Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade emails offers FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Yes, however there is a chance that any unsold email upgrade offers may be offered at check in (if you ask and get there early). Have purchased an upgrade ex-UK on a QF flight number.
Thanks for the data point. It was definitely an upgrade offer, not the fare difference right?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by eminere
Thanks for the data point. It was definitely an upgrade offer, not the fare difference right?

Yes, I have done this before. Same restrictions on lounge access.
eminere likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: EK Gold
I have just accepted an email offer of upgrade Y to J on EK374 to BKK on 24 June. I was on a flex ticket and the upgrade was for Ł269, usual restrictions of no lounge or car. I can access lounge anyway and the ride into BKK is only Ł25 in a decent limo. Seems like a good deal, although I was also hoping for an op-up to be honest. Fingers crossed for the op-up on my LHR to DXB sector.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:52 am

Received two emails for flights in a couple of weeks. Checked online and it would be cheaper to do it there where it would also give me chauffeur drive and lounge access. Nuts.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:13 am

I just received an email yesterday for my upcoming flight next week. I’m already flying in J class and this was an offer to upgrade to F class with Miles only.

I called EK’s customer service number, and they mentioned that currently, the upgrade option is miles only.

As I do not have sufficient miles, I inquired about a cash upgrade over the phone or at the airport. The agent mentioned to try at the ticket counter but currently this is a miles only upgrade.

If there will still be a handful of F seats still available and no other pax upgrade with miles, would I have a good chance of a good deal ($ wise) to upgrade at the ticket counter?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Any one got any idea what the check in upgrade offer price is Y to J from MAN to DXB?? I've had Ł358 then Ł461 via email so far but each time there were only 3 seats in P bucket and we need 4 anyway is it likely to be higher than this i.e. Ł461 ??. I know my flight is oversold in Y
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN
Any one got any idea what the check in upgrade offer price is Y to J from MAN to DXB?? I've had Ł358 then Ł461 via email so far but each time there were only 3 seats in P bucket and we need 4 anyway is it likely to be higher than this i.e. Ł461 ??. I know my flight is oversold in Y
At the check-in desk it will be the full fare difference between yours and the lowest available revenue J fare (i.e. not P). P can only be purchased online in advance
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks for the speedy reply
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:01 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
With an economy saver booking, is it correct that you may only get an upgrade offer at online check in opening?

Also, would pre-purchasing seats reduce your chances of getting an upgrade offer?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by McG
With an economy saver booking, is it correct that you may only get an upgrade offer at online check in opening?

Also, would pre-purchasing seats reduce your chances of getting an upgrade offer?
With a saver fare you can only upgrade with miles at check-in, we don't have any data to indicate whether a Saver is more or less likely to receive a promotional cash or miles upgrade offer at check-in, but they are targeted and not everyone gets them
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by McG

I've definitely had them on Economy Saver tickets, although not for a few years, a few days in advance of OLCI opening. No idea if pre-purchasing seats makes a difference.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have an economy saver ticket in a few weeks time and will report over here if I get a upgrade offer via email.

The odd thing was that I never got them when I was gold. When I moved down to silver I used to get them quite often .

This will be my first Y flight as a blue and will see what happens.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
We flew from Bali to Dubai 2 weeks ago, with my wife and my 2 daughters (adults). We had 3 different booking files.
Saver tickets
As a gold member, I did not receive any upgrade offer by email.
My 2 daughters, blue member, received each an upgrade offer by email. I bought the upgrade for them and took their boarding passes for me and my wife.
Business class was empty.
I still do not understand why I was refused to upgrade with my miles for this leg when I called Emirates, prior to the flight.....

Last edited by Greglem; Aug 23, 2018 at 5:25 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Status combined with your travel pattern can actually be counterproductive to receiving discounted offers if their interpretation of the data suggests to them that you are also likely to fly higher cabins on flights at the normal rate. E.g., the last things airlines want to do is create an expectation with frequent fliers that they will often receive these offers, as this is likely to have them hold out for the offers as opposed to booking at higher published fares. As Platinum I hardly ever receive them, and (unsurprisingly) have also experienced others on my flights with low or no status having received offers while I have not. At the end of the day it is the usual game of trying to maximize revenue, not just on a given flight but from the overall relationship with a customer.

Last edited by Wtravel; Aug 23, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:42 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Ł738 to upgrade the DXB-PER leg of GLA-DXB-PER from Economy Saver to Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.