Upgrade emails offers FAQ

Old Feb 1, 12, 7:31 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Posts: 1,229
Originally Posted by khalid26 View Post
Wouldn't that be on the Skywards profile anyway?
The system does not seem to use this. I say this because after I make a booking and go in to make changes the system to some things it often/usually asks me to input an email address for them to use to communicate with you about the booking. This is not even prepopulated with your profile email address.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Feb 1, 12 at 7:31 pm Reason: typo
mrtdxb is offline  
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:11 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by mrtdxb View Post
The system does not seem to use this. I say this because after I make a booking and go in to make changes the system to some things it often/usually asks me to input an email address for them to use to communicate with you about the booking. This is not even prepopulated with your profile email address.
+1. Never had a J to F upgrade offer in over 13 years of flying EK and 5 as Gold ( never had Y to J but thtas not surprising as I've never flown EK Y) . And never been op upped in the same time period, something I cannot say for any other airline I've been an FF on.
J out of GRU is always full. The world of EK opups seems to be somewhere see as far as I am concerned.
rathin100 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 1:46 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
+1. Never had a J to F upgrade offer in over 13 years of flying EK and 5 as Gold ( never had Y to J but thtas not surprising as I've never flown EK Y) . And never been op upped in the same time period, something I cannot say for any other airline I've been an FF on.
J out of GRU is always full. The world of EK opups seems to be somewhere see as far as I am concerned.
They must have you on their black list, it seems!
GigoloArt is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 1:56 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by GigoloArt View Post
They must have you on their black list, it seems!
Not really.. I know people who work for EK and they have checked.. Plus i also know other people with my experience It's just that J to F ugrades are much rarer, totally random, and are highly dependent on where you fly out I now fly them very little but still have the (useless to a J flyer) Gold Card because it is so easy to get.
rathin100 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 3:18 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,454
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
...and are highly dependent on where you fly out I now fly them very little but still have the (useless to a J flyer) Gold Card because it is so easy to get.
Some would argue that Gold is harder to get now due to the Saver/Flex issues. There are some on this board who might take a full 12-months - and then there are some who earn 50K tier miles in a month (or more). As you say, its highly dependent on where you fly from and routes/cabins you fly in. I've had plenty of Y-J op-ups, have been op-upped from a Y-J upgrade (using miles) and ended up in F and had 3-4 op-ups from ticketed J-F. While I would like to think they happen as a result of my natural charm and charisma, it all boils down to who's working the flight and the fact that my last begins with a "C".
eightblack is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 3:51 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
Not really.. I know people who work for EK and they have checked.. Plus i also know other people with my experience It's just that J to F ugrades are much rarer, totally random, and are highly dependent on where you fly out I now fly them very little but still have the (useless to a J flyer) Gold Card because it is so easy to get.
I wasn't serious! but you really checked??
GigoloArt is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 6:10 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 83
The emails are sent completely at random for each flight. This is done on purpose because they don't want Golds who usually travel in J starting to book Y and planning on receiving an email each time. You need to visit the website and enter your email address on the booking to have a chance of receiving them. Doesn't matter how you booked or the class.

This came from someone who sends the emails.
Tibs94 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:25 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Posts: 2,434
Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
Some would argue that Gold is harder to get now due to the Saver/Flex issues. There are some on this board who might take a full 12-months - and then there are some who earn 50K tier miles in a month (or more). As you say, its highly dependent on where you fly from and routes/cabins you fly in. I've had plenty of Y-J op-ups, have been op-upped from a Y-J upgrade (using miles) and ended up in F and had 3-4 op-ups from ticketed J-F. While I would like to think they happen as a result of my natural charm and charisma, it all boils down to who's working the flight and the fact that my last begins with a "C".
You are not this person are you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Cowell

Last edited by ukdoctor; Feb 4, 12 at 7:51 am
ukdoctor is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:36 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 83
Unfortunately not. :-(
Tibs94 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 4:11 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by GigoloArt View Post
I wasn't serious! but you really checked??
I did quite recently because of my long term zero record on EK and my excellent opup record with BA, SWISS, LH and in the past CX (all J to F ) I genuinely wondered if I was on a blacklist. Apparently not in fact I am on some corporate CIP list that gives me some fairly useless lounge access privilege, but I was told that, as Eightblack says,EK has no enforced policy in this area. Management simply could not care less. So opups are done by the duty manager/load controller who can do just what he/she pleases. There is no follow up or analysis of these things unlike (and this is fact not surmise) in the case of BA ( semi public info as based largely on CVV score), LH LX CX (strict elites first policy)

That is in a way even more irritating. But I also know others now who have given up on EK for the same reason (not so much lack of upgrades as

overstuffed J cabins and paid ticket middle seats ) so I know it's not just me.

This used to really Bug me when I was flying exclusively on EK and directing my organizational business their way in the mistaken attempt to build a client relationship. But this is not EKs forte, unlike BA LH etc.

Once one realises this, and flies EK only for price or convenience, sees the Gold Card as a useless thing for elite privileges when in J, one comes to expect an overstuffed J cabin, knows that the lounge will be a zoo with a
shower with water pressure that probably best compares favorably with a Bombay slum, then the focus is on the good things about EK ( AVOD, service and the fact that one is flying EK cos it's cheap and/or fast and from GRU/GIG both are true at least twice a year) then all is well!
rathin100 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 6:56 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,932
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
So opups are done by the duty manager/load controller who can do just what he/she pleases.
This is an unusual comment given most reports on here until very recently indicate the op-up "rules" appear to be related to status. Do you think this is not the case?
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
.... and paid ticket middle seats....
If you have a paid ticket you can chose your seat in advance. No reason to have a middle seat unless you book late enough that no other seats are available, in which case it's understandable.
ft101 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 7:20 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
This is an unusual comment given most reports on here until very recently indicate the op-up "rules" appear to be related to status. Do you think this is not the case?
If you have a paid ticket you can chose your seat in advance. No reason to have a middle seat unless you book late enough that no other seats are available, in which case it's understandable.

My understanding is that the policy is to look at status but in practice this does not happen and management is not at all bothered about implementing policy.


Ref the middle seat, yes, I'm just warning ppl they exist, Ek will put you in them if you are too busy and your TA to lazy to prereserve your preference, and to watch for them. Many of us who fly J on non US airlines rarely see middle seats long haul. When they exist, we rarely have this problem because we rarely see full J cabins unlike on EK with it's generous and (with miles) easy upgrade policy from Y to J. On BA and LH it is extremely rare fir a paying J pax to get a middle seat when travelling alone, even without preassignment. I havenever heard of a case where this has happened, unlike on EK where it's by no means rare.

Last edited by rathin100; Feb 5, 12 at 7:25 am
rathin100 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 8:14 am
  #58  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,445
Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
On BA and LH it is extremely rare fir a paying J pax to get a middle seat when travelling alone, even without preassignment. I havenever heard of a case where this has happened, unlike on EK where it's by no means rare.


There are 2 middle seats on BA J. Lots of fare paying passengers have to use them - there are relatively few op-ups/reward seats available. If you don't have status and haven't paid to pre book a seat, the chances are you'll end up in a middle seat.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 8:32 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post


There are 2 middle seats on BA J. Lots of fare paying passengers have to use them - there are relatively few op-ups/reward seats available. If you don't have status and haven't paid to pre book a seat, the chances are you'll end up in a middle seat.
I don't think so at least on the 747 and 777

BA ( because as you say the opups are more strict and you can't just book any fare and opup for reasonable miles unless you paid for WT. Plus) rarely, very very rarely, has full J cabins so except at absolute peak load times of the year these seats tend to be empty or given to opups If CW J cabin is close to sold out they start putting GGLS in FIRST rather than give single rev passengers middles. I have asked BA about this and the info. above is based on their feedback I do think they take this seriously, certainly far more than EK .
Sometimes the middles in conjunction with aisles are booked by families or couples but IMO. It is rare that you get one as a single revenue pax there I have never seen it and I do look/ask Even on the very full OZ route when I've been on it
rathin100 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 1:30 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BOM
Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,794
Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
and the fact that my last begins with a "C".
Mine with an "S". Am usually way down the list

So opups are done by the duty manager/load controller who can do just what he/she pleases.
I agree. My op-up rate out of BOM is virtually zero. Though, I've seen several folks who had been handed J boarding passes seem to be really friendly with the ground staff as if they knew them personally....

Maybe, this is one of the things you guys could bring up with the folks at EK/Skywards when you meet them at the Duibai do - get some order/ uniformity into the OP-UP process among different EK destinations.
jackiedada is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: