Upgrade emails offers FAQ

Old Feb 12, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA BA EK
I think the agent I spoke to was mistaken. I clicked on the Terms and Conditions link in the e-mail, and I was taken to this page: https://www.emirates.com/english/des...onditions.aspx

It specifically talks about this in two bullet points:

• Chauffeur-drive service is not applicable to flights upgraded from Economy Class to Business Class with this offer.
  • Where upgrades from Business Class to First Class are purchased, individuals will be eligible for the Chauffeur-drive service offered for the original Business Class ticket purchased.

As for lounge access, it just says:
  • Airport lounge access is not available prior to departure of the flight upgraded using this offer. No lounge access is available to any subsequent Economy Class flights. Emirates Skywards members will retain access to lounges based on their tier eligibility.

That's not as cut and dry though.
Old Feb 12, 17, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by kcaco247 View Post
I think the agent I spoke to was mistaken. I clicked on the Terms and Conditions link in the e-mail, and I was taken to this page: https://www.emirates.com/english/des...onditions.aspx

It specifically talks about this in two bullet points:
  • Chauffeur-drive service is not applicable to flights upgraded from Economy Class to Business Class with this offer.
    •  
      • Where upgrades from Business Class to First Class are purchased, individuals will be eligible for the Chauffeur-drive service offered for the original Business Class ticket purchased.

As for lounge access, it just says:
  • Airport lounge access is not available prior to departure of the flight upgraded using this offer. No lounge access is available to any subsequent Economy Class flights. Emirates Skywards members will retain access to lounges based on their tier eligibility.

That's not as cut and dry though.
HUCA (Hang up, Call again)

S
Old Feb 12, 17, 12:44 pm

I called back and the agent immediately said the same thing. I persisted this time and said that it contradicts the terms and conditions, and she spent a bit more time looking into it. Eventually, she said I will keep the same services (chauffeur drive, lounge access, baggage allowance) as I had before upgrading.
Old Feb 12, 17, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Emirates

I called back and the agent immediately said the same thing. I persisted this time and said that it contradicts the terms and conditions, and she spent a bit more time looking into it. Eventually, she said I will keep the same services (chauffeur drive, lounge access, baggage allowance) as I had before upgrading.
^^

S
Old Feb 12, 17, 1:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
That makes more sense. Sad that they got it wrong the first few times. I've generally had super competent agents at the other end.
Old Feb 12, 17, 1:16 pm

After all that, I went to do the upgrade online, and it failed at the end. I called (again ) and they said it's because there is only availability for one passenger, and I needed two (traveling with a family member). I am only given the option to upgrade both passengers (not that I would want to only upgrade one). Oh well, not meant to be I suppose...

Thank you for all the great advice!
Old Feb 12, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
might be worth looking how much it would cost to buy the miles and upgrade that way because of the 50% off upgrades to F at the moment.
Old Feb 13, 17, 5:21 pm

Upgrade options BOS-DXB-BLR

New to Emirates and chose the flight as it best fits my schedule. Joined Skywards at base level. Due to company policy, I must book economy and purchased a Flex ticket. Any idea what my options could be leading up to travel to upgrade? Wondering if anyone here received offers to upgrade near to the flight, and what the cost would be. Also have 30k in membership rewards pts which I believe I could transfer 1:1 if that is an option. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13, 17, 9:26 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Emirates does send out upgrade offers by email but for each sector separately based on what revenue management feels is necessary so there are no guarantees you will get one. I've got emails when J is empty or when Y is full/oversold. USA-DXB sector is always $1000 one way and I usually fly to NBO which is $600 for that sector. IMHO it's not worth it for such a short sector. Very important to know is that if you use the email upgrade option, it does NOT include chauffeur service or lounge access. If you don't get the email you can ask at the airport and may get the $1000 offer then based on availability.

You can use miles to upgrade but I think you only have enough for the short sector. You can buy miles to top up your balance.

You can find the miles calculator here https://www.emirates.com/account/us/...alculator.aspx
Old Feb 14, 17, 2:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I usually find that the fare difference is lower than the email offers and includes the add on services. Might not be true the day before travel, but I don't think that's the case here. I'd call and check the fare difference first. Points or a paid upgrade have been the best options IMO.
Old Feb 14, 17, 2:54 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by pvdtravel View Post
New to Emirates and chose the flight as it best fits my schedule. Joined Skywards at base level. Due to company policy, I must book economy and purchased a Flex ticket. Any idea what my options could be leading up to travel to upgrade? Wondering if anyone here received offers to upgrade near to the flight, and what the cost would be. Also have 30k in membership rewards pts which I believe I could transfer 1:1 if that is an option. Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by vytas315 View Post
I usually find that the fare difference is lower than the email offers and includes the add on services. Might not be true the day before travel, but I don't think that's the case here. I'd call and check the fare difference first. Points or a paid upgrade have been the best options IMO.
Hi pvdtravel and welcome to the forum. You've found the right place to help with your future Emirates travels, so please feel at home and join in the discussions.

We've had a few questions of late in regards to email upgrade offers and if all you are looking at onboard is the extra comfort without any of the additional frills on the ground then they are the way to go.

However, as vytas315 points out, and this would be my ethos too, is find out how much a paid fare difference is first. They may actually be less expensive than the email offer but YMMV.

As for the miles, you may have enough for the DXB-BLR (not sure on that one) once/if you transferred or the option of buying some extra miles if required to top up. Buying enough miles for the itinerary would be expensive and may well work out less paying the fare difference with cash.

Do keep in mind that any email offer does not come with chauffeur drive or lounge access.

let us know how you get on.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Feb 14, 17, 8:27 am

Thank you very much for the replies! I will keep an eye out for the offers and report back on how I make out.

The lounge/chauffeur perks are not as important to me, just trying to make the flight more comfortable.
Old Mar 31, 17, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Exclamation Email Upgrade Offers

Does anyone know If they are for 1 flight or the whole leg?

I am going gla to bkk via dub

Would it be the 2 flights for just the one?
Old Mar 31, 17, 4:51 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post

They are usually for only one flight and should be explicitly stated in the email.
Old Apr 1, 17, 2:50 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post

Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
They are usually for only one flight and should be explicitly stated in the email.
As kq747 says, but something I've said before. If the offer is enticing, enquire how much to 'fare up' on your ticket. Sometimes it isn't that much more expensive and you get the full range of services. This obviously doesn't work all of the time but always worth a try.

S

Search this Thread
Search Engine: