Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Second daily flight to Glasgow announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second daily flight to Glasgow announced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
FWIW, have done a search for Business Class flights, Glasgow-Melbourne return at end of year, returning February. Emirates is the cheapest, compared to all other alternatives. Saver Fare for Skywards member it must be said vs lowest fare quoted:

Emirates Saver Ł3,540
Qantas Ł3,800
BA Ł4,390
Emirates Flex Ł4,390
KLM Ł4,785

As far as I am aware, from an Australian perspective, Turkish can only take you as far as Djakarta from Edinburgh later in the year. (EDI-MEL and EDI-SYD throws up no results on Turkish website). However, there have been Turkish press releases to the effect that they will fly to Oz in the future. It will be interesting to see what happens to Scotland-Australia fares IF Etihad and Turkish do the route.

One big advantage of Emirates vs all other carriers is that they fly direct from Glasgow out of the UK. I personally don't fancy the domestic flight down to Heathrow, change terminals option of Qantas/BA/Singapore etc. Other airlines have circuitous routes such as Glasgow, Cardiff, Paris, Amsterdam etc.
If I may ask, how did you manage to find a Saver Fare? I have been searching flights to Australia and New Zealand departing Glasgow in Feb returning late March and only get Flex fares even when logged in as Skywards member. Tried Glasgow to Melbourne around dates you used and still only got Flex results. Like you the trek to and from London no longer appeals.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:33 pm

'No worries'.

I went to emirates.com, selected Europe then UK English and when I started to search for flights it asked if I wanted to log on as a Skywards member.

I did so then entered dates (27/11 out, 19/2 in), picked business class and asked to sort them by price (clicked radio button for lowest available fare). It came up with 25 options on the saver fare - cheapest Ł7,092.20 for 2; dearest Ł7,132.20 for 2.

We want to go out on EK 28, the earlier flight, rather than the new EK 26 and we want to come back from Dubai on EK 27, the earlier flight, rather than the new EK 25 so that ruled out 20 of the 25 options straight away. However, we've got 5 options.

Interestingly, it did not offer EK 406 (9 hour wait for connection in Dubai) in any of the 25 saver fares whereas the last 3 times we've flown out we've done EK 28/EK 406 on a saver fare. It is available on the flex fare of course.

All 5 options include outbound EK 28 and EK 408 (via Kuala Lumpur).

Inbound is either EK 409 via KL or EK 407 non-stop or EK 405/EK 355 via Singapore plus EK 27. 409 is a 3.35 am take off so unsuitable and 405 is a change of planes so we probably will opt for non-stop.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
'No worries'.

I went to emirates.com, selected Europe then UK English and when I started to search for flights it asked if I wanted to log on as a Skywards member.

I did so then entered dates (27/11 out, 19/2 in), picked business class and asked to sort them by price (clicked radio button for lowest available fare). It came up with 25 options on the saver fare - cheapest Ł7,092.20 for 2; dearest Ł7,132.20 for 2.

We want to go out on EK 28, the earlier flight, rather than the new EK 26 and we want to come back from Dubai on EK 27, the earlier flight, rather than the new EK 25 so that ruled out 20 of the 25 options straight away. However, we've got 5 options.

Interestingly, it did not offer EK 406 (9 hour wait for connection in Dubai) in any of the 25 saver fares whereas the last 3 times we've flown out we've done EK 28/EK 406 on a saver fare. It is available on the flex fare of course.

All 5 options include outbound EK 28 and EK 408 (via Kuala Lumpur).

Inbound is either EK 409 via KL or EK 407 non-stop or EK 405/EK 355 via Singapore plus EK 27. 409 is a 3.35 am take off so unsuitable and 405 is a change of planes so we probably will opt for non-stop.
Thank you so much for such a full and speedy response. Have spend a bit of time putting in different departure dates and it appears that everything departing GLA for AKL (and Oz) after 9 Dec is showing as Flex only. Before that date exactly as you described Saver or Flex/Saver Combo fares show up. Hopefully that means that Saver fares may be added to the inventory closer to my departure date. I'll have a search on the forum to see if I can find anything about that. From my travel dates it looks as though we will pass somewhere over the Indian Ocean on the 20th Feb!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by albaonthego
Thank you so much for such a full and speedy response. Have spend a bit of time putting in different departure dates and it appears that everything departing GLA for AKL (and Oz) after 9 Dec is showing as Flex only. Before that date exactly as you described Saver or Flex/Saver Combo fares show up. Hopefully that means that Saver fares may be added to the inventory closer to my departure date. I'll have a search on the forum to see if I can find anything about that. From my travel dates it looks as though we will pass somewhere over the Indian Ocean on the 20th Feb!
ISTR that 10th December is the date the offers usually end, and the Christmas prices are loaded!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by albaonthego
I'll wave on the 20th if I see another Emirates plane out the window!

Yes, I suspect it might be that once you get into December by a sufficient few days the laws of demand and supply kick in and with Christmas approaching they won't offer cheap fares. It might be an idea from your perspective (but you've probably thought of it already), if you have flexibility on your outbound date, to work back a day at a time on the search to find the latest date (in late Nov or early Dec) that the Saver fares are available.

Ah, edited to add, I see you've done that and Dec 9th is the magic date - apologies.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:10 pm
TCA

Can anyone recommend specific economy seats for a 6' tall bloke tempted to travel on this new evening flight from GLA to DXB on the Airbus A340-300? I've never flown 2-4-2 configuration before and am concerned about the legroom and 31" pitch. Flying straight on to BKK and the alternative of the afternoon flight 777-300ER and to BKK on the Airbus A380-800 is weighing in at an extra Ł170 for my preferred dates, so quite a difference.

I'm sure when I flew AMS to BKK with KLM in April it was only 31" (3-3-3 seating) and it didn't seem that bad........

Any tips?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by TCA
Can anyone recommend specific economy seats for a 6' tall bloke tempted to travel on this new evening flight from GLA to DXB on the Airbus A340-300? I've never flown 2-4-2 configuration before and am concerned about the legroom and 31" pitch. Flying straight on to BKK and the alternative of the afternoon flight 777-300ER and to BKK on the Airbus A380-800 is weighing in at an extra Ł170 for my preferred dates, so quite a difference.

I'm sure when I flew AMS to BKK with KLM in April it was only 31" (3-3-3 seating) and it didn't seem that bad........

Any tips?
Try Airline Quality for seat maps and 'best' seats:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Experience/seat_plans.htm

Emirates is a 4 star airline on this site.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:17 am
TCA

Thanks OzTennis but that only links to Emirates own website and I've looked at the seat plans there and also on SeatGuru and SeatExpert. All these show are the 2-4-2 formation with no great info as to best seats. They could be all the same, barring the few at the rear, but hoped to hear from someone who had personal experience.

Someone in another thread for the same plane but different airline recommended to the front of the cabin, so looking for more idea. I'd take an aisle seat regardless though.

Edited to say that I just spotted the 1600 odd reviews. Will start ploughing through them. Cheers.

Last edited by TCA; Jun 19, 2012 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold One World Silver Hilton Hertz
Originally Posted by ft101
I flew into Glasgow last week on EK27. The chauffeur told me on the way home they'd been told the first few months of the evening service are almost full every day in the premium cabins, so hopefully a good start to the new flight.
i was on EK 28 10 days ago and the only passenger in first class. Came back today on EK 27 and 5 out of 8 seats were taken. Both flights were operated by a new 777 300 with the ipad style wire free controller. When I was booking these flights were was plenty of availability on the second daily service and it is operated by a much older and inferior aircraft so it would be odd if that service is more heavily booked than EK 27 / 28. My chauffeur said the second flights were not so busy in the premium classes.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Does anybody know about use of the GLA lounge for F & J customers for the evening flight? I always believed the lounge closed early evening. Is it open longer now for premium passengers on the 2nd EK flight?
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has an answer for this yet.

The airport website still has the lounge closing at 19:30 (and 18:00 during the winter). With the second flight not due to depart until 21:30 I hope it's been changed, but can anyone confirm this?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Based on my experience with MAN, they would close once the afternoon (14:00ish) flight left, and then re-open 3 hours before the evening (21:00ish) flight left. I can't see it being any different at GLA
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by groobs
Based on my experience with MAN, they would close once the afternoon (14:00ish) flight left, and then re-open 3 hours before the evening (21:00ish) flight left. I can't see it being any different at GLA
MAN is an EK lounge whereas GLA is a contract lounge so not solely for EK use. It opens at 05:00 and doesn't close when the EK lunchtime flight leaves as there are many other users.

I'd like to think it's open later now as I'm travelling on the evening flight next month, but would like to hear it for sure.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
MAN is an EK lounge whereas GLA is a contract lounge so not solely for EK use. It opens at 05:00 and doesn't close when the EK lunchtime flight leaves as there are many other users.

I'd like to think it's open later now as I'm travelling on the evening flight next month, but would like to hear it for sure.
Exactly the same situation here except I leave on Monday. I hope the lounge is open later. Will be very miffed if I have to leave the lounge +1 hour before departure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Exactly the same situation here except I leave on Monday. I hope the lounge is open later. Will be very miffed if I have to leave the lounge +1 hour before departure.
Yes, it was your original query that I remembered and bumped when I found it hadn't had a reply. I've also asked over on the UK board but nothing concrete back from there yet either.

Please let us know how you get on next week. Have a good trip.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:49 am

I've just had one experience of using the Glasgow lounge before the earlier flight. First impression was that it was poor; after using EK lounges in Dubai, Singapore and Melbourne, it (Glasgow) went down in my estimation. It's marginally better than waiting near the gate lounge and buying any eats and drinks from W H Smith's! I'd be interested to know if it has improved over the last 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.