FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   A380 Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1303987-a380-business-class.html)

leepym3 Jan 18, 2012 1:12 pm

A380 Business Class

Flew EK98 from FCO to DXB ...

First the con's ...

EK's A380 business seats are NOT as roomy as one would think or hope. For average-build passengers, the seat is adequate at best (as opposed to SQ's roomy A380 business seats, which probably can accommodate two average-build, medium weight adults). If traveling alone, I strongly recommend the window-side solo seats. When seated in the "couple" seats in the middle, the space in between seats can get tight. Once the seats are reclined 180 degrees, it is impossible for anyone to "hop" over a sleeping passenger without contacting him or her...

The seat does not allow independent reclining of the section below your knees. In other words, the seat does not permit upright seating in an "L" position. The reclining is all pre-determined and automated: There is limited ability to customize your position.

The pro's ...

The IFE ("ICE") is, by far, the best I've ever encountered by way of A/V selection. Very easy to use, and extremely versatile.

The amenity kits are top notch, designer-brand.

The lavatories are certainly worth a look at ... the window and wooden finishes are very attractive.

Food and service, by and large, are on par with any top-tier airline's business class. The availability of stewardesses of many nationalities/languages is also impressive.

The full-scale bar in the rear of the upper deck is equally impressive. The fact that the bar was nearly packed only goes to show that EK's idea is a hit.

Verdict ...

When flying on EK business, try your best to hop on the A380. You recognize that flying is such a great privilege. (I also flew on EK's 777-300, whose business class is dated, as are its non-lie flat seats.) I have not tried, but have heard great things about the 773ER ... but until then ...

jackiedada Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by leepym3 (Post 17838903)
I have not tried, but have heard great things about the 773ER ... but until then ...

Note that on the 777ER, the seats are called "lie flats" but they aren't fully flat seats. They are at an angle and I have haven't been able to get that good a sleep as I do on the A380. Sometimes get a sore back too...Though they are a tad wider than the a380 and with much more legroom

sadiqhassan Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

F Once the seats are reclined 180 degrees, it is impossible for anyone to "hop" over a sleeping passenger without contacting him or her...

Why would you need to when all seats have aisle access?

DYKWIA Jan 19, 2012 2:44 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17840320)
Why would you need to when all seats have aisle access?

Just what I was going to ask :)

EK029 Jan 19, 2012 4:28 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 17842920)

DYKWIA, under your username it says 'Ambassador: Emirates Airline'. What does this mean exactly? Do you work with Emirates in some sort of official capacity, in terms of representing them on this board?

eightblack Jan 19, 2012 5:22 am

Originally Posted by EK029 (Post 17843238)
DYKWIA, under your username it says 'Ambassador: Emirates Airline'. What does this mean exactly? Do you work with Emirates in some sort of official capacity, in terms of representing them on this board?

The Ambassador program spans all of FT - and Ambassadors are typically appointed by their respective forum Moderators.

The role of the Ambassador is to principally assist with the "Newbies" thread and to generally provide help and advice across the forum in which they hold Ambassador status.

Within the EK forum, we have the following Ambassadors:

Khalid26
ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER
DYKWIA
MRTDXB
GigoloArt

All of the above have in depth knowledge about EK, and we have one I/O member (Invitation Only) in EGT.

I also look after the Ambassador Program across all of FT, so if you would like to know more, simply send me a PM anytime

Cheers

eightblack
Moderator-EK Forum and Ambassador Team Leader

leepym3 Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 17842920)

Just a point of illustration, my friend. Also, it does make a difference when you're trying to lean over from the aisle to grab a restless "lap infant" playing between seats.

groobs Jan 22, 2012 6:29 am

But as the others have said, all seats on the A380 in business class have aisle access, so there's no 'hopping' over a sleeping passenger.

fkatzRTW Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm

I flew the A380 from SYD-DXB in June of 09. There were two of us and we had 16 E/F. The airplane was AMAZING. Such a smooth take off, flight, and landing. Service was spectacular. The walk to the rest rooms and bar was fine. I slept about 2/3rds of the flight but my friend must have eaten her fair share of food and watched 3 or 4 movies. We also spent a good hour at the bar and met some great people. I would def fly on that plane another time. I have LH A380 FRA-NRT in about 2 months in F so it was another great point of comparison.

Gandhi Jan 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Flew EK98 from FCO to DXB ...

First the con's ...

EK's A380 business seats are NOT as roomy as one would think or hope. For average-build passengers, the seat is adequate at best (as opposed to SQ's roomy A380 business seats, which probably can accommodate two average-build, medium weight adults). ...

Something I have said earlier on this forum as well that I was disappointed by the width of the biz class seat on A380. Yes you can recline and sleep without bothering others and 'mini-suites' offer greater privacy but all this has come while compromising on the width of the seat IMHO

I have been on EK's 2-class config on A330 and 777 in J and while the 777 had very wide seats (this was a while ago though), allow me to say this, the width of A330 seat was comparable to A380 seat