New SEA service

Old Dec 31, 11, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

New SEA service

Was looking at the Emirates website...they're referring to SEA as 'Tacoma International Airport' when booking a flight. Might want to fix that, folks.
Old Dec 31, 11, 10:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
SEA airport is called "Tacoma International Airport"

why would they change it?
Old Dec 31, 11, 10:43 pm

Interesting observation. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, not Tacoma International Airport. EK gotta fix that.
Old Dec 31, 11, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

A little history for the folks at EK...Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned by the Port of Seattle. The citizens of King County (the county Seattle is located in) are the ones that built SeaTac airport (and CONTINUE to pay for) through their tax dollars. It was only because back in the 1940's when Seattle and Tacoma were not that different in population that Seattle was 'nice' and included Tacoma in the name of the airport. To call it 'Tacoma International Airport' is not only insulting but totally inaccurate.
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Interesting observation. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, not Tacoma International Airport. EK gotta fix that.
Agreed. This should be correctly the name of airport. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. They have to fix it right way.
Old Jan 3, 12, 12:30 am

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS View Post
A little history for the folks at EK...Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned by the Port of Seattle. The citizens of King County (the county Seattle is located in) are the ones that built SeaTac airport (and CONTINUE to pay for) through their tax dollars. It was only because back in the 1940's when Seattle and Tacoma were not that different in population that Seattle was 'nice' and included Tacoma in the name of the airport. To call it 'Tacoma International Airport' is not only insulting but totally inaccurate.
My understanding is that the city of Tacoma paid $100k for naming rights when the field was being developed. And the people of Seattle have been so far been so "nice" as to try and change the name twice- without getting Tacoma's sign off. The way it has been explained to me it took legal action to make sure the "Tacoma" part stayed as is...

I don't really have a dog in the fight. I live in Tacoma but am a recent transplant. But I am not sure the reason it is SEATAC is because the folks up north are just so darn "nice."
Old Jan 3, 12, 7:57 am

As far as I can see it's only incorrect in one place - the "From" box on the "Search for Flights" pop-up on the home page, and only affects the US-English version of the site. Everwhere else appears to be correct.

I'm not sure how it's deemed to be insulting. It's an easy mistake for someone to make - if I see "New York-JFK International Airport" I take the city name to be New York and the airport to be "JFK International Airport". Same goes for "Paris-Orly" or "London-Gatwick". Someone in EK not familiar with the airport made a simple mistake. I'm sure it's easily corrected by contacting the airline.
Old Jan 3, 12, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by blagger View Post
As far as I can see it's only incorrect in one place - the "From" box on the "Search for Flights" pop-up on the home page, and only affects the US-English version of the site. Everwhere else appears to be correct.

I'm not sure how it's deemed to be insulting. It's an easy mistake for someone to make - if I see "New York-JFK International Airport" I take the city name to be New York and the airport to be "JFK International Airport". Same goes for "Paris-Orly" or "London-Gatwick". Someone in EK not familiar with the airport made a simple mistake. I'm sure it's easily corrected by contacting the airline.
I live in the US and I also thought it was "Tacoma International Airport" in Seattle. Stupid Americans!
Old Jan 3, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
The airport in Tacoma is known as Aroma International.
"When you smell the aroma, you know you're in Tacoma!"

Search this Thread