Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Thanks for the correction
To clarify:

Y to J:
with Miles > D
with cash on special offer > P
with cash full fare difference > lowest revenue available (H, O, I, C, J)

J to F:
with Miles: Z
with cash: A, F
kq747, ukdoctor and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:05 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Just for a data point. DXB - SYD Y to J offer $1100
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by motherwell1991
Offer from GLA-DXB was £379pp and DXB-BKK was £284pp. Flights are 25th and 26thJuly.
Offers were via email.
Are you on a Flex ticket? I just ask due to the pricing compared to what I was offered last week coming from BKK to EDI.

I would be tempted to take the GLA-DXB leg just because it's an hour longer at the bar. You can then try to.sleep on the next one. It could also be choc a bloc in Economy due to holidays. I got a Y-J upgrade last year on EK28, 26/7/19 due to economy being full (B777).

There's mixed reports on the delays due to the fingerprint scanners in BKK - sometimes they're not being used at all still, and when they are it's done in parallel with passport/visa checks so doesn't add time. I've also read the horror stories where they've been said to slow everything down. By the end of July you'd think things would be running a bit smoother.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Are you on a Flex ticket? I just ask due to the pricing compared to what I was offered last week coming from BKK to EDI.

I would be tempted to take the GLA-DXB leg just because it's an hour longer at the bar. You can then try to.sleep on the next one. It could also be choc a bloc in Economy due to holidays. I got a Y-J upgrade last year on EK28, 26/7/19 due to economy being full (B777).

There's mixed reports on the delays due to the fingerprint scanners in BKK - sometimes they're not being used at all still, and when they are it's done in parallel with passport/visa checks so doesn't add time. I've also read the horror stories where they've been said to slow everything down. By the end of July you'd think things would be running a bit smoother.
I don't think the fare type matters for the upgrade offers, there've been reports of people on Y Savers getting them at what seem to be the regular amounts
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zol
Just for a data point. DXB - SYD Y to J offer $1100
Thanks a great offer!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't think the fare type matters for the upgrade offers, there've been reports of people on Y Savers getting them at what seem to be the regular amounts
I'd never really thought about it, but the price is ~£100 GBP less than I was asked for last week on a similar routing as motherwell1991. If it's not fare type I wonder why the difference?

ETA: Just looked at my flights last July. Y Flex and email offers to upgrade GLA-DXB and DXB-BKK both ~£100 each more than this offer too so no matter what, it seems a good offer.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: EK Blue QR Burgundy

Thanks.We're on a Saver ticket. Wife and I discussed exactly what you've said and upgraded for the reasons suggested. We'll take advantage of the inflight service and then sleep it off
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:36 am

I'd never really thought about it, but the price is ~£100 GBP less than I was asked for last week on a similar routing as motherwell1991. If it's not fare type I wonder why the difference?

ETA: Just looked at my flights last July. Y Flex and email offers to upgrade GLA-DXB and DXB-BKK both ~£100 each more than this offer too so no matter what, it seems a good offer.
EK may be getting more dynamic with the upgrade offers. Or just adjusting to changing markets. I wonder if maybe it's based on some kind of median or mean of what the pax on that route have paid for Y or J or something like that, recalculated monthly or quarterly, or based on season. with BKK they're always having to give out op-ups so even if they can get an extra GBP100 for an upgrade vs giving it out free they might jump at it (though then there's the question of diluting the J brand vs goodwill of free upgrade and such)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: EK Blue QR Burgundy
For additional information I also looked into the cost of cash upgrades for both sectors. Total cost was £1903 so £577 difference. Car was already booked into car park and we don't fly often enough to benefit from the FF points so if anyone can guest us into the lounge I'll be delighted LOL
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:44 am

For additional information I also looked into the cost of cash upgrades for both sectors. Total cost was £1903 so £577 difference. Car was already booked into car park and we don't fly often enough to benefit from the FF points so if anyone can guest us into the lounge I'll be delighted LOL
You can give it a shot here: Emirates Lounge Meetup Thread - 2019

You haven't mentioned your exact date and times, do note that your host must be on the same flight as you, unfortunately. You can also pay $100 each for access (+$5 VAT in DXB), but you could just as well sink that into an airport bar or restaurant
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
I got 2 emails yesterday. One for my flight 3 July AMS-DXB to upgrade to business for €389 on the 777-300ER. Second email was for my flight on 7 July DXB-SGN (777-300ER) to upgrade for €354. I clicked on the Upgrade button and surprisingly it also showed upgrade prices for HAN-DXB and DXB-AMS, both on 27 July 2019. Prices for those legs are €354 and €389, so same for the return. DXB-AMS is on the A380 which is more interesting than the 777-300ER. Still wondering if the offer at online check-in will be better.

2 years ago in 2017, I had a flight BNE-DXB-LHR. The 'Manage my booking' section on the Emirates website quoted me a rated of €2300 for both legs to upgrade to business. Online check-in gave me an offer of €1200 for both legs.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: EK Gold

I'm flying DXB-BKK return on a flex ticket mid-july and received email offers yesterday evening for both legs - both were the price motherwell1991 quoted - AED 1324.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:27 am

. . . . . so if anyone can guest us into the lounge I'll be delighted LOL
Two days too early for me. I'll be there on the 27th on the evening flight.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Just wondering if I would have a lesser chance of receiving the upgrade email offer if I purchase my ticket through a 3rd party agent/website?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Just wondering if I would have a lesser chance of receiving the upgrade email offer if I purchase my ticket through a 3rd party agent/website?
By e-mail I think yes, unless you update your details on the EK system, then I'm not sure. But either way you can get it from the desktop website OLCI if P is available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.