Dual Multi city bookings

Old Jan 16, 12, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY Plat, EK Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dual Multi city bookings

Hi all,

OK before reading this you may need a strong cup of coffee!

Some of you may have read my DXB-KHI-DXB Trip thread I added last year.

Basically flying from somewhere external to DXB through DXB and onto destination can save a lot of money than going direct from DXB.

In this trip I took a trip to KHI and back that was not needed for my trip to LHR to work out cheaper. Which worked and I feel very successful.

I want to do something similar but instead of flying somewhere that I have no need to fly to - KHI - I looked into other options.

I am looking at the following itinerary.

LGW-DXB (In June)
DXB-HKG (In Aug)
HKG-BKK (In Aug)
BKK-DXB) (In Aug)
DXB-LGW (In Dec)

All flown in J (although I may tweak some to F) This comes out at 15K AED.

This would give me one leg of a trip home in June, a holiday in Aug and then another leg of a trip home for xmas. Add a standard J DXB-LGW in June and a LGW-DXB in Dec and I would have two trips to the UK, and the HKG/BKK trip for about 27K.

Not too bad - avg Prices would be 12K each way for the UK trip plus around another 11K for the HKG/BKK trip so a saving of around 8K.

But this got me thinking, instead of doing a standard DXB-LGW return what else could I add on to reduce this cost/give me more flights. So I looked at this itinerary:

CAI-DXB (in Mar)
DXB-LGW (In June - that would be used to connect to the LGW-DXB leg in the above itinerary)
LGW-DXB (In Dec - this would be the return leg after the DXB-LGW leg in the above itinerary)
DXB-CAI (In Dec/Jan - this would not be flown)

Again all of this would be in J and comes to around 9K AED.

Add in a one way flight to CAI in March in Y for 1K AED. I end up with the following.

A return to CAI (one leg in Y and return in J) - Hopefully upgrade the Y leg!
2 x returns to LGW in J
A DXB-HKG-BKK-DXB trip all in J

All for around 25K AED - and where the two returns to LGW direct would total around 24K for 1K AED I am getting a CAI and HKG/BKK trip.

Great value, all flights (apart from that one DXB-CAI) would be used and are all trips that I want to take this year.

My question is would this cause any issues when booked and added to emirates scheduler. For both LGW trips I would be arriving on one itinerary and returning on another is this a problem? I can't see why Emirates would have any issues but thought I would check with more knowledgeable frequent flyers to see if they see any issues?

Ung1 - hoping you read!

Thankyou for reading!

Last edited by dubaiblue; Jan 17, 12 at 12:21 am Reason: Fix link
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you add EU segments to avoid the British luxury tax on long haul flights exLON?

Maybe the last CAI segment will be useful later, especially if fare rules allow you to reschedule it later.
Old Jan 17, 12, 12:11 am

It sounds all good to me. Should not have any problems.
Lucky that EK has fares to EU ex-CAI, considering the amount of back tracking involved, but I guess there's a market for that.
Old Jan 17, 12, 1:29 am

EK may have an issue with you "nesting" itineraries. There has been quite a bit discussion on it previously although I can't remember the outcome.

Have a search or perhaps someone can post a link.
Old Jan 17, 12, 3:00 am

Shouldn't have any problems at all. Very diabolical plan indeed, and I'm jealous. Though I dare say there's ways to reduce the price even further if you have an endless supply of time and money!
Old Jan 17, 12, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@MSPeconomist - I need the London flights as I need to go there both for Summer and xmas - damn family!

@edy4eva - Yes I was surprised about CAI flights to Europe but seems good - flights to CAI direct are very expensive in J. 11K if you go direct, so this route is remarkably good value for money!

@ft101 - I searched for nesting on the forum and found a few threads but no real details of any issues. Just the potential of problems that seemed to be disregarded by other members. I will look into it more tho before I book - and any links would be appreciated!

@ung1 - Unfortunately no endless supply of money and time, but I am looking into other options. CAI is not a must have itinerary just one on the bucket list that I can tick off!

I can't book anything at the moment as flights late Dec are not open yet (I need my return back from LGW on the 30/31st Dec) any idea when they do open? I thought they would be now as we are in Jan?
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:08 am

Because they're booked in J with no penalties, you can always change to the later dates. And if you had already booked using the discounts/special fares, then wait until you fly the first sector of the itinerary so you your ticket won't be repriced.
Old Jan 17, 12, 7:33 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Platinum, Qatar Privilege Club Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
The CAI-DXB-EU flights are new. You didn't use to be able to book those. Last time I tried was about a year ago, and you needed two tickets. That's great news for me (based in CAI). Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
How does Emirates handle mileage accrual if you skip the last segment (e.g., DXB-CAI in your case)? Since the mileage is based on the full itinerary (e.g., CAI-LGW), would the mileage ever post if you failed to fly one sector? I guess your goal is to save money, so maybe you don't care about that part, but I am curious.

I have often looked for similar opportunities for nested itineraries. For example, KHI-DXB-SFO R/T is often less than half of DXB-SFO, so if I nested the itinerary and flew DXB-KHI-DXB-SFO, I wonder if the mileage would credit correctly, or would they only credit me DXB-SFO mileage?

Thanks for the post OP, there are indeed some good ideas out there.
Old Jan 17, 12, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
How does Emirates handle mileage accrual if you skip the last segment (e.g., DXB-CAI in your case)? Since the mileage is based on the full itinerary (e.g., CAI-LGW), would the mileage ever post if you failed to fly one sector? I guess your goal is to save money, so maybe you don't care about that part, but I am curious.

I have often looked for similar opportunities for nested itineraries. For example, KHI-DXB-SFO R/T is often less than half of DXB-SFO, so if I nested the itinerary and flew DXB-KHI-DXB-SFO, I wonder if the mileage would credit correctly, or would they only credit me DXB-SFO mileage?

from what i remember from the OP's earlier posts(DXB-KHI-DXB, see the link in the first post of the thread), I recollect that the OP got the miles for all sectors flown!!!. this seems like a brilliant loophole which hopefully wont be closed soon.
Old Jan 17, 12, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Because they're booked in J with no penalties, you can always change to the later dates. And if you had already booked using the discounts/special fares, then wait until you fly the first sector of the itinerary so you your ticket won't be repriced.
Ah didn't know that. I will take a look. Thanks

How does Emirates handle mileage accrual if you skip the last segment (e.g., DXB-CAI in your case)?
As ukdoctor mentions I received all flown segment miles on my last trip that I was not expecting.

If I get the miles for LGW-DXB (from the 2nd Itinerary) great but if they don't come through I am not that bothered.

As I aim to fly in J/F paid for my flights (through these lovely deals) the benefit of being gold/silver (lounge, checkin, luggage etc..) is non existent and the amount of miles I accrue through general credit card usage (11K a month) gives me enough miles for the odd upgrade for me and my family.
Old Jan 18, 12, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post

from what i remember from the OP's earlier posts(DXB-KHI-DXB, see the link in the first post of the thread), I recollect that the OP got the miles for all sectors flown!!!. this seems like a brilliant loophole which hopefully wont be closed soon.
Why do you say this is a loophole? You fly a sector, your get miles for it. They're not giving miles for sectors you haven't flown.
Old Jan 18, 12, 1:06 am

It's not a loophole. It's merely different markets. If I remember correctly ex-PK fares are SITI only. A while back they had a condition in them that a copy of the passenger's passport must be provided showing no residency visa in UAE (which would be weird if a Pakistani living in UAE wants to fly somewhere from PK) and it must not be a UAE passport.

The issue with SITI is a bit weird because some of these fares are bookable through many European, US and Australian websites (albeit appearing a bit more than they should be, something in the order of 5% extra). I never understood why/how is this possible given the fare rules contain the following (as an example):

1 - psgr p1 adt rules display
fare component 1 adt khisyd ek fowpk1
fcl: fowpk1 trf: 8 rule: pk01 bk: f
ptc: adt-adult ftc: fr -first class restricted
sr.sales restrict
for first class restricted fares

siti transactions permitted. soto/sito/soti transactions
not permitted.

IMHO there are markets in the Middle East that suffer from a pricing strategy that makes no sense whatsoever. DXB seems to be reasonable despite appearing as overpriced in some instances. I am talking about fares ex-BEY. Who in their right mind would fork almost 13k USD on a F fare to SYD? The fares ex-DXB are about 7K. And you can get across to DXB from BEY for as low as 300USD. It puzzles me how EK can get away pricing BEY-DXB return in F for about 4k USD! Even with this outrageous pricing, buying 2 seperate tickets works out to be cheaper than pricing straight ex-BEY (that's before realising that EK's premium fares ex-CAI, FCO, FRA and many others works out a great deal cheaper).

What puzzles me more is that EK publishes fares ex-CAI/DAM/AMM to EU, but does not from BEY (despite being within the same region). And those North America fares ex-BEY and AMM are double, or even more than those from DAM/CAI.

I have decided this year to forgo EK for EY. I will be flying the remaining sectors later this year then jump to EY that I find reasonable (still not from BEY though).
Old Jan 18, 12, 10:38 am

Programs: Skywards
I am a bit confused. Am I correct in saying that all these manoeuvres are to get cheaper fares from DXB? By first going out of DXB and then returning to DXB and onwards to the intended destination. Thus it does not work for, say, flights originating in UK?
Old Jan 18, 12, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
What other markets close to DXB have cheaper J/F fares than ex-DXB? I know KHI and CAI have been mentioned, a cursory search of EK F fares on KVS to LON show IKA and BOM also have some reasonable fares - any others?

Search this Thread