FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates Global Sale now on - extra 10% discount for Skywards members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1294888-emirates-global-sale-now-extra-10-discount-skywards-members.html)

Zol Dec 25, 2011 1:31 am

Emirates Global Sale now on - extra 10% discount for Skywards members

Celebrate the new year in style with Emirates and Skywards. For a limited time only, you can enjoy special fares on selected Emirates flights, to all of our destinations around the world.

And to show our appreciation for your support, as a member of Skywards you will enjoy an additional 10% discount on our special fares* and all other online fares across all classes to over 100 destinations.

You can also earn bonus Miles on selected flights with our award-winning Miles Accelerator, irrespective of the fare you pay.

Availability is limited, so don’t miss out. Sale ends 9th January 2012 for travel from 22nd January to 30th June 2012.

* 10% discount applies to the base fare only (excluding taxes and fees) and only applies to online bookings that include a valid Skywards membership number. Not applicable for itineraries starting in Australia.

Book here

mrtdxb Dec 25, 2011 2:37 am

Emirates Global Sale

I got an email this morning which was probably sent to all Skywards members with details of a sale ending 9th Jan 2012 to many destinations. They also stated that there would be an extra 10% off for Skywards members.

Just for the giggles I checked out the price of a F class RT DXB to AKL that I have bought and paid for in March. Believe it or not for the same itinary on exactly same flights the price (nett of 10% discount) came out at Aed15,481 verses the Aed29,960 that I had paid for my original ticket - this is 50% less and by ex-DXB standards is and absolutely fantastic deal.

Needless to say I bought it on the spot, switched all my pre-assigned seats around and will cancel the old ticket later on today or tomorrow. Whatever the cancellation fees are they will not likely be 50% of the ticket price and if they are I will simply reschedule the old trip and will in effect have averaged down the price of each of the two tickets to 75% of what I paid first time around.

Happy hunting!

S c 0 TT y Dec 25, 2011 9:24 am

Yep got the email too - nice one. When I seen the headline initially 'skywards' - I thought there would be some catch to it i.e. must be a Gold card holder. Looks like if its applicable to all tiers which is a treat as i'll be travelling in Feb/Mar time so any discount is a plus in my books :D

Condition One Dec 25, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks for the heads up! I purchased DXB-DEL RT in F for $812, vs. $1554 last week. The same flights were $602 in C vs. $874 last week.

8mpg Dec 25, 2011 11:05 am

is there a code? Im trying to book my first EX flight from HKG to JNB one way... Just signed up...hoping to get a discount.

Condition One Dec 25, 2011 12:11 pm

No code that I saw. The prices were the same regardless of whether I logged into my Skywards account or not.

lsed Dec 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Unfortunately there is no published rates
But OP's fare to AKL seems like a really good deal. It's almost the same price as SIN - AKL

So it seems the best discounts are Ex- DXB?

CommittedLurker Dec 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26 (Post 17688477)
Celebrate the new year in style with Emirates and Skywards. For a limited time only, you can enjoy special fares on selected Emirates flights, to all of our destinations around the world.

And to show our appreciation for your support, as a member of Skywards you will enjoy an additional 10% discount on our special fares* and all other online fares across all classes to over 100 destinations.

You can also earn bonus Miles on selected flights with our award-winning Miles Accelerator, irrespective of the fare you pay.

Availability is limited, so don’t miss out. Sale ends 9th January 2012 for travel from 22nd January to 30th June 2012.

* 10% discount applies to the base fare only (excluding taxes and fees) and only applies to online bookings that include a valid Skywards membership number. Not applicable for itineraries starting in Australia.

Book here

Some fares are pretty good. I was planning on going on LH on my next trip SFO-CCU to maintain my SEN status, but EK will work out to be about $1000 cheaper. EK it is again.

jackiedada Dec 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by 8mpg (Post 17689753)
is there a code? Im trying to book my first EX flight from HKG to JNB one way... Just signed up...hoping to get a discount.

I believe you need to type AESKW12 in the promo code.

jackiedada Dec 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Just cancelled my bom-lhr that I had booked a week earlier and rebooked @ 40% cheaper.... :)

EK_Flyer Dec 25, 2011 2:55 pm

You've got to be quick though ...

The promo fare from AKL to BLR - was 10k yesterday , now it's 11.5k - "A" fare gone leaving the "F"/ "P" fares.

All Prices in NZD

Edit: Just checked for another trip ...

AKL-DXB = 11.5k
but same dates & flights
DXB-AKL = 5.5k

Dont you love the way Fares are priced ...

Xlr Dec 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Flight with DXB as an endpoint are surprisingly inexpensive. DXB-JFK-DXB for AED 12k, wow. (Edit: To clarify, this is in J. Y is around 4.5)

This seems to be a totally legit sale, guys.

Edit2: Lol, google the code and look at the different language websites and blogs which have reposted the offer. Amazing.

ung1 Dec 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 17689959)
Unfortunately there is no published rates
But OP's fare to AKL seems like a really good deal. It's almost the same price as SIN - AKL

So it seems the best discounts are Ex- DXB?

These are published V, O, A fares that can be looked up on EF. The unfortunate part is that there's no discounted flex fares (aside from the 10% discount).

tashi Dec 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Thank You

Thanks to you all... saved $350 on LAX-DXB-LHE for 2 adults + 1 child in Coach. Basically the discount paid for the taxes :)

mrtdxb Dec 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17691141)
These are published V, O, A fares that can be looked up on EF. The unfortunate part is that there's no discounted flex fares (aside from the 10% discount).

My DXB-AKL-DXB in F showed as Flex during booking process, Flex on MMB (even now) and Saver on my eTicket ... but even if I end up with 50% of the points I am happy as it cost me 50% of what I paid the first time round ...

Chesty Dec 25, 2011 11:03 pm

I see Australia gets stiffed again. Why is the discount not applicable for flights ex Australia?

johnny28 Dec 26, 2011 12:54 am

Try using the code AUSKW12 which seems to be applicable to us.

I'm not sure what the 'additional' or 'extra' discount means because
the prices only deduct a straight 10% from the normal fare.

What isn't a good idea is to look at the cost of a return journey
from Australia to, say, Europe but do your destination to Australia (ie reverse the journey). In my case my planned PER - VCE - PER is $6,843 business Flex, but VCE - PER - VCE is 3,100 Euros (around $4,030) just a little different.
Why is it so. Marketing etc. Population with no other choice than to be screwed ?

Budley Dec 26, 2011 1:06 am

Originally Posted by johnny28 (Post 17691910)
Population with no other choice than to be screwed ?

Well that's not quite right, if you're smart.

Buy a ticket on an LCC to SIN/KUL/BKK for about $400 round-trip and then the world's your oyster.

Don't be ripped off by these legacy airlines (unless, of course, you want to).

Zol Dec 26, 2011 1:41 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb (Post 17691702)
My DXB-AKL-DXB in F showed as Flex during booking process, Flex on MMB (even now) and Saver on my eTicket ... but even if I end up with 50% of the points I am happy as it cost me 50% of what I paid the first time round ...

Yeah same here, however I don't see it as being a glitch somehow because other fares do show up as saver during the booking process. Given its endorsed in the eticket then can't really claim the miles credit.

Chesty Dec 26, 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Budley (Post 17691925)
Well that's not quite right, if you're smart.

Buy a ticket on an LCC to SIN/KUL/BKK for about $400 round-trip and then the world's your oyster.

Don't be ripped off by these legacy airlines (unless, of course, you want to).

Yeah already worked out that one. A return trip from SIN to say LHR is around $6500 in F which is great. I just get peeved by airlines constantly ripping us off with high prices ex AUS across the board.

jackiedada Dec 26, 2011 11:11 am

Most of the cheaper fares seem to have disappeared. BOM-LHR fare which was around 40% cheaper than the original fare are now showing only 15% cheaper. Apparently good things don't seem to last long . . . :(

JTXC Dec 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb (Post 17691702)

So does it offer only Saver miles in J and F? I booked a DXB-LHR return in J a few months ago, but now it is offering the same flights for $900 less. I was considering cancelling and rebooking, but I will not if it means I shall only get Saver miles, and I suspect that I would lose my upgrade on points to F DXB-LHR.

mrtdxb Dec 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 17693651)
So does it offer only Saver miles in J and F? I booked a DXB-LHR return in J a few months ago, but now it is offering the same flights for $900 less. I was considering cancelling and rebooking, but I will not if it means I shall only get Saver miles, and I suspect that I would lose my upgrade on points to F DXB-LHR.

It would certainly appear so. I also picked up a DXB-LHR-DXB for late January in J on A380 both ways for Aed8,600 and it showed Saver miles all the way. I priced up F as well and it came to approx Aed17,000 and showed saver miles. And yes, at least as far as I know, you would have start over with the points upgrade and run the risk of losing out.

sadiqhassan Dec 26, 2011 8:13 pm

If I need to change the 1st sector after the sale has ended will I be liable to pay the fare difference to the non sale price? I know many western airlines do this but I am not sure if / dont think EK does.

ung1 Dec 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17695664)
If I need to change the 1st sector after the sale has ended will I be liable to pay the fare difference to the non sale price? I know many western airlines do this but I am not sure if / dont think EK does.

Yes, good point. For changes before departure, EK will reprice the itinerary to the new fare. This is usually captured in the fare rules when applicable.

Though, for the 10% discount, the published fare is still whatever it normally is. So, if you change departure to another date in the same fare bucket, you won't have to pay the fare difference, as there is none.

sadiqhassan Dec 26, 2011 9:08 pm

The fares I'm looking at expire Jan 9th and I won't know my dates till after that.

I called EK and they said as long as the rbd doesn't change and the ticket is within the validity of the original ticket I am only charged a date change fee and not fare difference. I don't know if I trust the agent though!

Code:

[Sales Restrictions]
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 25DEC11 AND ON/BEFORE
09JAN12.

torontoflyer Dec 27, 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17695664)

Yes, this has happened to me just the other day when i tried to change a ticket ( i purchased a F ticket with 53% discount).
I was able to change all the other sectors, but not the first flight. Luckily, i am ok with the first sector (wanted to move it one day earlier), so that is ok.
You can change the flights as much as you want after you fly the first sector (given that you have no change fees).

jackiedada Dec 27, 2011 3:01 am

I was able to change all the other sectors, but not the first flight
I think they may allow it if you are just a day or two off from the sale end date - depends on whether the fares are still available.

I also purchased an F ticket @ 53% discount and spoke with the contact center on the 15th (sale officially ended on the 14th) to allow me to move the entire itinerary 1 week earlier. They did it without any penalties or fare difference.

I looked at the prices and they hadn't changed - apparently while the sale officially closed on the 14th, they still had the sale prices going until the next few days.

So, my guess is if you call them while the sale prices are still available though "officially" the sale is supposed to have ended, they may still allow you to change the first leg without any penalties.

bearteacher Dec 28, 2011 9:49 am

I tried to use this code but...

5 mins ago it applied for 10% discounts for my Y ticket booking, but now it shows,

"Please check all information provided for this CUGO and click Find Flights"

Is this promotion finished??

ft101 Dec 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by bearteacher (Post 17704057)
5 mins ago it applied for 10% discounts for my Y ticket booking, but now it shows,

Should be available until the 9th January and still working OK for me. I am accessing via the Global web site, as opposed to a country specific one, in case that makes a difference.

CommittedLurker Dec 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bearteacher (Post 17704057)

Though not officially over, I am seeing many of the promotional fares gone now and just the regular (high) flex fares only.

sadiqhassan Dec 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker (Post 17707698)
Though not officially over, I am seeing many of the promotional fares gone now and just the regular (high) flex fares only.

Do you have an example? My heart skipped a beat for a minute but the main routes I am looking at (YYZ-KHI, JFK-KHI, KHI-JFK, KHI-YYZ, KHI-LHR, KHI-BKK) still have the 'cheap' fares loaded.

CommittedLurker Dec 29, 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17707876)
Do you have an example? My heart skipped a beat for a minute but the main routes I am looking at (YYZ-KHI, JFK-KHI, KHI-JFK, KHI-YYZ, KHI-LHR, KHI-BKK) still have the 'cheap' fares loaded.

SFO-DXB-CCU R/T or vv in Business.

I bought 4 tickets:

Feb - those fares are gone now.
April - only got the lower saver fare one way (Saver was available both ways on 12/26, but when I booked on 12/27 it was only available one way)
June (2) - The cheapest fares are now 10% higher than what I booked.

I wanted to buy one more ticket in June, but only the regular flex fare is available now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. :p

NA-Flyer Dec 29, 2011 6:39 am

I just booked CAI-DXB-YYZ RT in first class for a amazing fare of $ 3450 with the discount flying the EK A380 F suite :D

jackiedada Dec 29, 2011 7:32 am

Howdy? Which dates? I seem to be getting more than thrice that figure? :confused:

NA-Flyer Dec 29, 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 17709201)
Howdy? Which dates? I seem to be getting more than thrice that figure? :confused:

Mid april 2012 using schedule method.

jackiedada Dec 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Got that - yes they are available^. I was trying mid June for some reason.

sadiqhassan Dec 29, 2011 9:56 pm

NBO-LAX/SFO/IAH/JFK/YYZ

US 1680 [inc tax] in J

HOLY MOLY.
The ''regular" NBO-LAX J fare is just under $6k.

ung1 Dec 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Some of these V fares (ex DXB) are not worth the $75 change fee, considering for another $50-100 you can get a fully flexible (but Saver) fare.

joorinainen Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17713854)
NBO-LAX/SFO/IAH/JFK/YYZ

US 1680 [inc tax] in J

HOLY MOLY.
The ''regular" NBO-LAX J fare is just under $6k.

For some reason i burst out laughing :D Great fare!