Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Starting 3/1, you can earn AS miles on EK flights.

Old Jan 19, 12, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../emirates.aspx

Mileage Earned:
Beginning March 1, 2012 Minimum 500 miles or; 50% of actual flight miles for Discount Economy (M, B, U, K, Q, L, T, V, X, H classes of service); 100% of actual flight miles for Full Fare Economy (Y, E, R, W classes of service) ; 125% of actual flight miles for Business Class (C, J, I classes of service) and 150% actual flight miles for First Class (F, A, P classes of service)

To qualify for mileage accrual, flights must must be marketed and operated by Emirates.

To ensure flight credit, the two letter airline code (EK) must precede the flight number (for example, EK XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

Elite qualifying flight miles: Yes

Destinations: More than 100 destinations in 66 countries.

For More Information or to enter your Mileage Plan number: www.emirates.com or call 1-800-777-3999

Redeeming Miles: Coming in late 2012
Old Jan 19, 12, 9:50 am

It's been a long time coming. Good to see its finally here.
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I would guess the reverse will be true soon enough.

Given that AS status confers elite benefits on AA and DL (and you can earn AS EQM on AA, AF, DL, EK, KL and LA, and you can earn RDM on BA, CX, KE and FI) this makes AS a pretty useful program without being in an alliance...
Old Jan 19, 12, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I would guess the reverse will be true soon enough.

Given that AS status confers elite benefits on AA and DL (and you can earn AS EQM on AA, AF, DL, EK, KL and LA, and you can earn RDM on BA, CX, KE and FI) this makes AS a pretty useful program without being in an alliance...
Yes, it is. Someone who lives in Beirut and flies AF and EK regularly would find the Alaska program very useful.

I live in Boston, and I wonder how few Alaska elites are in the area. I got upgraded both ways on my Delta trip last weekend, and free bags on AA the week before. Sure there are no alliance-wide benefits, but people might soon realize how good the AS program is.
Old Feb 7, 12, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Finally, with EK coming to Dallas it is tempting to take it and I would have hated losing all those miles. I just wished EK partnered with US.

ETA: just saw the accrual rates for Y,
Old Feb 8, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope reverse is true also for RDMs and EQMs too. However there is no mention of it on Skywards.

Last edited by hyho61; Feb 8, 12 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 8, 12, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Finally, with EK coming to Dallas it is tempting to take it and I would have hated losing all those miles. I just wished EK partnered with US.

ETA: just saw the accrual rates for Y,
AS is giving the same earn rates (50%) as EK is on EK's cheap Y fares. That's not terribly surprising.
Old Feb 9, 12, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Emirates partners with Alaska Airlines

Finally a US carrier is back in the mix.

Emirates Skywards® members can accrue miles across the Alaska Airlines network in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/d..._tcm272-777067
Old Feb 10, 12, 11:58 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
I can see mention of Skywards members being able to accrue miles from Alaska Airlines, but has anyone seen any mention of being able to redeem Skywards miles on Alaska?? Have got a chunk of miles that I can't see any imminent chance of redeeming on EK but would be able to use on AS...
Old Feb 12, 12, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My guess is that will happen towards the end of the year, similar to how the AS->EK burn chart isn't ready for AS yet...

My sincere hope is that not only will F be allowed, but AS miles can be burned ANYWHERE in the EK network at reasonable rates. I could see flying EK to Australia and SE Asia, but hey, if there was space to Europe...
Old Feb 13, 12, 2:28 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Fingers-crossed, just I hadn't seen mention of it on EK's pages yet. Here's hoping!
Old Feb 13, 12, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Now why is EK *cheap* with miles? I'm shocked they only award 50% EQM's for AS flights... as we get 100% in our own program.

But glad to see EK and AS partnering up- excited to redeem sometime
Old Feb 13, 12, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Now why is EK *cheap* with miles? I'm shocked they only award 50% EQM's for AS flights... as we get 100% in our own program.

But glad to see EK and AS partnering up- excited to redeem sometime
Because on the fare classes that EK only awards 50% AS miles, they only award 50% EK miles too.

Unlike USA-based carriers, almost everyone else in the world doesn't award full mileage on deep-discount fares (LH is something like 50% too on the cheapo TATL fares, and so on). And believe me, if USA carriers could get away with it, they would (I believe CO and DL tried this back in the day).
Old Feb 13, 12, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
And what is interesting about this partnership is the fact that you can earn EQM's on EK flights if credited to AS.

You will also earn status bonuses on EK flights. If you are AS Gold you will earn 100% off the flown miles even in the most deeply discounted Y.
Old Feb 14, 12, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
And what is interesting about this partnership is the fact that you can earn EQM's on EK flights if credited to AS.

You will also earn status bonuses on EK flights. If you are AS Gold you will earn 100% off the flown miles even in the most deeply discounted Y.
Ding ding ding ding ding.

50% EQM/100% RDM. Not horribly shabby, and given the partners AS has outside the USA, if you're flying loads and loads of deep discount fares and have already gotten to EK Gold, AS might be useful as a secondary status to throw your miles to. Oh, and they status match.

Search this Thread