Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Ever wondered how your meal is prepared on EK

Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska

Here is a 6 min long documentary on Emirates flight catering service at Dubai airport. Enjoy!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, SAS, Krisflyer, Royal Orchid Plus
Interesting
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:45 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Holy
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:09 pm

wow.........
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
Dizzying!

My head started spinning . . .
On a serious note, I will be less grumpy if I dont get my butter or jam next time
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: Meow Mix
That is very cool and nice to see a plane that I have been actually on A6-EDD!

/AE
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
So, these are for the meals of aircraft departing DXB. Who handles all of the meals for the flights returning to DXB and how does EK control the quality of those meals? I doubt EK has such a setup at each destination, or do they load food for both the outbound and return flight?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Haha this was so cool! I'm never complain if the butter isn't on my tray again!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by whimike
So, these are for the meals of aircraft departing DXB. Who handles all of the meals for the flights returning to DXB and how does EK control the quality of those meals? I doubt EK has such a setup at each destination, or do they load food for both the outbound and return flight?
EK either has a meal service hub in that city or it contracts it with a local catering company. For example, in MNL, most of the airlines use MacroAsia's Catering Logistics to handle the food.

The EK chefs from Dubai simply hand them a recipe that (a) caters to the taste of the majority of individuals flying in and out of MNL, (b) incorporates inexpensive local ingredients and (c) is simple to make yet exudes the style of EK. MacroAsia simply preps the food up and serves the planes.

Airline logistics and catering services are some of the most profitable areas of the airline business because they are a necessity and the companies usually have a monopoly for that particular hub. If you hate airline food, don't blame the airline blame the caterers. I hope this answers your question!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:29 am

Perhaps a tour of EKFC could be included in the next Dubai Do ?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&Mores | Hilton HHonors
I would assume that there are not many cities where it is profitable for EK to operate its own
meal service hub
LHR and maybe some Indian destinations. Possibly Bangkok, Auckland and Sydney to?

Also, what about short flights like Doha?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by MucEKPer
I would assume that there are not many cities where it is profitable for EK to operate its own .
LHR and maybe some Indian destinations. Possibly Bangkok, Auckland and Sydney to?

Also, what about short flights like Doha?
It really depends but I would never carry two services worth of meals on a plane to and from DXB. That's extra weight both ways (cutlery and waste is heavy) = which means extra jet fuel = which means extra money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.