Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Puzzling availability/pricing errata - DXB-DEL 17 Jan, flight EK 516

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to price DXB-DEL, 17 January, in cheapest available coach. ExpertFlyer shows an MSOWAE1 fare that would be fine, US$234+tax. ExpertFlyer shows available inventory: EK516 F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 Y8 E8 R8 W9 M8 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X8 .

When I run a search at Emirates.com, I'm quoted the expected AED940 for the preceding flight EK8512 and also for some flights later in the day, but EK516 is quoted at AED2160 in business class (with a note indicating that no coach seats are available). Quotes at other online travel agencies (Orbitz, Expedia Corporate/Egencia, etc.) are similar.

Emirates.com confirms that coach inventory in low buckets is indeed available on EK516 on 17 Jan. For example, I searched LHR-DEL, departing 16 Dec, and was quoted GBP441.02 for EK8 (16 Jan) connecting to EK516 (17 Jan); I don't see the booking class or fare basis on emirates.com, but I believe that's the EK B fare LHR-DEL.

Any idea what may be going wrong here? I do believe I comply with all rules of the MSOWAE1 fare, and inventory is available, so I would have thought this would be straightforward. While AED2160 isn't out of the question, I don't need business class for this flight on this occasion. Many thanks for suggestions!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Availability varies by point of sale. For example:

Code:
US

EK 516 0 DXB
01/17/12 10:10 AM DEL
01/17/12 2:45 PM 332
Daily 
69% / 18m F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 Y8 E8 R8 W9 M8 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X8

UK

EK 516 0 DXB
01/17/12 10:10 AM DEL
01/17/12 2:45 PM 332
Daily 
69% / 18m F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 Y8 E8 R9 W7 MC BC UC KC HC QC LC TC VC XC
From DXB point of sale, the availability might be even less.

Cheers,
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Brilliant! That must be the problem.

I'm an American citizen, paying with a US credit card. Is there any way for me to get US availability?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bedelman
Brilliant! That must be the problem.

I'm an American citizen, paying with a US credit card. Is there any way for me to get US availability?
Have you tried a us site like orbitz or expedia.com? Those should show US fares.

Edit: I tried www.expedia.com and it showed the $255 fare but when I clicked it it changed to the business class fare. So perhaps the systems are showing incorrect availability? Maybe an EK expert can chime in?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:16 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Your nationality and CC won't affect the POS. Are you trying to purchase an ex-DXB or an ex-USA ticket?

There isn't much you can do prom a POS perspective, the EK website will automatically determine that based on origin city. Sometimes you can get a different POS by using travel site such as expedia etc
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to purchase a one-way ticket ex-DXB. I understand that most web sites determine POS based on origin city. I'm hoping to find a web site that will instead determine POS in some other way, like where I actually am or where I actually live. (Isn't that what POS is supposed to signify?!) If anyone has suggestions for a web site, or even a retail travel agent, that has this capability, I'd be very appreciative.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Following the suggestion of khalid26, I tried several other online ravel agents. Travelocity presented US inventory and allowed me to purchase this ticket at the price I was looking for. Perhaps this will be helpful to others in a similar situation.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bedelman
I'm hoping to find a web site that will instead determine POS in some other way, like where I actually am or where I actually live. Isn't that what POS is supposed to signify?!
Not really. POS is relevant because it determines (among other things) the base currency of sale and the BSP in which the ticket is plated (or ARC in case of US POS).

Often, these are transparent to the consumer but these are critical from an airline perspective as local policies/regulations determine commissions, etc.. payable.

In case of interline itineraries, POS is even more critical as various airline combinations have different plating logic in different BSPs. This is subtly highlighted in the Mileage Run forum via the "trick it" thread.

Just a $0.02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.