New SEA service

Old Dec 31, 11, 8:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 204
New SEA service

Was looking at the Emirates website...they're referring to SEA as 'Tacoma International Airport' when booking a flight. Might want to fix that, folks.
HiFlyerAS is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 10:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YYZ, Canada
Programs: Skywards Silver
Posts: 29
SEA airport is called "Tacoma International Airport"

why would they change it?
ekyyz is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 10:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,139
Interesting observation. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, not Tacoma International Airport. EK gotta fix that.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Dec 31, 11, 11:51 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 204
A little history for the folks at EK...Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned by the Port of Seattle. The citizens of King County (the county Seattle is located in) are the ones that built SeaTac airport (and CONTINUE to pay for) through their tax dollars. It was only because back in the 1940's when Seattle and Tacoma were not that different in population that Seattle was 'nice' and included Tacoma in the name of the airport. To call it 'Tacoma International Airport' is not only insulting but totally inaccurate.
HiFlyerAS is offline  
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:51 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,040
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Interesting observation. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, not Tacoma International Airport. EK gotta fix that.
Agreed. This should be correctly the name of airport. It is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. They have to fix it right way.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 12:30 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS View Post
A little history for the folks at EK...Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned by the Port of Seattle. The citizens of King County (the county Seattle is located in) are the ones that built SeaTac airport (and CONTINUE to pay for) through their tax dollars. It was only because back in the 1940's when Seattle and Tacoma were not that different in population that Seattle was 'nice' and included Tacoma in the name of the airport. To call it 'Tacoma International Airport' is not only insulting but totally inaccurate.
My understanding is that the city of Tacoma paid $100k for naming rights when the field was being developed. And the people of Seattle have been so far been so "nice" as to try and change the name twice- without getting Tacoma's sign off. The way it has been explained to me it took legal action to make sure the "Tacoma" part stayed as is...

I don't really have a dog in the fight. I live in Tacoma but am a recent transplant. But I am not sure the reason it is SEATAC is because the folks up north are just so darn "nice."
Jimmy O's is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 7:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 621
As far as I can see it's only incorrect in one place - the "From" box on the "Search for Flights" pop-up on the home page, and only affects the US-English version of the site. Everwhere else appears to be correct.

I'm not sure how it's deemed to be insulting. It's an easy mistake for someone to make - if I see "New York-JFK International Airport" I take the city name to be New York and the airport to be "JFK International Airport". Same goes for "Paris-Orly" or "London-Gatwick". Someone in EK not familiar with the airport made a simple mistake. I'm sure it's easily corrected by contacting the airline.
blagger is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 2:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Originally Posted by blagger View Post
As far as I can see it's only incorrect in one place - the "From" box on the "Search for Flights" pop-up on the home page, and only affects the US-English version of the site. Everwhere else appears to be correct.

I'm not sure how it's deemed to be insulting. It's an easy mistake for someone to make - if I see "New York-JFK International Airport" I take the city name to be New York and the airport to be "JFK International Airport". Same goes for "Paris-Orly" or "London-Gatwick". Someone in EK not familiar with the airport made a simple mistake. I'm sure it's easily corrected by contacting the airline.
I live in the US and I also thought it was "Tacoma International Airport" in Seattle. Stupid Americans!
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 2:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Left Corner of the Map
Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 2,200
The airport in Tacoma is known as Aroma International.
"When you smell the aroma, you know you're in Tacoma!"
98103 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread