Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Etihad Gold Elite. Worth shifting from Emirates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Starwoods Platinum, HH Gold

Folks: Any news/updates on feedback from the users on the new Etihad Platinum level. One of my colleagues who moved most of his travel from Emirates to Etihad last year, achieved Gold Elite mid-year and since then, would not stop talking about it. In addition to access to an Awesome first class lounge, he has been op up'ed 4 of 5 times to first. Any one here with similar stories??
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ski023
Folks: Any news/updates on feedback from the users on the new Etihad Platinum level. One of my colleagues who moved most of his travel from Emirates to Etihad last year, achieved Gold Elite mid-year and since then, would not stop talking about it. In addition to access to an Awesome first class lounge, he has been op up'ed 4 of 5 times to first. Any one here with similar stories??
Pretty consistent with the reports from all other Elites I know.

It seems the travel experience for EY Elites comes as close to Michael O'Leary's vision of long-haul travel (as revealed in a press conference in Dusseldorf three years ago) as it gets ... ;-)

Last edited by CalFlyer; Jan 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
If the airline meets your schedule and price requirements, then by all means, it might be worth moving over.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ung1
If the airline meets your schedule and price requirements, then by all means, it might be worth moving over.
For me, schedule is key. At present, neither Qatar or Etihad fly where I need them to (ie SIN-MEL on a daily basis). I continue to hear great things about both - and indeed, their hard product looks a lot more elegant (in J an F), but unless they meet my needs schedule wise, I will not move. If I need to head to Europe from SIN, then that's another matter and this year, will certainly give them both a shot.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by eightblack
For me, schedule is key. At present, neither Qatar or Etihad fly where I need them to (ie SIN-MEL on a daily basis). I continue to hear great things about both - and indeed, their hard product looks a lot more elegant (in J an F), but unless they meet my needs schedule wise, I will not move. If I need to head to Europe from SIN, then that's another matter and this year, will certainly give them both a shot.
+1.

I would certainly like to give QR a try if they go the US West Coast. Frankly, I'm surprised no other Middle Eastern carrier is going to SFO/LAX. The flights to SFO are regularly quite full in J and even F.Y is almost always overbooked.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
For me, schedule is key. ..... .
+2

I tend to travel based on this too - Only problem is EK is the only one to offer proper J/F Trans-Tasman .

Tried NZ & Qantas in J - Didn't like it that much.

Would have loved to have the option of Qantas A380 in F though !

Cheers,
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Can anyone please post the actual benefits from the Elite tier of EY. What is the incremental difference to EY Gold?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF

Click for Etihad Gold Elite Benefits

Cheers,
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:51 am

For me, schedule is key.
Indeed.

Neither QR/EY are even remotely in the same league as Emirates vis-a-vis routes served with convenient schedules. Emirates' scheduling is a work of art for the hub connectivity it achieves.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Emirates' scheduling is a work of art for the hub connectivity it achieves.
B747, Are you sure you are feeling ok? Did you have an accident? Did a piano fall on your head??? You actually gave EK a compliment! Well done you...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:38 pm

B747, Are you sure you are feeling ok? Did you have an accident? Did a piano fall on your head??? You actually gave EK a compliment! Well done you...
I give EK the highest compliment every day - viz. >$120k of directed spending for myself and my team in 2011 alone. I wouldn't be here if I didn't appreciate some of what they did.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
QR J seats are much better as is their Doha lounge. You can eat when you like in J but IMO the CC and hub lounge staff are nowhere as good as EK and the transfer experience is often chaotic and disorganized. Elite benefits as poor as EK. And no booze in lounge during Ramadan.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Thinking of switching to QR?

Before anyone jumps ship over to QR, I think they should fully be aware of what treacherous waters they may find themselves in.

I've been flying QR quite a bit lately. And service on board is honestly pretty good. I'm usually rather impressed with it. The 77s also have good seats and screens.
Add that with the premium terminal, and that golds now use the recently renovated oryx lounge , and silvers using the old gold lounge and also silver lounge.
The experience can be a delight so long as you don't encounter any issues that require ground crew involved.

HOWEVER, this trip I have in a few days, I've been struggling to upgrade my ticket and it's just basically making me more irate with attempt.
Issues like trying to reach a call centre operator - the most basic of customer service - has been impossible for the past 2 weeks.
Also no Gold Desk hotline. and countless more frustrating issues

Just read these threads:

lets-start-wish-list-what-can-do-qr-better.html

upgrade-redemptions.html
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by ski023
In addition to access to an Awesome first class lounge, he has been op up'ed 4 of 5 times to first.

But those are operational upgrades so it is still route specific?
And if so, it basically means gets to be first on the list?

4/5 times is a really high percentage. Perhaps they did it without a full J cabin?

Its interesting because when it first launched, the sentiment seemed to reflect disappointment with the stated perks being rather lacking.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Starwoods Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
But those are operational upgrades so it is still route specific?
And if so, it basically means gets to be first on the list?

4/5 times is a really high percentage. Perhaps they did it without a full J cabin?

Its interesting because when it first launched, the sentiment seemed to reflect disappointment with the stated perks being rather lacking.
Looks like these Op-ups are without a full J cabin. Also, I get a feeling that they do not have enough loads to fill first. I have traveled EY once from Hyd-ORD-HYD and the trip was enough for me to hit Silver. On my return leg, I was offered an upgrade to first for about USD 450. They recently launched a promo, offering upgrades from J to F for about USD 550 between Abu-Dhabi and any US destination. In my 6 years of flying with Emirates, I have never seen such promotions advertised openly. Or maybe I have not been paying attention.

The points that EB, Ung make about schedules are valid. Although all of the Gold Elite benefits seem nice, I am not sure about EY's Y class product. I usually travel J while on business but most of the award tickets that I use to travel with my family are in Y. And I absolutely love EK's Y product, especially in the A-380s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.