FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   DXB F Lounge - What to do for 8 hours (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1296571-dxb-f-lounge-what-do-8-hours.html)

vji6697 Dec 30, 2011 4:34 am

DXB F Lounge - What to do for 8 hours

Hi all.

Thanks to folk in the newbie thread, I have managed to upgrade to first on the last leg of my return BOM-DXB-MAN. Due to the timings (and the fact that I wanted to come back home on the A380), I now have around 7-8 hours to while away in DXB, between midnight and 8am.

While I can now access the F Lounge, there is not much info on the website as to what to expect, what will be "open" etc, so I have a few questions that would help maximise the experience
  1. Are there any "sleeping" areas ? - I have read conflicting reports stating there are and there are none
  2. Is there anyplace to dump your carry on ?
  3. What type of treatments are available at the spa, and are they all free
  4. Any other tips I should know to help me make the most of my time in there ?
  5. I also assume that the food is fine and drinks/champers will be available aplenty :)
  6. Apart from the showers and the bar, anything else to ask for/look out for/do on the A380 itself ?

First time on the big bird, flying out in 2 days, back in 10 - cant wait :)

JTXC Dec 30, 2011 9:06 am

There are no sleeping couches as far as I can remember. Nor is there anywhere to store luggage. I did not try the sit down meal service. Good sushi though.

I did not try the spa the last time, but I think the first treatment is free.

The staff are pretty good there. They will bring anything you want to you. Given that the lounge is usually pretty quiet (are there any busy times for this lounge), guest are outnumbered by staff. You may find they 'swarm' you when you first enter.

Apart from the showers and the bar, anything else to ask for/look out for/do on the A380 itself ? Cannot answer that one...so far I have not done F on the 380.

Zol Dec 30, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by vji6697 (Post 17714820)
  1. What type of treatments are available at the spa, and are they all free

You get a 15 minute treatment free and anything over that you pay. Most common spa treatments available; massages, facial treatments, haircut, shave etc

2. I also assume that the food is fine and drinks/champers will be available aplenty :)

Plenty plenty and all free. You can eat from the buffet or order a la carte from the menu

vji6697 Dec 30, 2011 11:21 am

thanks both.

I'm assuming it will not be busy and with an 8 hour wait there will be plenty of time to book a treatment - not like the Virgin lounge in LHR where the slots go very quickly

Zol Dec 30, 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by vji6697 (Post 17716541)
thanks both.

I'm assuming it will not be busy and with an 8 hour wait there will be plenty of time to book a treatment - not like the Virgin lounge in LHR where the slots go very quickly

Don't worry, the lounge is a ghost town, I always make use of it as soon as I walk in.

vji6697 Dec 30, 2011 11:58 am

ta. Guess I could just get one of the bigger couches and have a little sleep if I need one after a treatment and some food/drink.

Will save the shower for the plane :)

NA-Flyer Dec 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't forget to ask for a complimentary shoe shine service ^

Planner Dec 31, 2011 9:59 pm

There is a glass-front enclosed room with full length couches/beds for sleeping, on the left just past the spa, opposite the shoe shine stand.

vji6697 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Planner (Post 17724176)
There is a glass-front enclosed room with full length couches/beds for sleeping, on the left just past the spa, opposite the shoe shine stand.

ah, many thanks.

2 hours to go before my pickup for my outbound. Got 23A on the A380 to enjoy today

Will be in the MAN Lounge from 11ish if anyone else is on the same plane

jackiedada Jan 1, 2012 1:18 am

Originally Posted by vji6697 (Post 17724551)
ah, many thanks.

2 hours to go before my pickup for my outbound. Got 23A on the A380 to enjoy today

I am supposed to be flying out from MAN on the 380 in a couple of weeks. Please share your experience on how private seat 23A is - any different from other seats in the plane. I looked at the seat maps on Seatguru and it seems that on the short haul A380s, seats 23A and K aren't as private as on the long haul 380s to JFK.

ft101 Jan 1, 2012 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 17724587)
I am supposed to be flying out from MAN on the 380 in a couple of weeks. Please share your experience on how private seat 23A is - any different from other seats in the plane. I looked at the seat maps on Seatguru and it seems that on the short haul A380s, seats 23A and K aren't as private as on the long haul 380s to JFK.

Granted Seatguru shows them differently, but my understanding is the upper decks are the same on both versions.

23A and 23K benefit from being directly behind a bulkhead thus more privacy. Also they're close to the bar, but not too close you'll be disturbed.

vji6697 Jan 1, 2012 1:57 am

Will do a trip report but may not be able to post until I get back next week

ung1 Jan 1, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 17724623)
Granted Seatguru shows them differently, but my understanding is the upper decks are the same on both versions.

23A and 23K benefit from being directly behind a bulkhead thus more privacy. Also they're close to the bar, but not too close you'll be disturbed.

There is only one upper deck version - Seatguru is wrong, it also shows one version as having more seats than the other.

JTXC Jan 1, 2012 11:26 am

I had 23A once. Very quiet, especially if the flight is not full, since I find they mostly place people in the first J cabin. I had the back cabin almost to myself once YYZ-DXB.

jackiedada Jan 2, 2012 1:54 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17725892)
There is only one upper deck version - Seatguru is wrong, it also shows one version as having more seats than the other.

Thanks for the clarification. I cross checked the seat maps on Emirates.com too and it seems the upper deck has identical seating for both aircraft types.