Upgrade emails offers FAQ

Old Aug 5, 19, 2:47 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
I have been platinum for 4 years now, and since that time, I haven't had one email offer for the times I wasn't flying F. They must think I'm captive and will upgrade with cash (which I never do). There's a strong feeling that Emirates take platinums for granted and consider it's better to give blues, silvers or golds the opportunity to experience an upgrade to J or F and hopefully hook them into paying for it in future, thereby increasing the number of premium fares sold. A good business model, but it doesn't reward loyalty. Emirates don't do that well, as even platinum is not valued by them much.

And after a while it starts to pall somewhat. I know Emirates don't give a toss if they lose people like myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of platinums who continue to vote with their feet. Emirates needs to hold onto loyal customers more positively because in the bad times, frequent flyers (and everyone else) look for genuinely more competitive fares, then swap loyalty and don't return. It's never a good idea to take any group of people for granted.
I don't think the upgrade offers (from Y-J) depend on status/how much you travel etc. I rarely receive an email advertising the offer, but the offers from Y-J always appear at OLCI if the P fare bucket shows availability (although that function does not seem to be working on EF at the moment).

I have never received a J-F offer.
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: Skywards
Dilemma.

Im flying from Glasgow to Shanghai next week and have been offered an upgrade on both sectors (GLA-DXB and DXB-PVG) - both upgrade emails came in on different days with the latter just hitting my inbox today.

For GLA-DXB, they want 25k miles + 100 in taxes.
For PVG-DXB, they want 32k miles only.

According to the Emirates call centre, the PVG-DXB is quite busy and looks as if it will be oversold in economy with a potential upgrade in Dubai. Glasgow to Dubai looks relatively empty with 50 empty seats.

Which upgrade would you opt for and why?
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y View Post
Which upgrade would you opt for and why?
Both good deals and back to the miles required several years ago for these sectors - what ticket type are you on? With the info so far, depending on what I had to do at the other end, I'd go for the DXB-PVG flight, simply because it's longer and it's the A380. Even more so if you're on the evening (B777) flight out of Glasgow.
Old Aug 18, 19, 7:46 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
What's your status and what fare are you on?
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:22 am

Programs: Skywards
Apologies, shouldve mentioned this before:

flex ticket outbound
flex plus inbound

gold tier
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:35 am

Programs: BA - Silver
Previously a regular one world flyer being based in London however flew my first Emirates flight last week.

DXB to BKK in Economy Flex

Received email to upgrade for 1650aed 3 days before. Took this and found it good value.

Fly home BKK - DXB on Friday at 21:25 and hoping to receive the same mail! Likely to get the mail on the return leg?
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GoonerWhitey View Post
Previously a regular one world flyer being based in London however flew my first Emirates flight last week.

DXB to BKK in Economy Flex

Received email to upgrade for 1650aed 3 days before. Took this and found it good value.

Fly home BKK - DXB on Friday at 21:25 and hoping to receive the same mail! Likely to get the mail on the return leg?
decent chance ex BKK. If you don't check in online via the website (desktop version) and you might get an offer. You can also ask at check-in. EK didn't previously offer discounted upgrades at check-in but they did on my flight ex BOM on Sunday.

If you have ExpertFlyer monitor P availability as this is the discounted upgrade
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: BA - Silver
Many thanks for the reply and advice. Will update after.....

being use to Club world - Emirates was a big step up and I am quickly accustomed 😅

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
decent chance ex BKK. If you don't check in online via the website (desktop version) and you might get an offer. You can also ask at check-in. EK didn't previously offer discounted upgrades at check-in but they did on my flight ex BOM on Sunday.

If you have ExpertFlyer monitor P availability as this is the discounted upgrade
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, EK Silver, HH Gold, MR Gold

Does the check in method matter? i.e. if I check-in through the desktop site I may not receive an offer, where as if I check-in through app it could be prompted? Or are you saying hold off as late as possible before checking in or check in at desk?
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diss50 View Post
Does the check in method matter? i.e. if I check-in through the desktop site I may not receive an offer, where as if I check-in through app it could be prompted? Or are you saying hold off as late as possible before checking in or check in at desk?
I've only ever seen it through the desktop site
diss50 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:33 am
twr

I remember last year when I flew I got an email upgrade about a week before the flight that did not include lounge and car pick up, my question is if I do an upgrade before my trip which is in two weeks time by purchasing miles, will that include the lounge and pick up? I don't actually need those,so trying to work out if if I should wait for the email or purchase the upgrade now? Never flown business class before,it's a flex plus ticket
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by twr View Post
I remember last year when I flew I got an email upgrade about a week before the flight that did not include lounge and car pick up, my question is if I do an upgrade before my trip which is in two weeks time by purchasing miles, will that include the lounge and pick up? I don't actually need those,so trying to work out if if I should wait for the email or purchase the upgrade now? Never flown business class before,it's a flex plus ticket
I'd miles upgrade is available and you do one you will receive lounge access but no chauffeur drive. There might not be an email offer. They don't send them out for every flight
twr likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:18 pm
twr

I'd miles upgrade is available and you do one you will receive lounge access but no chauffeur drive. There might not be an email offer. They don't send them out for every flight
okay thanks as long as I get lounge access in Johannesburg?Because I thought the new upgrade would put me at their new business class fare which doesn't entitle lounge access, is there anyway to check?
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by twr View Post
okay thanks as long as I get lounge access in Johannesburg?Because I thought the new upgrade would put me at their new business class fare which doesn't entitle lounge access, is there anyway to check?
It doesn't. Upgrades to into D bucket and you retain your Y fare brand (e.g. Y Flex becomes J Flex). You have lounge access prior to the upgraded flight only, at the departure airport of that flight
twr and Carl380 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: