Upgrades from Econ-Bus in summer

Old Jan 19, 12, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, AAdvantage, Krisflyer Elite Silver
Upgrades from Econ-Bus in summer

Hi all. I travel a lot with Emirates and have a skywards gold card.

I'm travelling DXB-JFK on July 31st on the A380 (economy at the moment) and have been told that they DON'T KNOW if there are upgrades available yet. I was just wondering if anyone knew why or what the chances are of there eventually being upgrades available?

Or if I should wait to try cash plus miles.

I've never flown on the A380 (usually get stuck with an old 777-300ER) and wanted to try bus class for a 13 hour flight....

Just to clarify I would try to upgrade using airmiles...
Old Jan 19, 12, 8:14 am

Hello,

If you wait around, someone will check expertflyer.com to see what availability for upgrade is. Or if you want to check yourself, you can sign up to the site, I think the price is quite reasonable.

I would hazard a guess and say Jul 31st might be tricky for an upgrade as it is in/near peak summer travel season. It's only a guess though. If you are willing to move your travel date around by a few days availability might be better.

And Business on the A380 is a very pleasant experience
Old Jan 19, 12, 8:44 am

call the gold desk in Dubai (specifically ask to speak with the gold desk) and ask them if the 2 upgrade seats allocated for gold passengers are available (you can not check this online or with the local emirates office) - chances are this far out no-one will have been allocated them. good luck

info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-upgrades.html
Old Jan 19, 12, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions...should have checked my skywards beforehand, though. Seems I've dropped to a silver this year.

Will call the gold desk anyway tomorrow and try to blag my way in (I've lived in the UAE for 15 years - am used to blagging away!) seeing how I've been gold for the past 3 years.

I'll wait for some lovely person to post about that seat website thing.

I'm going by a friend of mine who does the DXB-JFK flight in bus class once a month - he says it's nearly always half-full, even in the summer (probably beause of the frequency of the flights).

I guess my alternative is to buy enough airmiles to take me up to a Gold (I'm about 5000 under) and then go for the Gold Desk.

Last edited by Bohom; Jan 19, 12 at 9:01 am
Old Jan 19, 12, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

I guess my alternative is to buy enough airmiles to take me up to a Gold (I'm about 5000 under) and then go for the Gold Desk.
You need tier miles to take you to Gold so you will need to fly, you can't buy.
Old Jan 19, 12, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Ah ok then. Nevermind. Any other suggestions? My brother is flying bus on the same flight - don't want to be stuck in econ with him gloating!!!

What if I transferred the miles from someone else? Are they 'tier miles' if they have been recieved through flight?
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:03 am

I checked JFK a few days ago and flights to DXB seemed to be available while flights to JFK had no upgrades.

Question though. The 2 seats for Golds - does this work for a non Gold on the same itinerary, or only for Gold members?
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
I checked JFK a few days ago and flights to DXB seemed to be available while flights to JFK had no upgrades.

Question though. The 2 seats for Golds - does this work for a non Gold on the same itinerary, or only for Gold members?
The gold does not even have to be on the itinery as long as you are using the Gold account and miles to book ie I do this everytime for my mother travelling alone
Old Jan 19, 12, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Ah thanks! So I can use my mother's gold card even though she's not travelling?

And if not, what are the chances of a cash-plus-miles deal emerging in July?

Sorry to bombard you all with questions; this is a holiday I've saved up a lot for, my bro is going bus and WILL gloat, and as it's a 12 hour flight overnight I'd like to get some shutteye! Which I can tell from experience does not happen for a woman who is 6'0 in econ!

Last edited by Bohom; Jan 19, 12 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 19, 12, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bohom View Post
Ah thanks! So I can use my mother's gold card even though she's not travelling?
no, you can not use her card. however, she can use her miles to upgrade you (Members may redeem a flight reward for themselves,or for anyone else they choose.) If the booking was made through her gold account, then she can access the gold desk and the 2 upgrade seats allocated to gold members.
Old Jan 19, 12, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE - Called again and somehow in the past 24 hours the RETURN leg has opened up for upgrades, so am coming back Business class .

Odd though as they said the upgrades for July haven't been released yet (so got onto the Gold waiting list), though August obviously has?

Last edited by Bohom; Jan 19, 12 at 3:33 pm

Search this Thread