FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   A330 Business Class - 7 Abreast (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1313166-a330-business-class-7-abreast.html)

UncleDude Feb 12, 2012 12:33 am

A330 Business Class - 7 Abreast

Does any other International Airline offer 7 across seating in Business Class on their Long Haul A330's. Thats the same as Virgin Premium Economy. Even AirAsiaX is only 6 and with Flat Bed Seats in their Long Haul Business Class.

GigoloArt Feb 12, 2012 1:07 am

Saudi Airlines (SV) is an international airline and has 7 seats across its A330.

yauponaustin Feb 12, 2012 1:49 am

SV has 6 accross on A330, 7 accross on 777 in business

CalFlyer Feb 12, 2012 1:51 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 17998348)
Does any other International Airline offer 7 across seating in Business Class on their Long Haul A330's. Thats the same as Virgin Premium Economy. Even AirAsiaX is only 6 and with Flat Bed Seats in their Long Haul Business Class.

EK simply gets away with it. And why? Because they are dirt cheap with their business fares from e.g. Eruope to Asia. You get what you pay for. EK is a fantastic case study on how to monetize a brand despite sup-par product.

yauponaustin Feb 12, 2012 2:54 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer (Post 17998478)
EK simply gets away with it. And why? Because they are dirt cheap with their business fares from e.g. Eruope to Asia. You get what you pay for. EK is a fantastic case study on how to monetize a brand despite sup-par product.

Disagree. I admit, 1st time on EK business I was a bit disappointed, simply because I was expecting too much. Looking back after a few flights, I think the have a good product, overall better than any US and most European carriers, from ride to airport, on board service and food (especially on 380), to Dubai lounge.

ung1 Feb 12, 2012 3:18 am

EK's A330s are not long haul products. They're medium haul at most and on a few routes where they shouldn't be, but primarily because they're used to test the waters on new routes. They form an incredibly small portion of the airline's fleet. How many airlines offer Suites on 2 hr flights?

Dave Noble Feb 12, 2012 3:48 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17998704)
EK's A330s are not long haul products. They're medium haul at most and on a few routes where they shouldn't be, but primarily because they're used to test the waters on new routes. They form an incredibly small portion of the airline's fleet. How many airlines offer Suites on 2 hr flights?

When I saw the 1st post , my thoughts were that ime the 330s are generally not on long haul routes. I have found the A330 pretty decent for the 4 hour flights I have done on them ( albeit in 1st rather than business ) ; def better than most 4 hour flights I take

ung1 Feb 12, 2012 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17998755)
When I saw the 1st post , my thoughts were that ime the 330s are generally not on long haul routes. I have found the A330 pretty decent for the 4 hour flights I have done on them ( albeit in 1st rather than business ) ; def better than most 4 hour flights I take

They do operate on some of the longer routes such as MAN, MXP, and some of the far eastern destinations. But to put things into perspective, QR flies an A320 to Rome - 5.5 hrs - and that's definitely not fun. I do think EK should limit their usage of the 332 to Subcontinent and Middle East destinations if they're going to keep them around longer!

pjm1300 Feb 12, 2012 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17998807)
They do operate on some of the longer routes such as MAN, MXP, and some of the far eastern destinations. But to put things into perspective, QR flies an A320 to Rome - 5.5 hrs - and that's definitely not fun. I do think EK should limit their usage of the 332 to Subcontinent and Middle East destinations if they're going to keep them around longer!

EK was supposed to dump them a while back. When the economy went to crap the deal fell through. They are trying to get rid of them but need some more metal before they host a fire sale...

CaptainEKAirbus Feb 12, 2012 8:44 am

Well given Virgin Australia's A332s are ex-Emirates birds they also have the 7 abreast seating in business! ;) That said I herd the next two aircraft they are receieving have a 6 abreast seating in business... as they are brand new aircraft from Airbus.

It only makes sense for Emirates to keep the 332s in the 7 abreast layout in business as they're really only used on shorter sectors, obviously with the exception of the odd African and European sector. I mean places like Doha, Muscat, Kuwait, Baghdad... probably all lower yielding routes don't need a product where passengers can sleep and thus require the flatbeds of the 777. Passengers simply won't be able to enjoy the service and sleep at the same time in two hours :rolleyes:

UncleDude Feb 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Everything with Emirates Seating seems to be Odd this and Odd that, the lack of consitancy in Business Class product has now been going on for almost 20 years.

Nor do I regard DXB-MAN which is further than a TATL MAN-JFK anything other than Long Haul. At $6000 RT I dont feel that is a Special Low Bargain fare. Its more than a Singapore Airlines RTW in Business Class.

In the end I have decided to fly via Doha with Qatar, just hope soon OmanAir will commence operations soon into Manchester.

sadiqhassan Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm

The thing is that although you can find the 330 on 'long haul' routes, (MAN/MXP/HKG) you can easily avoid them because EK also sends other planes to these cities.

The only long haul city where you are stuck with the A330 IIRC is DUR which will change very soon.

Vitriol01 Feb 13, 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 18004068)
The thing is that although you can find the 330 on 'long haul' routes, (MAN/MXP/HKG) you can easily avoid them because EK also sends other planes to these cities.

The only long haul city where you are stuck with the A330 IIRC is DUR which will change very soon.

Sadly not true - I often do the NCL route and I despise the 330 in J (although it is fine in Y I find).

UncleDude Feb 13, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 (Post 18005093)
Sadly not true - I often do the NCL route and I despise the 330 in J (although it is fine in Y I find).

Its very fine in Y..7 abreast at The Rear...Same as Business in the front.

DYKWIA Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 18003834)
Everything with Emirates Seating seems to be Odd this and Odd that, the lack of consitancy in Business Class product has now been going on for almost 20 years.

Nor do I regard DXB-MAN which is further than a TATL MAN-JFK anything other than Long Haul. At $6000 RT I dont feel that is a Special Low Bargain fare. Its more than a Singapore Airlines RTW in Business Class.

In the end I have decided to fly via Doha with Qatar, just hope soon OmanAir will commence operations soon into Manchester.

MAN has the A380 and 77W flights, so why not just go with one of those, and avoid the A330 if the seating bothers you that much?