Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

MEL finally says Hello! to EK A380 in 2012

Old Dec 20, 11, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG

Finally MEL has been confirmed by EK for A380 flights to start next year. Routing will be DXB-MEL-AKL on EK406/407, starts October!

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...221-1p4wp.html
Old Dec 21, 11, 12:42 am

Great news. Looking forward to it. Got tired of connecting through SYD.
Old Dec 21, 11, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Great news. Looking forward to it. Got tired of connecting through SYD.
Yeah, you spent too much time in SYD. From now on, you can flying on entire A380 from DXB-MEL and it's right choice for you.
Old Dec 21, 11, 8:52 am

You bet! I am looking up dates already. The A380 shows from 1 October.
The loads out of MEL are lighter too.
Old Dec 21, 11, 12:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF

Really Great News

It will be good to connect through MEL instead of SYD every time !

That's 2 EK A380's in AKL now

Cheers,
EK_Flyer
Old Dec 21, 11, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EK_Flyer
It will be good to connect through MEL instead of SYD every time !
What is so much better about Melbourne? Sydney's setup seems as close to ideal as possible imo; the aeroplane parks at a gate that is very close to the international connections security point and the lounge is right at the security checkpoint.

The journey time (inc connection time in AU) is exactly the same regardless of SYD or MEL

I am confused on how Melbourne can be any better

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 21, 11 at 1:22 pm
Old Dec 21, 11, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
What is so much better about Melbourne? Sydney's setup seems as close to ideal as possible imo; the aeroplane parks at a gate that is very close to the international connections security point and the lounge is right at the security checkpoint.

The journey time (inc connection time in AU) is exactly the same regardless of SYD or MEL

Flight-wise yes no real difference but It's more of a Personal Preference as I would like to stop-over in MEL but travel in A380 F.

EK is the only Carrier that has the A380 Trans-Tasman.

Cheers
EK_Flyer
Old Dec 21, 11, 5:22 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
If this works out the way I think it will, it could end my most lasting relationship. Dear reliable and caring THAI Airways, who have taken me to Europe for decades, may have finally met their match, maybe.

The cruncher will be what Emirates will give me, will they compete with the return class upgrades each year, reduction on the award purchases and the increased mileage earned.

Can't afford to be too greedy, it would be very nice, a suite from Melbourne to Paris, I do like the idea, I shall have to read these threads.
Old Dec 21, 11, 8:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by BKKROP View Post

The cruncher will be what Emirates will give me, will they compete with the return class upgrades each year, reduction on the award purchases and the increased mileage earned.
I can help you there - no, no and maybe. Having said that you should give them a try to see how you get on. You may well find that there are other benefits for you in terms of their service and products that do not seem obvious right now until you have flown with them.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Dec 21, 11 at 8:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 22, 11, 9:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

Not sure if this is normal, but there seem to be very few international gates at SYD. So, when I was connecting onto the SYD-CHC flight, the incoming flight from DXB sat for over 30 minutes waiting for a stand (I was watching from the lounge). Thus, the CHC flight was then delayed, which was not great having just done DXB-SYD.
Old Dec 22, 11, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Not sure if this is normal, but there seem to be very few international gates at SYD. So, when I was connecting onto the SYD-CHC flight, the incoming flight from DXB sat for over 30 minutes waiting for a stand (I was watching from the lounge). Thus, the CHC flight was then delayed, which was not great having just done DXB-SYD.
My experience of arriving at SYD is different; not had to wait for gates

The thread was about A380 services rather than the 777 services though

Sydney is far inferior for international - domestic connections than Melbourne imo, but for EK-EK A380 connections, it seems almost perfect

Search this Thread