Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many announcements onboard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Isn't that the point? Passengers need to be awakened if there is turbulence and reminded of the safety precautions to be taken.

This is an area that I constantly have reservations about Emirates. They are too willing to cut the corners on safety in favour of perceived customer service. Eventually, that will catch up to them and contribute towards a disaster.
Well if passengers had watched/listened to the safety video at the beginning of the flight they would have realised they were supposed to put on their seat belts before they went to sleep so they did not have to be waken. (not as if this would ever happen) I don’t think it’s a way of cutting corners on safety, since as far as I'm aware not many other airlines use an annoying fasten seatbelt announcement like EK used to!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Well if passengers had watched/listened to the safety video at the beginning of the flight they would have realised they were supposed to put on their seat belts before they went to sleep so they did not have to be waken. (not as if this would ever happen) I don’t think it’s a way of cutting corners on safety, since as far as I'm aware not many other airlines use an annoying fasten seatbelt announcement like EK used to!
IMHO, the more there are useless announcements, the less people are likely to pay attention to the important ones.

There is already this PA creep at the airports. Take the case of MEL where they very regularly broadcast (in addition to all other mickeymouse announcements) in an incredibly annoying female Aussie accent that passengers are supposed to clear the security and immigration before their flight takes off. Really, how stupid do they expect people to be?

This constant nannying is driving me totally nuts - here's another example: since the beginning of 2012, supermarkets in Melbourne have all the kitchenware sections equipped with "No proof, no purchase" labels as apparently it is now illegal to sell knives to those under 18. And let's not get started on all those massively patronising traffic safety campaigns (the latest one on TV is that one should never let a mate walk home drunk - we are already told that they are not supposed to drive, that's common sense, but also there is no public transportation or taxis. How the f*** is your mate supposed to get home if he's not even supposed to walk after a few beers - pushed in the same wheel barrow used for hauling in the beer?).

So, the result: I just shut down and stop paying any attention to any signs or PA. Therefore, if there happens to be an important one among all the nonsense, I will be guaranteed to miss that one.

Rant off, better go and get some work done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.