EK A380 in F Guide

Old Jan 21, 12, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
EK A380 in F Guide

Since the whale jets in EK are only gonna get more so lets have a go at our take on them in the FCL to start with:

1) The A380: It today remains the most up to date & commercial airliner in its category avialable today. Sorry but the B787 still needs to prove itself in the market however on paper it is the best bet as of now in its capacity which still is way off from the A380. But then if I was into betting then I would rather spend it in MFM or LAS??? The A380 is going to become what the B747 was to the global aviation in times to come. So we will be living with it no matter where our loyalty is as long as we fly.

2) My take on it: Yes & no. I feel SQ got it right in the seating in F where as EK mucked it up big time going with 14 seats. EADS could & has not ever got the EK Suites right neither in the A340-500 & nor on the A380. They feel cramped. However the B777's have them done the way they should be. The J bar on the EK A380 is of no good to me altleast as I fly for business only atleast 93%. The only thing that attracts me to it is the shower as on a LH or ULH flight its a boon if you have to go out of the airport straight to work or for a night out. The service in F on the EK A380 is actually a disaster almost all the times. Never understood why SQ get it right 101%. But EK misses this big time on the whale jet & yes we are talking about F here & not J.

3) Seats to choose in F: Allow me to clear a myth. All suites are the same size on the EK A380 in F to start with however they may not seem so to our naked eye.

1A & 1K are fine if you are solo and do not plan to keep your suite open i.e lift off and door closed because otherwise you will be looking at the sorry butt of the Spa FA along with the visitors to the Spa/washroom for the whole of you flight plus along with the people who decide to have a drink in the F Bar upfront Otherwise avoid these seats.

2A & 2K or 3A & 3K are your best bet for solo. Go for them.

4A or 4K is about being not taken care off at all. You will be forgotten almost.

Plus you will get to know who is doing what with whom in the EK Crew circle as you are next to the galley. Yes you will still be hearing it even with your suite door shut & a bottle of Dom 2002 down. Avoid these seats like plaque unless you get them as an Op Up.

All the middle seats are good so no hassles here if you have a companion or even if not & don't fancy a view outside.

EK needs to go a long way to get the F Cabin right on the A380. The bling is there but if you can not present it in an exclusive & personal way then actually the only people who will using this bling are either the opup's or the people who use their miles the way I see it. Or ofcourse the 1st timers.

I try & stay away from the EK A380 if I really do not need the shower on my particular sector. Otherwise its either an EK 777 or simply another airline. Sorry EK but you need to work on this one.

Safe Flying

EGT
Old Jan 22, 12, 5:16 am

Programs: EK, BA, TK
Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER View Post
The service in F on the EK A380 is actually a disaster almost all the times. Never understood why SQ get it right 101%.
Interesting discussion. I've never done SQ F, only EK (and not nearly as often as EGT!). I find EK F Suite on the A380 comfortable and not too cramped (it is commercial air travel after all), but actually have had better F service in the old Skycruiser seats. Not that the service on A380 is bad - but I think a side effect of Suites is that the FAs can't just take a quick look around the cabin and see who might need something. Of course if you want something and ask for it, you will get it - but to me the best service is when the customer doesn't even have to ask because their needs have been anticipated in advance.

How do you find SQ does it differently, and what could EK learn to do better?

Last edited by father_ted; Jan 22, 12 at 5:17 am Reason: grammar...
Old Jan 22, 12, 12:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Aeroplan, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by father_ted View Post
Not that the service on A380 is bad - but I think a side effect of Suites is that the FAs can't just take a quick look around the cabin and see who might need something. Of course if you want something and ask for it, you will get it - but to me the best service is when the customer doesn't even have to ask because their needs have been anticipated in advance.
Having gotten to try all three kinds of F seating over three weeks, I did find the suites a tiny bit isolating, and that does appear to make the service seem less, since you cannot really see the cabin crew unless they are right there is front of you. I liked the skycruiser seating in that the cabin felt more open, and it was a nice touch where they 'assemble' your meal by your seat.

We'll see how I feel about suites after I do SFO-DXB-LHR this spring.
Old Jan 22, 12, 4:25 pm

Programs: BMI & BA
I was just about to book a o/w F ticket, DEL-DXB-LHR on EK to try the A380 but this thread has me thinking twice!
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:27 pm

I tried to imagine how the decision to put F on the top deck of the A380 came about. I'm pretty sure it was a hot debate among those who were planning the product.

IMHO the natural spot for the F class should have been where QF, SQ, AF and KE chose it to be.
With EK, F on the A380 feels it was heavily compromised:
- space versus exclusivity (14 suites downstairs meant that F would board with Y passengers, at least in DXB from the same entrance)
- 16 more Y seats (2-4-2 upstairs at the back -behind the bar which would have moved forward, instead of 3-4-3 downstairs in the front)
- Placement of showers + access to bar.

Another compromise was the fixation to the suite concept. It is nice but cramped. It sort of keeps with the standards of the 777. But it is shoe-horned in the A380 and the offsetting of the suites (while more private) means that if you're in the middle (where most couples prefer to be) you would have no outside view whatsoever (the live cams dont count here), and those next to the windows would feel they're in a train cabin.

I think if they had aligned the seats upstairs and forgone the 4th row, the cabin feel would be greatly improved. Sure that would mean 'only' 12 suites instead of the 14 that are almost always full (at least from my experience).

As most of you already know, it is hard to design and implement a perfect product or service. Not to mention the constraints and the imposing rule (or changing minds) of those who are at the top. If Abou said so, they have to do it somehow because he who dares or questions Abou's word will be looking for another job (and perhaps a visa ban)

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 22, 12 at 6:33 pm
Old Jan 23, 12, 11:12 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, CX D, EK G, IC RA, Hyatt D, Hilton G, Amex Plat
Never understood why SQ get it right 101%.
Agree with the OP. Service on A380 EK FCL is mediocre at best. EK made the FCL on A380 look like a mass product with 14 seats killing the exclusive & personal touch and I think the crew/paxs ratio is also incorrect. On all my (14) flights on A380 in F I have rarely seen the purser hang around the F Cabin.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Andrea
Old Feb 1, 12, 11:26 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Aeroplan, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER View Post

2) My take on it: Yes & no. I feel SQ got it right in the seating in F where as EK mucked it up big time going with 14 seats. EADS could & has not ever got the EK Suites right neither in the A340-500 & nor on the A380. They feel cramped. However the B777's have them done the way they should be. The J bar on the EK A380 is of no good to me altleast as I fly for business only atleast 93%. The only thing that attracts me to it is the shower as on a LH or ULH flight its a boon if you have to go out of the airport straight to work or for a night out. The service in F on the EK A380 is actually a disaster almost all the times. Never understood why SQ get it right 101%. But EK misses this big time on the whale jet & yes we are talking about F here & not J.
Could you explain what you mean by the suites on the 380 and 345? I have only been in a 777 suite, but I have an upcoming sector on a 345, but it is only DXB-BEY.

Search this Thread