Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Does EK typically fill the F cabin with op-ups?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I am on a DXB -> NBO flight. When I checked this morning the seat map was showing just 3 seats filled in F and KVS was showing F4. Now on board and there are 11 F seats full of the total 12, and most people sitting down have business class tags on their bags. (I suppose it's possible everybody used miles to upgrade on the plane, but doubt it.)

J was showing reasonably empty earlier as well. Is it typical that EK upgrades to fill the F cabin?

Not a big deal, but would have been nice to have the seat next to me empty.

I fly back NBO->DXB in J, so I will be able to see better what the op-up rate looks like. If I do get an op-up I will likely get seated next to a revenue F pax that wanted the seat next to him empty.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by whimike
I am on a DXB -> NBO flight. When I checked this morning the seat map was showing just 3 seats filled in F and KVS was showing F4. Now on board and there are 11 F seats full of the total 12, and most people sitting down have business class tags on their bags. (I suppose it's possible everybody used miles to upgrade on the plane, but doubt it.)

J was showing reasonably empty earlier as well. Is it typical that EK upgrades to fill the F cabin?

Not a big deal, but would have been nice to have the seat next to me empty.

I fly back NBO->DXB in J, so I will be able to see better what the op-up rate looks like. If I do get an op-up I will likely get seated next to a revenue F pax that wanted the seat next to him empty.
It is possible Y was full which meant a lot of Y->J and J->F opups. I don't think EK gives opups unless necessary.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
It is possible Y was full which meant a lot of Y->J and J->F opups. I don't think EK gives opups unless necessary.
Didn't look to me like EK was doing any opups on SFO-DXB, Jan. 23rd. Only 4 of the 8 F suites were occupied.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
No, they don't, except when they're operating 3 class as 2 class. Since youre on the plane go see how full J and Y are or ask the crew. Probably a lot of op ups. I think EK doesn't over sell the F cabin anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:52 am
Original Poster

When I was deplaning J looked pretty full. Everybody sitting near me in F had J boarding passes.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:57 am

When I was deplaning J looked pretty full. Everybody sitting near me in F had J boarding passes.
Did they have the seat number scratched out and replaced with an F seat number? Did they serve Dom? Sounds like they were operating a J service in the F cabin!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
My wife and I flew LHR-DXB-MLE in J last October, and we got OpUp'd to F on the DXB-MLE leg.

We asked why and were told that it was because Y was oversold, so they moved some up to J, and some J up to F. The F cabin was full, and we were told that only two people were actually on F tickets, the rest had been bumped up

Can't complain, was very enjoyable, but would be a bit miffed if I'd been the couple that had paid for F
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

I didn't look close enough to see if the seat number was scratched out. I also slept the whole flight, so no idea about the Dom.

On my return flight there were 3 empty seats in J and no op-ups to F. Are the J seats on the A340 small?! I felt crammed into the seat.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
J cabins are always full of opups on my routes...(LATAM TO ASIA/MIDDLE EAST) Even with an empty Y they op up golds and seemingly others all the time Not so J to F It's the principal reason EK is no longer my organizations preferred carrier ( the others being the disgusting zoo of a lounge between 0530 and 0930 and the " deeply reclining" nonsense)it's not nice being a paying passenger in a middle seat with an oped up aisle pax next to you as has happened to me and my staff oftentimes
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I am getting ready to board my flight to DFW and the J cabin went from half full a few hours ago to completely packed. All seats show as occupied now, but KVS tool still shows 4 seats in J. There are also 4 empty in F. Y is totally full.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
When I checked this morning the seat map was showing just 3 seats filled in F
Don't forget that the seat does NOT show you necessarily the actual number of pax. It only shows the assigned seats. There can be also unassigned seats.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Just got op-upped from J to F on the DXB->DFW flight. 16.5 hours in the air are going to be a lot more comfortable now.

I must have gotten very lucky since the bin of checked-in J boarding passes I saw had an awful lot of GOLD printed on them.

This is my first ever op-up, then again it has been only my 2nd leg ever booked in a cabin that has the possibility of being opped-up.

Is there any method to the op-up process? When standing in line at the boarding gate, the guy is front of me was opped-up to F as well. Is it first come first served for op-up or is it determined beforehand?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Just got op-upped from J to F on the DXB->DFW flight. 16.5 hours in the air are going to be a lot more comfortable now.

I must have gotten very lucky since the bin of checked-in J boarding passes I saw had an awful lot of GOLD printed on them.

This is my first ever op-up, then again it has been only my 2nd leg ever booked in a cabin that has the possibility of being opped-up.

Is there any method to the op-up process? When standing in line at the boarding gate, the guy is front of me was opped-up to F as well. Is it first come first served for op-up or is it determined beforehand?
You have just provided empirical proof to all doubters that EK does not recognize Skywards status for j to f opups but does it randomly. For busting the myth, you deserve ypur upgrade!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Surely Golds get priority for opups from J to F over Silvers. But would the airline then have some ranking within gold to determine who goes up to F?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
Surely Golds get priority for opups from J to F over Silvers. But would the airline then have some ranking within gold to determine who goes up to F?
We've has plenty of discussions on this elsewhere and it's all quite random. Iirc the OP has $70k worth of flights over the next few months - that could help if they looked at future travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.