I am going gla to bkk via dub
Interesting routing...
Old Apr 1, 17, 4:34 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Interesting routing...
Flyertalker. Maximising points and miles

Only took two replies to be noticed . We assume that the OP means Dubai (DXB)

S
Old Apr 1, 17, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Saltire74 View Post
Flyertalker. Maximising points and miles

Only took two replies to be noticed . We assume that the OP means Dubai (DXB)

S
Correct, DXB. Thanks!

Will the 777-400ER be the new or old style, do you know how i can find this out?
Old Apr 1, 17, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
Correct, DXB. Thanks!

Will the 777-400ER be the new or old style, do you know how i can find this out?
Unfortunately you won't know till the day what 777-300ER you will be on (there isn't a -400). What you can do is check on Flightradar24 and see what the incoming aircraft is. Unlike some other airlines who publish, on occasions, a day or so before what airframe is scheduled, EK don't appear to do this.

With GLA being my home base, I've had A6-EB*, A6-EG* and A6-EN* airframes. None of them particularly new but looking on the EK Source and checking the route tracker, will show you what ones have been in use.

S
Old Apr 1, 17, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Unfortunately you won't know till the day what 777-300ER you will be on (there isn't a -400). What you can do is check on Flightradar24 and see what the incoming aircraft is. Unlike some other airlines who publish, on occasions, a day or so before what airframe is scheduled, EK don't appear to do this.

With GLA being my home base, I've had A6-EB*, A6-EG* and A6-EN* airframes. None of them particularly new but looking on the EK Source and checking the route tracker, will show you what ones have been in use.

S
Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 17, 2:25 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

S
Saltire74, did you not know that they use a 777-400ER on the new route which starts at GLA, picks up passengers at DUB and then proceeds directly to BKK? . As always very innovative, EK. The 777-400ER is the one with private suites in Y.
Old Apr 2, 17, 2:28 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Saltire74, did you not know that they use a 777-400ER on the new route which starts at GLA, picks up passengers at DUB and then proceeds directly to BKK? . As always very innovative, EK. The 777-400ER is the one with private suites in Y.
It wouldn't surprise me . Saw something on Twitter the other day about EK wanting a triple decker

S
Old Apr 2, 17, 2:57 pm

Just travelled from.GLA to DUBAI 2 weeks ago and paid 480 for an upgrade. Thought the service was extremely poor. The bed was uncomfortable and the set up was a lot more open than we all expected.

overall I thought it was a LOT worse than BA product and defo not worth the 1920 we paid for the 4 of us.

Really disappointed.
Old Apr 2, 17, 5:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Originally Posted by dolfinco View Post
Just travelled from.GLA to DUBAI 2 weeks ago and paid 480 for an upgrade. Thought the service was extremely poor. The bed was uncomfortable and the set up was a lot more open than we all expected.

overall I thought it was a LOT worse than BA product and defo not worth the 1920 we paid for the 4 of us.

Really disappointed.
I regularly upgrade DXB-GLA and return. I really think you only get value for money if you can use the excellent GLA lounge with your status. It's also slightly better value if you're on the night departure because you can bed down and get a good rest. Usually I'm on the 1pm ex-GLA (7-8x per year). I upgrade because my tickets were free anyway but the fall in the is pushing prices up (480 is a 20% increase on anything I paid in 2016).
Old Apr 3, 17, 3:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
service was extremely poor.
The bed[...] and the set up [...]
That's hard product, not service. You upgraded Y>J? Or J>F?

Either way the EK hard product is well advertised and easily researched, especially given they only have 2 types of aircraft (777 and 380), so expectations could have been appropriately set with advance googling.
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: Emirates
Saltire74 can you please elaborate on "enquiring about faring up"? What is that and how is it different from a regular upgrade?

Thanks man
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
That's hard product, not service. You upgraded Y>J? Or J>F?

Either way the EK hard product is well advertised and easily researched, especially given they only have 2 types of aircraft (777 and 380), so expectations could have been appropriately set with advance googling.
Y > J

And it was both service and beds im afraid.
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:57 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by TAG2016 View Post
Saltire74 can you please elaborate on "enquiring about faring up"? What is that and how is it different from a regular upgrade?

Thanks man
Hi TAG2016

What I mean by this is calling EK Customer Service and enquiring how much to pay the difference from a Y to J fare therefore giving you business class travel, chauffeur drive service, lounge access and J class miles and points. With the email and check in upgrades, you only get the seat and at times, there is not much difference in cost but a big difference in the whole experience.

My prime example was a J-F fare difference last year from PEK-DXB-GLA from business saver to first and the cost was 412 which I thought was exceptional value. Of course, airline ticketing pricing is part of the dark arts but it does no harm in calling EK to enquire about up faring if you get the email offer to see the difference in price and weigh that against the added benefits.

S
Old Jul 14, 17, 8:05 pm

Would it be cheaper to try and upgrade at check in or just wait and hope for the email? Or has anyone had any experiences of upgrading through the phone that might be cheaper than the website. I travelled J class (business) on the flight out of lhr but have booked Y class (economy) on the way back but having experienced business i want to try it again! Any advice on a cheap upgrade as i realise a free upgrade is a very slim chance

Last edited by karim787; Jul 14, 17 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by karim787 View Post
Would it be cheaper to try and upgrade at check in or just wait and hope for the email? Or has anyone had any experiences of upgrading through the phone that might be cheaper than the website. I travelled J class (business) on the flight out of lhr but have booked Y class (economy) on the way back but having experienced business i want to try it again! Any advice on a cheap upgrade as i realise a free upgrade is a very slim chance
The email comes before check in so it's not a matter of waiting for the email. There won't generally be a better deal at check-in

Search this Thread
Search Engine: