for almost 20 years.

Nor do I regard DXB-MAN which is further than a TATL MAN-JFK anything other than Long Haul. At $6000 RT I dont feel that is a Special Low Bargain fare. Its more than a Singapore Airlines RTW in Business Class.

In the end I have decided to fly via Doha with Qatar, just hope soon OmanAir will commence operations soon into Manchester.
MAN has the A380 and 77W flights, so why not just go with one of those, and avoid the A330 if the seating bothers you that much?
DYKWIA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread