FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Payment Security Check (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1309793-payment-security-check.html)

whimike Feb 2, 2012 11:51 am

Payment Security Check

What is with this "Payment Security Check" from Emirates? I tried to do OLCI on my NBO -> DFW flight and got this:

"You are now checked in.

For your protection, a payment security check is required upon departure. Please bring your credit card which you used to pay for this booking to the airport and proceed to the check-in counters. On completion of this check, the check-in agent will issue you with your boarding pass.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."

So, I can't get my e-boarding passes online, rather I need to prove to them I have the credit card that I booked the flight with and collect the boarding pass at the airport.

I got this same message/requirement when I tried to do OLCI for a CMB->DXB->NBO flight, on the CMB->DXB leg, but not a few days later on the DXB->NBO sector. My last two flights out of CMB didn't have any payment security check.

I am Skywards Gold, have flown over 20 segments now with Emirates, and have always used the same credit card. Why is it necessary for me to do a payment security check when they clearly now know who I am and know the credit card I am using is valid?

DYKWIA Feb 2, 2012 12:32 pm

You posted recently that you've booked a number of mileage runs. I'd guess that EK have picked up on this, and are just making sure that there is no fraud going on :D

whimike Feb 2, 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 17939009)
You posted recently that you've booked a number of mileage runs. I'd guess that EK have picked up on this, and are just making sure that there is no fraud going on :D

Correct, I have booked quite a few tickets for use over the next few months. One would think after the first few payment checks they would stop making me do them, after all it is the same person (me) and the same credit card being used each time.

father_ted Feb 2, 2012 1:14 pm

Some airlines exempt you from card checks based on activity in their FFP - TK is one of them.

There must be more effective ways to profile card fraud in relation to air tickets. For example, a ticket booked months in advance is unlikely to be fraudulent, as the cardholder would notice the charge on their statement and all would be refunded and cancelled.

Status in an FFP is a reasonable filter too... who here would take the chance of losing status or miles by flying on a stolen credit card?:D

whimike Feb 2, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by father_ted (Post 17939384)
Some airlines exempt you from card checks based on activity in their FFP - TK is one of them.

There must be more effective ways to profile card fraud in relation to air tickets. For example, a ticket booked months in advance is unlikely to be fraudulent, as the cardholder would notice the charge on their statement and all would be refunded and cancelled.

Status in an FFP is a reasonable filter too... who here would take the chance of losing status or miles by flying on a stolen credit card?:D

The name on the credit card is the same name as the flying passenger. Since security will ensure that the flying passenger is actually the person flying, what possible form a credit card fraud could be committed?