EK go-around at GLA on 21 Jan

Old Jan 22, 12, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
EK go-around at GLA on 21 Jan

We were driving west on the M8 yesterday morning. Just as we were approaching GLA my daughter pointed out the EK flight on final approach from DXB. She still has a strong liking for EK after many trips as silver card holder in her younger days ( she is only 8 now)

We had a good view of the 777-300 on final approach, then the strong winds appear to have caught it and it was all over the place. It continued to descend out of sight behind the terminal building.

As we drove over the bridge adjacent to the airport the EK 777 suddenly came into view again as it was climbing back out - I assume for another attempt?
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:02 am

Flightradar shows an aborted landing as per you describe:

http://www.flightradar24.com/2012-01-21/11:52/UAE27
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Better not let EK029 know.
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and over to the EK forum.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:26 am

Programs: Skywards
My dad was on this flight yesterday, it landed after 2 attempts due to strong winds.

On landing, there were high fives and mini dances (ok maybe OTT, but claps all round )
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Better not let EK029 know.
I have no issue with go arounds.
Old Jan 23, 12, 4:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Video of the go-around....

http://www.pprune.org/6974602-post244.html

Seems strange that the landing gear wasn't stowed immediately after the go-around.

I like the Scottish guy cheering as the nose goes up. I doubt his compatriots on board found it quite as amusing
Old Jan 23, 12, 6:24 pm
JGX

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Skywards Gold, BA Gold, SPG Gold, HiltonHonors Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Seems strange that the landing gear wasn't stowed immediately after the go-around.
Flaps set were 30 and in windshear like that you wouldn't want to retract them too quickly. Retracting the gear, however, with flaps 30 selected would have prompted a GPWS call-out of "Too low gear" thus adding to pilot workload and distraction. You'd only retract the gear once you have positive rate (and stable) climb. Extended gear will add drag but it's marginal compared to the power of the GE90s.

Job's a good un!!
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by JGX View Post
Flaps set were 30 and in windshear like that you wouldn't want to retract them too quickly. Retracting the gear, however, with flaps 30 selected would have prompted a GPWS call-out of "Too low gear" thus adding to pilot workload and distraction. You'd only retract the gear once you have positive rate (and stable) climb. Extended gear will add drag but it's marginal compared to the power of the GE90s.

Job's a good un!!
Do they have a "Go Round" button on the flight deck - pilot pushes it and the aircraft does the rest?

Last edited by mrtdxb; Jan 23, 12 at 9:04 pm Reason: mandatory typo
Old Jan 24, 12, 1:21 am
JGX

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Skywards Gold, BA Gold, SPG Gold, HiltonHonors Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mrtdxb View Post
Do they have a "Go Round" button on the flight deck - pilot pushes it and the aircraft does the rest?
There's a TO/GA (Take Off/Go Around) button. They are on the forward side of the thrust levers. If you push them the flight directors will command go around pitch and the auto throttles advance to go around thrust.
Old Jan 24, 12, 1:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Job's a good un!!
Thanks... Makes sense.

I had a similar go-around at MAN on an AA flight a couple of years back. We were around 50 feet off the ground when the power was applied. The weather that day was fine (no wind), but the whole approach felt 'wrong' somehow (I fly into MAN regularly).

The second approach and landing was perfect.
Old Jan 24, 12, 2:19 am
JGX

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Thanks... Makes sense.

I had a similar go-around at MAN on an AA flight a couple of years back. We were around 50 feet off the ground when the power was applied. The weather that day was fine (no wind), but the whole approach felt 'wrong' somehow (I fly into MAN regularly).

The second approach and landing was perfect.
Possibly some slow traffic ahead. The thing about GAs is that they sound far more dramatic from the back than they actually are at the pointy end. That said, even as a pilot myself, I do make the world's worst passenger!!
Old Jan 24, 12, 4:44 am

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
Two GAs on EK!

I personally have experienced GAs on EK twice in my travel. Once was at DXB while the second was at LHR. DXB, I am sure was slow traffic ahead since everything seemed normal until the very last moment when the pilot decided we had to go around.

LHR was another story. Terrible weather with gusts. Infact even when we did land, I remember the pilot made a sharp bank / turn like 100 ft from the ground at the last minute. It was as if he suddenly realised our approach was not in line with the runway. Scary ! to say the least . . .
Old Jan 24, 12, 9:33 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
There's a TO/GA (Take Off/Go Around) button. They are on the forward side of the thrust levers. If you push them the flight directors will command go around pitch and the auto throttles advance to go around thrust.
Thanks, I thought so but did not know for sure ... I guess that they help to reduce the pilot's workload to a degree.
Old Jan 24, 12, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Having just watched the Youtube video, that made things look worse than it did when we were driving past and were running parallel to the 777-300 on final approach.

Search this Thread