Old Jul 10, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, AV, 9W
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Won't come down. More a factor of full Y cabin rather than full or empty J
Gotcha. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I seem to get plenty as Gold - didn't think they were a rarity. Last one was the same as yours BKK-DXB for 355 in early June. This was on a T fare which is the cheapest Saver there is I believe. Got another T fare in a couple of weeks so we'll see if it's the same again.
Few interesting parts to this. I have not had email offers for a long time (years), even on flights where family members received them as blue and silver members. I am quite surprised the offer is the same price regardless of economy ticket type, which I think makes it worth while for some, not for others. Also a recurring theme seems to be BKK for the recent posts. I have had three op-ups this year alone BKK-DXB having never received one before but they were all on Flex+ tickets.
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by nmc980 View Post
I'm off to BKK tonight in Y on a flex ticket.
Had 2 x email offers sent through (mentioned above) but declined.
Have tracked flights over the past week or so on Expert Flyer and 90% have been going out with Y0.
As of last night my flight is +20 in Y - so hoping the op-up gods are looking upon me favorably
it seems you made a good call!
nmc980 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:25 pm
formerly EKplat

Programs: EK plat, ET blue, QF bronze
Originally Posted by Will08 View Post
Few interesting parts to this. I have not had email offers for a long time (years), even on flights where family members received them as blue and silver members. I am quite surprised the offer is the same price regardless of economy ticket type, which I think makes it worth while for some, not for others. Also a recurring theme seems to be BKK for the recent posts. I have had three op-ups this year alone BKK-DXB having never received one before but they were all on Flex+ tickets.
I have been platinum for 4 years now, and since that time, I haven't had one email offer for the times I wasn't flying F. They must think I'm captive and will upgrade with cash (which I never do). There's a strong feeling that Emirates take platinums for granted and consider it's better to give blues, silvers or golds the opportunity to experience an upgrade to J or F and hopefully hook them into paying for it in future, thereby increasing the number of premium fares sold. A good business model, but it doesn't reward loyalty. Emirates don't do that well, as even platinum is not valued by them much.

And after a while it starts to pall somewhat. I know Emirates don't give a toss if they lose people like myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of platinums who continue to vote with their feet. Emirates needs to hold onto loyal customers more positively because in the bad times, frequent flyers (and everyone else) look for genuinely more competitive fares, then swap loyalty and don't return. It's never a good idea to take any group of people for granted.
Will08 and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas View Post
I have been platinum for 4 years now, and since that time, I haven't had one email offer for the times I wasn't flying F. They must think I'm captive and will upgrade with cash (which I never do). There's a strong feeling that Emirates take platinums for granted and consider it's better to give blues, silvers or golds the opportunity to experience an upgrade to J or F and hopefully hook them into paying for it in future, thereby increasing the number of premium fares sold. A good business model, but it doesn't reward loyalty. Emirates don't do that well, as even platinum is not valued by them much.

And after a while it starts to pall somewhat. I know Emirates don't give a toss if they lose people like myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of platinums who continue to vote with their feet. Emirates needs to hold onto loyal customers more positively because in the bad times, frequent flyers (and everyone else) look for genuinely more competitive fares, then swap loyalty and don't return. It's never a good idea to take any group of people for granted.
Your theory is exactly how I experienced my first business class flight. Back then I paid around 150 quid for MAN-DXB and even though it was a 777 I loved every minute of it. Of course I had nothing to compare it to and had no idea about the difference with the A380. However, the numbers just don't work for me now. I mainly travel on Flex+ so it is never worth it.

Your other comments is something I am currently pondering but I'll post seperately to avoid going toofar off topic.
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:38 am

Programs: Many
434 SGD to upgrade from Eco Flex to Business on DXB-IST.

Declined.