Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

long Stopover in dubai, Planning to visit some places, Need more info

Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

ok guys so i have a whole day of stopover in dubai and its on 31st DECEMBER..!!!!!! i am arriving dubai at 8:30 am and leaving dubai at 10 pm at night.. so i searched some places to visit nearby airport. here's what i found.

1.) Dubai Mall
2.) Dubai Festival City
3.) Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo
4.) Jumeirah Beach
5.) Palm Jumeirah

AND OFCOURSE

6.) THE BURJ KHALIFA

so my quesion is how do i get to those places. should i just call taxi and go or should i book a tour ? and what do you think, how many places would i be able to visit in that time period? and if possible how much will it cost me to get to the places and come back to hotel.
Thank you very much in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:57 pm

Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa and the Aquarium are all one place. The Aquarium is inside the Mall which is adjacent to Khalifa. The cost by taxi from the airport would be around 20aed + 20aed fee which is applied to all taxis leaving from the airport. Alternatively you could ride the metro from T3 to Dubai Mall which is only a few dhs (sorry i'm not familiar with their pricing). The travelling time by taxi should be no more than 20mins.

I dont really see much purpose in going to the Palm. Its impressive when you see it from the air but when you're on it, you might aswell be anywhere else because its a flat surface with mostly residential blocks. At the very top end of the palm is Atlantis Hotel which has some restaurants and also a small walk thru aquarium but in my opinion, i would waste my time (and money) going all that way.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I agree with the above that the Palm is not worth a visit (unless you get invited to a BBQ by a friendly FlyerTalker).

All the other places are on the Big Bus tour. You get a ticket and can hop on-off at your leisure. It generally stops for a few minutes at Jumeirah beach so you can take a few photos of the Burj-al-Arab.

If you get a taxi to the City Centre Mall, the taxi drops you off at the start point for the Big Bus tour.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
If you want to actually go up the Khalifa to the observation deck, you should book in advance online for the time you want. The prices are eye-watering if you just turn up for immediate entry.

http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/observatio...formation.aspx

I've been to DXB five times this year and have so far failed to be organised enough !
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Descending
Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa and the Aquarium are all one place. The Aquarium is inside the Mall which is adjacent to Khalifa. The cost by taxi from the airport would be around 20aed + 20aed fee which is applied to all taxis leaving from the airport. Alternatively you could ride the metro from T3 to Dubai Mall which is only a few dhs (sorry i'm not familiar with their pricing). The travelling time by taxi should be no more than 20mins.

I dont really see much purpose in going to the Palm. Its impressive when you see it from the air but when you're on it, you might aswell be anywhere else because its a flat surface with mostly residential blocks. At the very top end of the palm is Atlantis Hotel which has some restaurants and also a small walk thru aquarium but in my opinion, i would waste my time (and money) going all that way.
thank you very much...this really helps...just one more question is the dubai mall and burj khalifa near by Jumeirah beach??? and yea i think i m gonna cancel the plan of Palm..i just hope my plane flies over it when i leave dubai ...loll and once again thank you.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by rajamin92
thank you very much...this really helps...just one more question is the dubai mall and burj khalifa near by Jumeirah beach??? and yea i think i m gonna cancel the plan of Palm..i just hope my plane flies over it when i leave dubai ...loll and once again thank you.
Jumeirah Beach stretches for quite a distance. At its closest point to Burj Khalifa it is only about 2 kilometres away. There are many hotels that are ön the beach"as it were including Jumeriah Beach Hotel, Burj al Arab, Mina Salem, Al Qasr (all next to each other) Westin, Mina al Sehayi, Hilton, Sheraton, et al. The last couple are on the sea side of the Juemriah Beach residences at Dubai Marina. For me I would either head to the nearby Jumeriah Beach Park where you can walk around (a few dirhams entrance fee) or head to Al Qasr Hotel at the Madinat (20 mins by cab) and have a snack or drink on the rear balcony of the reception/entry level where you get some lovely views or ask the taxi driver to take you to The Walk at The Dubai Marina which is a parade of cafes essentially that stretches a good part of the length of the JBR where you can stroll, dine and walk down to the ocean. Thie is about 30 mins or so from airport and costs Aed75 plus tip and exit fee from airport. I am sure others would think differently but you did ask! Have fun.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Jumeirah Beach stretches for quite a distance. At its closest point to Burj Khalifa it is only about 2 kilometres away. There are many hotels that are ön the beach"as it were including Jumeriah Beach Hotel, Burj al Arab, Mina Salem, Al Qasr (all next to each other) Westin, Mina al Sehayi, Hilton, Sheraton, et al. The last couple are on the sea side of the Juemriah Beach residences at Dubai Marina. For me I would either head to the nearby Jumeriah Beach Park where you can walk around (a few dirhams entrance fee) or head to Al Qasr Hotel at the Madinat (20 mins by cab) and have a snack or drink on the rear balcony of the reception/entry level where you get some lovely views or ask the taxi driver to take you to The Walk at The Dubai Marina which is a parade of cafes essentially that stretches a good part of the length of the JBR where you can stroll, dine and walk down to the ocean. Thie is about 30 mins or so from airport and costs Aed75 plus tip and exit fee from airport. I am sure others would think differently but you did ask! Have fun.
Thank you very much..i'll keep this in mind
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Do taxis in Dubai accept credit cards?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:58 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Go to The Walk. Great restaurants (I recommend Paul to everyone), outdoor dining (the weather is great right now), and good view of the ocean and the Palm island.

Evening would be a good time to be there, I think. Is 10pm your flight departure time or the time you should be at the airport?

Dubai Mall is pretty good too. If you don't get the chance to go up the tower you could still watch the fountains (free) or visit the indoor aquarium (can purchase tickets at the entrance)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

and how should i convert my money to AED?? should i just convert it at DXB airport or should i do it in advance in USA??
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by Xlr
Go to The Walk. Great restaurants (I recommend Paul to everyone), outdoor dining (the weather is great right now), and good view of the ocean and the Palm island.
Careful, there are two "Walks" in Marina. One is called "Marina Walk" which has an amazing view of Marina's skyline and yachts, the other one, that has been mentioned here several times is the "Jumeirah Beach Walk (JBR Walk)", also in Marina.

Both are good, I recommend the JBR Walk at day time and the Marina Walk at night time.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rajamin92
and how should i convert my money to AED?? should i just convert it at DXB airport or should i do it in advance in USA??
I wouldn't bother, just use the ATMs
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wouldn't bother, just use the ATMs
+1, I've always found the airport ATMs reliable. It's worth withdrawing a non-round amount, as taxis may not have change of AED100 notes.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 am

Had a stopover in Dubai in November. First time visit, landed at 14:00 to fly again at 07:00 next day.

We took one of the big red bus tours which showed us most of the sites mentioned above as well as a few more. They also included a stop at the Waffi (sic) hotel that had an amazing light show.

If you are there for a short time then it is inexpensive and worthwhile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.