How did EK Spoil it 4 you in 2011

Old Dec 15, 11, 6:08 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,469
I know it started in 2010, but the continued devaluation in 2011 of the Skywards program is what spoiled the EK experience for me.

Well that and a 24 hour weather delay last week.
ft101 is online now  
Old Dec 21, 11, 5:06 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Posts: 177
I also feel confessional, so while in general I am quite happy with EK, here is a preview of key grievances to be aired on Festivus.

1) The logistics of chauffeur drive. It is a great service and adds a lot of value to the EK experience, but should be managed better. What I would like to get is a confirmation email together with the reminder to check in online that the car indeed is booked and a reminder of when & where to be picked up, and a phone number to call (in both ends) if for whatever reason the driver does not show up.

1') The above is related to the annoyance on the web site that once you have entered data to the booking management system, all you get is the "on file" instead of the actual value you have entered.

2) The Dubai lounges. The business lounge is always full and while the breakfasts and such are great, the shower capacity needs urgent improving. The first class lounge is like a ghost town, sort of bizarre to be roaming all that space almost all alone. The showers should really be better, too - need more space!

And to the end, the personal development objective for 2012 is to learn from Clark Kent how to do lightning fast changes to pyjamas in a mere phone booth as opposed to changing in a slightly more spacious 1st class toilet accompanied by the klangs and bangs and damnits of knocking to the floor everything not bolted to the walls and ending up stuck with arms in the sleeves of the pj above the head in an uncomfortable straits jacketesque posture.
SingaporeJoe is offline  
Old Dec 21, 11, 10:44 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: HYD
Programs: DL-Diamond, EK-Gold
Posts: 24
I took multiple ( ~7 this year ) India -US and Europe J class flights this year and felt that it got worse every time.

1. Food and Service Quality is declining.

2. Poor Service, not responding to requests in a reasonable amount of time.. FA's dont seem to care when you ask for something. They come back after 30 minutes and say oops I forgot.. this happened multiple times

3. Too many Op Ups and J crew is unable to handle it .. I thought they would be trained to handle a full flight, but its been a consistent "bad service" experience when its a full J cabin due to excessive Op Ups and US segments seem to be overbooked all the time.

4. Dubai Business Lounge.. Fix the passenger to rest room ratio. Adding additional chairs in all corners of the lounge doest mean that you are ready to handle excess capacity.

I have 10 J trips planned for 2012 .. I cannot drop EK completely as they have the best connections to HYD, but am certainly planning to use an alternate airline for 50% of the travel.
domregchief is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 5:07 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SMF - N. California
Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by domregchief View Post
I took multiple ( ~7 this year ) India -US and Europe J class flights this year and felt that it got worse every time.

1. Food and Service Quality is declining.

2. Poor Service, not responding to requests in a reasonable amount of time.. FA's dont seem to care when you ask for something. They come back after 30 minutes and say oops I forgot.. this happened multiple times

3. Too many Op Ups and J crew is unable to handle it .. I thought they would be trained to handle a full flight, but its been a consistent "bad service" experience when its a full J cabin due to excessive Op Ups and US segments seem to be overbooked all the time.

4. Dubai Business Lounge.. Fix the passenger to rest room ratio. Adding additional chairs in all corners of the lounge doest mean that you are ready to handle excess capacity.

I have 10 J trips planned for 2012 .. I cannot drop EK completely as they have the best connections to HYD, but am certainly planning to use an alternate airline for 50% of the travel.
My very same experience SFO-CCU, 5-6x yearly in J. I am planning on diversifying as well.
CommittedLurker is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:59 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 517
I alway enjoy flying EK in J, but if they could do ONE thing that would improve my experience - it is increasing the shower capacity in the lounge at Dubai.

I'm a man of simple pleasures, I don't care for 'personal attention' and the like, but all I want when transiting in Dubai is a cold beer, a bit of food and a hot shower - without having to wait 90 mins for it!
secretplantofightinflation is offline  
Old Dec 22, 11, 12:57 pm
  #36  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,787
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
I alway enjoy flying EK in J, but if they could do ONE thing that would improve my experience - it is increasing the shower capacity in the lounge at Dubai.

I'm a man of simple pleasures, I don't care for 'personal attention' and the like, but all I want when transiting in Dubai is a cold beer, a bit of food and a hot shower - without having to wait 90 mins for it!
Forget the showers. You have a 1200 seater lounge where you ply men with alcoholic beverages continuously. Don't you think you might need more than FOUR urinals for the entire joint?

I don't mind waiting for a shower. I do mind doing the pee-pee dance waiting for the guy in front of me to finish off at urinal #3. That's not something anyone should be subjected to (especially not those nearby me!).
B747-437B is offline  
Old Dec 24, 11, 5:07 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,234
I have found EK's biggest problems to be the lounges, as others have alluded to, just adding more chairs is NOT the solution, there are not enough bathrooms by a long shot, perhaps they want to make some beverages self serve as well, I am sick of waiting 10 minutes for the overwhelmed staff to serve me a Coke! Overall the whole lounge at DXB is poorly thought out.

OTOH, the policies they have enacted for GC holders because of the DXB lounge problems are ridiculous at outstations, So when I was travelling in Biz, my wife and daughter in Y (Yes my wife sat in my seat most of the flight) from HKG I was told that we could not use the lounge because I was only allowed one guest? Should I leave my infant daughter outside? When I went into the lounge for a look it had 20 people in it tops??!! Perhaps a bit of latitude and forethought?
hfly is offline  
Old Dec 24, 11, 9:06 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle & Seoul.... and now, Maastricht....
Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Posts: 1,765
Smile

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Should I leave my infant daughter outside?
Are you inviting debate here?
Paella747 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 11, 11:24 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,469
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
OTOH, the policies they have enacted for GC holders because of the DXB lounge problems are ridiculous at outstations, So when I was travelling in Biz, my wife and daughter in Y (Yes my wife sat in my seat most of the flight) from HKG I was told that we could not use the lounge because I was only allowed one guest? Should I leave my infant daughter outside? When I went into the lounge for a look it had 20 people in it tops??!! Perhaps a bit of latitude and forethought?
So they enforced a rule which you were well aware of. Your family member had no right to lounge access. This thread is about how EK spoiled it for you, not how you spoiled it for yourself.
ft101 is online now  
Old Dec 25, 11, 2:00 am
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,234
1. You are selectively quoting me, try reading the rest of the thread.

2. I was actually NOT aware of this as quite frankly I had never ever found myself in such a situation before, i.e. just me in J, my family in Y, and I had Gold status on EK. Did I mention that this was almost 12 months ago? So what exactly should I have been aware of, please tell? (especially as on the outbound there was no problem WHATSOEVER!!)

3. Other than the BA arrivals lounge, I do not know of any airline nor lounge that will attempt to block an infant under 2 from entering a lounge based on "count", afterall, should they have 1/10 of status? For that matter, having the infant fly "upfront" with me would have cost about $20 more than in the back.
hfly is offline  
Old Dec 25, 11, 8:16 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SAN
Programs: Current: UA 1K, AA EXP; BA Silver; Former: EK Gold (2004-11), LH SEN (2007-14)
Posts: 275
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
My very same experience SFO-CCU, 5-6x yearly in J. I am planning on diversifying as well.
My last week as EK Gold after 8 consecutive years (2004 - 2011). Have been a Gold member ever since the JFK direct flight started (used to be on the east coast) and amazingly EK started LAX and SFO when I moved west, so it continued for 3 more years. But it's time to say goodbye.

Main reasons for quitting:

1) Substantial devaluation of Skywards - really hard to confirm awards/upgrades when I need them.

2) Lack of alliances hurts for a US-based traveler (around 50K of my ~150-200K annual BIS travel is intra-US and so 1K really matters and so that's now my first priority for qualifying each year). End of redemption opportunities with UA/CO made this worse.

3) No real advantage of being EK Gold when traveling in paid J

4) When I travel alone on work, I am in paid J - but am in Y when traveling on vacation with family. So the EK Gold lounge access policy is completely useless for me (compared to SEN/1K where families are allowed in)

The main thing I will miss is ICE, but I'll probably still travel EK J around once a year once I've hit my 1K and it's my off year for SEN.
kyym is offline  
Old Dec 25, 11, 7:28 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, Atlanta, Amsterdam, KSAV
Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Posts: 422
Sector: BKK-HKG-BKK Flight EK 384/385

Class: J

Seat: 14E/F both directions

Config: 388

Status: Revenue

When (don't mention day of the flight pls): second and third week of November

Took a side vacation while in BKK to HKG and Macau. Schedule and pricing with EK was attractive, and since it was the A380, wanted to see if it was worth the hype.

It wasnt.

My girlfriend got her pre-departure drink prior to even hitting the runway, mine did not get to me until about 10 minutes airborne.

Seat would not operate at all, at first I was thinking that they were functionally made inop until getting to altitude. Turns out it was AFU and they had to reset it. that meant both seats and the entertainment had to be rebooted and that was 10-15 minutes.

The seat wasnt all that comfortable, and the tray does not slide out very far if yo wanted a little extra room. I am used to flying QR on the 777 and the seats and tray are roomier and more comfortable.

Food was OK, but overall, the service of the flight attendants was mediocre in both directions. More like the style of DL on a transatlantic Y flight instead of what I expected in EK on the upper deck of the 380.

Am planning a KWI-BKK for March, and the EK price is about 500USD less than QR, but this and another EK thread leaves a lot of doubt in my mind about the quality of service in business class. Pretty sure i will do the QR as I know what type of quality I will get with them.
tomnativenewyorker is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 6:03 pm
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 1A or GS-550
Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Posts: 498
[QUOTE=tomnativenewyorker;17691013]Sector: BKK-HKG-BKK Flight EK

Come on EK FTER's???

EK is waiting for your feedback?????

Jump in.

Safe Flying

EGT
ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 9:14 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YYC - not the centre of the universe
Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Posts: 4,579
I have never (not yet, at least) flown EK.

But I already had a major gripe with EK's website.

I was booking BKK-HKG-BKK in F for two people. Get around to booking - and realize that only a CC in the name of one of the traveling passengers could be used...

So I went to Expedia and booked it there! ^



Now I hope that next year I won't be posting in this thread after my EK A380 experience... (as I've heard so many times in the UA HKG lounge when trying to sleep during the EK boarding procedure... )
jlisi984 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 11, 9:32 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Posts: 1,815
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
1. You are selectively quoting me, try reading the rest of the thread.

2. I was actually NOT aware of this as quite frankly I had never ever found myself in such a situation before, i.e. just me in J, my family in Y, and I had Gold status on EK. Did I mention that this was almost 12 months ago? So what exactly should I have been aware of, please tell? (especially as on the outbound there was no problem WHATSOEVER!!)

3. Other than the BA arrivals lounge, I do not know of any airline nor lounge that will attempt to block an infant under 2 from entering a lounge based on "count", afterall, should they have 1/10 of status? For that matter, having the infant fly "upfront" with me would have cost about $20 more than in the back.
Next time I suggest you spend the $20. That should get you lounge access.
rathin100 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: