FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates Global Sale now on - extra 10% discount for Skywards members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1294888-emirates-global-sale-now-extra-10-discount-skywards-members.html)

joorinainen Dec 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER (Post 17718488)
Amex Cent using AMX TR@:-)

It works:D

Safe Flying

EGT

Haha :) You are the best! ^

ung1 Dec 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 17717048)
MR, anyone? :D

NBO-DFW-NBO in Feb in J gets 78,750 miles and 23,750 tier miles

That's about 2.1cpm for the RDM.

I would have loved to do this, especially as I need to pay a house call in Dallas, but for a severe lack of time and money :(

nabeelj Jan 1, 2012 9:46 am

I'm trying to book some flights originating in KHI using US or Canadian CCs and payment always fails. This also happened to me in early 2011 when I was trying to book some flights for my mum using her US, Canadian or UAE CCs for travel originating in KHI.

EDIT: The CC companies confirm no payment requests have been received from EK.

Last time, I had called EK and all they could do was create a PNR and ask me to pay at the EK office in KHI.

This time, that's not an option, since the 10% off coupon will have ended by then.

Any ideas?

B747-437B Jan 1, 2012 10:20 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17725828)
Any ideas?

Use a VPN or proxy to show Emirates.com an originating IP address outside of a "high risk" country. I have this problem everytime I try to book a flight while physically in Ghana or Nigeria. Possibly, Pakistan is similar.

joorinainen Jan 1, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 17726013)
Use a VPN or proxy to show Emirates.com an originating IP address outside of a "high risk" country. I have this problem everytime I try to book a flight while physically in Ghana or Nigeria. Possibly, Pakistan is similar.

http://hidemyass.com is free proxy which encrypts and hides your origin. I don't know though how safe is to use these free proxies to enter credit card details etc.

nabeelj Jan 1, 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 17726013)

I'm located in Canada, so I don't think that's the issue.

B747-437B Jan 1, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17728177)
I'm located in Canada, so I don't think that's the issue.

Try the VPN/proxy route anyway. I know of many airline sites that have IP blacklists for seemingly meaningless reasons, so a change of IP can give you options.

nabeelj Jan 1, 2012 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 17728204)
Try the VPN/proxy route anyway. I know of many airline sites that have IP blacklists for seemingly meaningless reasons, so a change of IP can give you options.

Tried using a US VPN, couldn't make it work.

I called EK, turns out there are "sales city restrictions" on the fares and I can only purchase them with a Pakistan-issued credit card, or in person. Unfortunately, website doesn't give me the option for "local pickup", so can't do it through the website (and have somebody go pay cash).

The agent also said that since I called the US #, she couldn't even create a reservation with a PKR fare - she suggested I call the Karachi number (when they're open) to create a reservation, then have somebody go pay cash at the local office. I doubt I'll get the same fare (with the 10% Skywards discount).

ft101 Jan 1, 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17728410)
.... she suggested I call the Karachi number (when they're open) to create a reservation, then have somebody go pay cash at the local office. I doubt I'll get the same fare (with the 10% Skywards discount).

You wouldn't get the same fare as it's not an online booking. From the website:

* 10% discount applies to the base fare only (excluding taxes and fees) and only applies to online bookings that include a valid Skywards membership number. Not applicable for itineraries starting in Australia.

nabeelj Jan 1, 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 17728618)
You wouldn't get the same fare as it's not an online booking.

Yes, figured. Thanks.

Turns out the lack of option to pick up locally in Karachi is also because of the discount code. I remove that code, and the option is presented for the non-discounted fare. However, I am also told there will be a markup of 7% of the base fare for offline payment.

At this point, the prices match what a local TA in Karachi is offering, so I will likely try to get them to process it to my US-based CC.

joorinainen Jan 2, 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17728691)
Yes, figured. Thanks.

Turns out the lack of option to pick up locally in Karachi is also because of the discount code. I remove that code, and the option is presented for the non-discounted fare. However, I am also told there will be a markup of 7% of the base fare for offline payment.

At this point, the prices match what a local TA in Karachi is offering, so I will likely try to get them to process it to my US-based CC.

If the CC is the problem get one of those virtual credit cards. There are plenty of service providers. Top up the cash to the card and you are ready to go.

nabeelj Jan 2, 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen (Post 17731832)
If the CC is the problem get one of those virtual credit cards. There are plenty of service providers. Top up the cash to the card and you are ready to go.

I highly, highly doubt a Pakistani virtual CC service exists.

sadiqhassan Jan 2, 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17725828)
I'm trying to book some flights originating in KHI using US or Canadian CCs and payment always fails. This also happened to me in early 2011 when I was trying to book some flights for my mum using her US, Canadian or UAE CCs for travel originating in KHI.

EDIT: The CC companies confirm no payment requests have been received from EK.

Last time, I had called EK and all they could do was create a PNR and ask me to pay at the EK office in KHI.

This time, that's not an option, since the 10% off coupon will have ended by then.

Any ideas?

I will be trying to do the same thing (ex KHI travel) with Canadian CCs soon. I'll let you know how it goes. I have a Pakistani one also but the limit is much lower than the cost of the tix.

joorinainen Jan 2, 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17732581)
I highly, highly doubt a Pakistani virtual CC service exists.

Why do you need the virtual-card to be Pakistani? Wasn't it the problem in the first place that your REAL-card is indeed Pakistani and you couldn't make a reservation? You can top up your card from any bank account you like and you can be based anywhere you like for a virtual card.

nabeelj Jan 2, 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen (Post 17734209)
Why do you need the virtual-card to be Pakistani? Wasn't it the problem in the first place that your REAL-card is indeed Pakistani and you couldn't make a reservation? You can top up your card from any bank account you like and you can be based anywhere you like for a virtual card.

No. Read my initial post, just 11 posts before yours.

I have US- and Canadian-issued CCs. I'm trying to buy a ticket ex-KHI, but the purchase fails. EK call centre says the fare is "sales city restricted" and can only be purchased in Pakistan - which the website translates as can only be purchased using a Pakistani-issued CC. Of course, I could also have someone pay locally in Pakistan (but then can not use the 10% coupon for local purchases, and the fare is marked up an add'l 7%).