Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Does EK typically fill the F cabin with op-ups?

Does EK typically fill the F cabin with op-ups?

Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I guess no matter if they opup to F, it is still nice and intimate up there (I say this as someone who has been alone in F). I felt a wee bit self-conscious.

I have a question for B747-437B: since the ACC-DXB flights comes from ABJ, do you have any idea how many people board in ABJ and ACC? I was curious what the split is. I am guessing more than 50% join at ACC (and vice versa leave at ACC on DXB-ACC-ABJ).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
since the ACC-DXB flights comes from ABJ, do you have any idea how many people board in ABJ and ACC? I was curious what the split is. I am guessing more than 50% join at ACC (and vice versa leave at ACC on DXB-ACC-ABJ).
On average its about 75% Accra and 25% Abidjan. Never seen Abidjan with more than about 100 passengers. Local traffic carried ACC-ABJ vv is less than 40 pax per day.

The only reason Abidjan keeps running is that they have the UN contract to ship Bangladeshi peacekeepers between Cote D'Ivoire and Dhaka.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Just to report, am in DXB again on the way to DFW, two of us travelling in J. I was watching ExpertFlyer and KVS starting around 3 hours prior to departure.

The ExpertFlyer seat map showed Y and J completely full and 5 seats left in F. KVS was reporting P4, J2, and Y7.

About 2.5 hours prior to departure I noticed on ExpertFlyer 2 seats in F got taken, leaving 3 left. J was still showing full.

I decided to head down to the gate an hour before boarding time and waited there about 20 minutes for the gate to open. I went in and asked the gate agent about the possibility of an op-up and whether it would be best to come into the gate early or later. He tapped on his keyboard and said "You two are already upgraded to F.".

Sure enough, the two seats I saw get filled on ExpertFlyer 2.5 hours before departure were ours! And that was with KVS still showing availability in the J and Y cabins.

The gate agent told me the flight was full and that we were Gold, thus the reason for the upgrade. However, the J cabin has nearly been full for several days, I would assume there are many Golds in the J cabin.

I did ask about the possibility of getting the window seat that ExpertFlyer showed as available, but the gate agent stated F is full, so it sounds like the other 3 seats got filled too. And sure enough ExpertFlyer is now showing the entire plane as full.

So, 2 for 2 now on DXB -> DFW op-ups. 0 for 1 on DFW -> DXB. The difference being the DFW-DXB flight had many empty seats, both DXB->DFW flights have been packed.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
EK launched DFW not even two weeks ago...why on earth have you flown that route twice? Just curious.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
EK launched DFW not even two weeks ago...why on earth have you flown that route twice? Just curious.
For the 100k odd miles at $1600 a pop!

Whimike, I'm surprised EF/ KVS were so accurate an hour before the flight. Usually once check in opens, they're unable to give proper information.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
As a gold, I have received an op-up only once, and that was from LHR to DBX. Seems to me that the 380 often flies out full in 1st, at least on a Fri. I couldn't even get a seat in J yesterday on that route on a full paid J ticket, so I flew coach. Actually wondering if I can get some compensation for that, considering the price difference.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Mileage run, I am taking one more at the end of the month, then taking two to SEA in March (one in J to NBO and one in F to CAI).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1

Whimike, I'm surprised EF/ KVS were so accurate an hour before the flight. Usually once check in opens, they're unable to give proper information.
EF usually shows errors for me once the boarding gate opens. For this particular EK flight it worked all the way until I boarded.

However, I have always found the EF seat map to be pretty accurate, at least for both EK and AA. As soon as I change one of my seats it is immediately reflected on EF.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, EK Plat, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat

Where are you finding these fares???!!!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:10 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pjm1300
You are late to the party !
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjm1300

You can still find fares close to this. Try CAI -> DXB -> SEA, it comes to $1950 in J roundtrip. The "gotcha" is that these fares are ex-CAI.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:21 am

I wish you would have made me aware of CAI before I booked my other trips! Its actually 60% cheaper for me to fly to LAX from CAI in J than it is from KWI (AND THATS INCLUDING J TIX KWI-CAI) Arghhh I was planning it thru BHN which was a good $1600 and forgot about CAI completley! Which to me is a good $4500 in my pocket, and def makes the extra 6hrs of flying in the outbound leg worth it! (That would be KWI-CAI-DXB)

Here's a tip for someone planning from GCC looking for a cheaper J or F fare.

CAI only has to be your start place. For example to LAX you have to fly CAI-DXB-LAX. But on the return book a one month stop over in DXB, as soon as you land in DXB, cancel your DXB-CAI to avoid penalties and your entitled to a coupon which in my view Im happy to let go of and keep the OVERALL fare difference in my pocket.
Then book ANOTHER carrier DXB-GCC country and return home when you want too.
You'll avoid 6hrs of back and forth flight time of which EK is only 3hrs.

To me the miles arent worth it. But, after 15hrs in the air I'm willing to pass it and go to bed at home! Sorry for the thread creep but this is an idea of what I'm planning around now that whimike made me aware of the cheaper fare!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KU104
I wish you would have made me aware of CAI before I booked my other trips!
I have actually posted this fare a few times in the past, once in the Mileage Run Premium Fares thread and once before in one of the threads in the Emirates forum. But, unless you have gobs of time to go through the plethora of FT threads, it is hard to glean much of the info posted.

When I actually have to travel to Dubai and other places in the area, I also do the stopover in DXB with a later onward date (typically the length of my trip) to CAI. Then, I have my next trip booked from CAI -> SFO/SEA/DFW to pick up from the inbound to CAI.

For example, I will book CAI->DXB->SEA for March 1st, then SEA->DXB on March 15th, and DXB->CAI on March 25th. From March 15th - March 25th I travel around the region on EK and other airlines. Then I have a flight booked from March 25th CAI->DXB->SEA with a return sometime in the future using the same stopover in DXB for the next trip.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Folks can we get back on topic now...please
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, EK Plat, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
no...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.