EK F or QF F (SIN-LHR)

Old Jan 25, 12, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Question EK F or QF F (SIN-LHR)

Looking at doing either CMB-DXB-LHR (EK F) or CMB-SIN-LHR (EK/QF F) or CMB-SIN-DXB-LHR (EK F) or CMB-MLE-DXB-LHR (EK F).

The CMB-DXB and CMB-SIN are generally on the 773 (not ER). Otherwise both DXB-LHR and SIN-LHR would be on the A380 (either EK or QF).

I will experience the EK F on the A380 in March (BKK-HKG-BKK).

What would you recommend I fly? EK A380 F or the longer QF A380 F.

Note that I'm not looking for the shortest solution. I'm looking for as much F experience as possible.
Old Jan 25, 12, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would say that Emirates's 1st class product is far better than Qantas's 1st class product and would choose Emirates on quality

personally, I would also choose to fly onto LGW rather than LHR ; the connection to Gatwick has suites and LGW is a nicer spot to fly into imo ... smaller and less likelihood of spending time circling the outskirts of London

I would do CMB-DXB-LGW

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 25, 12 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would say that Emirates's 1st class product is far better than Qantas's 1st class product and would choose Emirates on quality

personally, I would also choose to fly onto LGW rather than LHR ; the connection to Gatwick has suites and LGW is a nicer spot to fly into imo ... smaller and less likelihood of spending time circling the outskirts of London

I would do CMB-DXB-LGW
I prefer LGW as well. My only issue with the LGW flights is that of late there have been frequent substitutions with older aircraft.(1-2 times per week). The Op has higher chances of getting what he paid for if he flies to LHR on the 380.
Old Jan 26, 12, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In my opinion, QF F offers a better product. Much more room than the EK suite, less 'bling'. The seat is cloth rather than leather, which makes it more comfortable for me.
Old Jan 26, 12, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
In my opinion, QF F offers a better product. Much more room than the EK suite, less 'bling'. The seat is cloth rather than leather, which makes it more comfortable for me.
Hmmm. But the EK bling makes it more of an experience too. I'm torn here, but I may end up flying EK F in order to see DXB too.
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984 View Post
Hmmm. But the EK bling makes it more of an experience too.
I guess that it all comes down to personal taste. I prefer the QF European type styling.

One thing to add, the lounge at DXB is so much nicer than the almost non-existant QF/BA F lounge at SIN. But if it just came down to the seat, I'd go with QF.
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:49 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
EK F has showers (A380) = WIN
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:50 pm

I think that QF doesn't come close

The menu offerings are worse
The seating is worse - especially when comparing EK suites; I would even choose EK's older F over Qantas
The service is worse
The lounges are worse
QF provides no chauffeur drive service

I cannot find one area where QF would surpass EK on that route

Dave
Old Jan 26, 12, 7:00 pm

That's your opinion Dave.

You can't argue with the statement that the QF F suite on the A380 offers more personal space than the EK suite, because that's simple maths.

Food and service can be totally subjective and is based on personal experience. I find the QF style of service more to my liking (you don't have to ask for everything like you do on EK). My experience of both is limited though.

Lounges are worse with QF, definitely, except at their home bases.

And yes, there's no chauffeur service, which could be a factor.

Last edited by matthandy; Jan 26, 12 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 27, 12, 2:23 pm

You can't argue with the statement that the QF F suite on the A380 offers more personal space than the EK suite, because that's simple maths.
Depends; what are the areas and volumes of each. I wouldn't call Qantas's first class a suite, it is just a seat

According to Seatguru the seat on Qantas is 83x29 vs 86x23 but I havent seen the actual areas and volumes of the Qantas seating vs Emirates suite to get a figure that proves which has the more personal space in total. ( width and pitch on its own doesn't reveal which has the most personal space )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 27, 12 at 7:21 pm
Old Jan 27, 12, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys.
I think I will fly on EK, since at the moment no good redemptions of points for EK.

Search this Thread