FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Any pictures of the new lounge at SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1302711-any-pictures-new-lounge-sfo.html)

minhaoxue Jan 15, 2012 9:42 am

Any pictures of the new lounge at SFO

The new EK lounge has been open for a couple of weeks now and I have been searching the net for any pictures. Can anyone provide a link?

JTXC Jan 15, 2012 10:23 am

I have not seen any either. I am passing through on 5th March, so I will make sure to take some.

I suspect, however, that it looks like the other non-DXB EK lounges in terms of decor.

I assume that it is large enough for an A380 load of F, J, and Gold Y, since I think rumours are that SFO will be upgraded to the 380 in 2013 or 2014. Can anyone confirm this?

ft101 Jan 15, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 17818008)
I suspect, however, that it looks like the other non-DXB EK lounges in terms of decor.

It would indeed be a surprise if it was any different from the standard decor and furniture.

ung1 Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

All EK lounges outside DXB are almost identical, so why the fascination with pictures? Looking at them only makes me want to vomit. Thankfully there's Veuve which is a decent cure.

minhaoxue Jan 16, 2012 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17822153)
All EK lounges outside DXB are almost identical, so why the fascination with pictures? Looking at them only makes me want to vomit. Thankfully there's Veuve which is a decent cure.

Because I have never been in one and would like the opinion of another person. You, already have expressed your opinion.

ung1 Jan 17, 2012 1:51 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue (Post 17823624)

Because I have never been in one and would like the opinion of another person. You, already have expressed your opinion.

If you want to see what any old EK lounge looks like, there's a thread with pictures from several of them somewhere.

minhaoxue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17828129)
If you want to see what any old EK lounge looks like, there's a thread with pictures from several of them somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have seen many pictires of EK lounges around the world. I was more interested in size, amenities and if the lounge feels crowded.

CX recently opened a new lounge at SFO and people are saying it is not big enough. Granted EK does not share their lounge with any other carriers.

EK029 Jan 17, 2012 9:40 am

Slightly off topic, but is the Biz Lounge in DXB T1 largely better than the one at T3?

The T3 lounge feels slightly sterile..like I am sitting in the public area sofas in Mall of the Emirates...

ukdoctor Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

but ung1, thats what i like about Ek lounges. you know what you are going to get(especially in a strange country).:D:D:D:D. Its the same everywhere i go, so I feel like i'm at home.

ung1 Jan 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 17831733)

but ung1, thats what i like about Ek lounges. you know what you are going to get(especially in a strange country).:D:D:D:D. Its the same everywhere i go, so I feel like i'm at home.

Wouldn't have a problem with that if the decor wasn't so outdated and ugly. I appreciate that they can't do a makeover for all lounges at once, but consistency is not an excuse for not doing so.

dubaiblue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by EK029 (Post 17829926)
Slightly off topic, but is the Biz Lounge in DXB T1 largely better than the one at T3?

The T3 lounge feels slightly sterile..like I am sitting in the public area sofas in Mall of the Emirates...

I prefer the lounge in T1 (the first one from walking from T3) due to the size and amount of passengers - and for me speed of getting to and from the smoking area which is a pain in T3.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a walk if your gate is at T3, so most of the time I endure T3 Business lounge as I don't get to the airport with much time to spare and a couple of glasses of champagne with a few smokes is all that I need.

If you have the time I would always suggest using T1 lounge over T3.

mrtdxb Jan 18, 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by dubaiblue (Post 17834973)
I prefer the lounge in T1 (the first one from walking from T3) due to the size and amount of passengers - and for me speed of getting to and from the smoking area which is a pain in T3.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a walk if your gate is at T3, so most of the time I endure T3 Business lounge as I don't get to the airport with much time to spare and a couple of glasses of champagne with a few smokes is all that I need.

If you have the time I would always suggest using T1 lounge over T3.

I feel exactly the same way about the F lounges in T1 vs T3 - except that the T3 F lounge is never crowded like the Biz lounge is.

JTXC Jan 18, 2012 8:47 am

I am doing a couple of sectors in F this spring. I like the T3 F lounge, which is spacious, pleasant, and, and everyone notes, never crowded.

How big is the T1 F lounge by comparison? Where exactly is it (close to which gate)? I have two long-ish layovers of c. 5 hours, so I thought I would try out both lounges this time.

ft101 Jan 18, 2012 10:23 am

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 17836778)
How big is the T1 F lounge by comparison? Where exactly is it (close to which gate)?

I don't know the size, but it's located almost directly opposite the T1 Business Lounge at Gate 122.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/flash/T1_maps/l1/map.html

mrtdxb Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 17836778)
How big is the T1 F lounge by comparison? Where exactly is it (close to which gate)? I have two long-ish layovers of c. 5 hours, so I thought I would try out both lounges this time.

It is a lot smaller than the T3 lounge but that does not mean it is small inofitself. It is on two levels with the upper level being a smoking section with its own food and beverage area. The food and beverage selection is larger downstairs I believe (I do not have personal experience of this because I always go upstairs). It has never once been crowded when I have visited and in fact has only ever had a handful of people in it each time. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the T3 lounge such as Spa, Shoe Shine, Kids Area(?) and formal a la carte dining area (I have neer looked for this downstairs though) but these are not things I have ever used in T3 anyway so I do not miss them. It all comes down to personal taste and preference of course but for me, I prefer it.

Sorry for aiding and abetting the gradual drift off topic ... self flagellation administered!