Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did EK Spoil it 4 you in 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Love2Fly74
Full cabin in Y on DXB-KWI and meal was served 30 mins before landing....this is not enough time to be able to eat and enjoy a full meal especially if you are towards the back of the cabin, by the time you get your meal the FA's are coming back to collect trays preparing for landing.
Given that it's only a 90 minute flight, 30 minutes before isn't too bad. When I have flown DXB-KHI (2h flight) on a full 2 class 773, the FAs start serving food as soon as the seatbelt sign is off. As soon as they are done serving, they start collecting and barely are done picking up trays by the time the sign's back on
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, EK Plat, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
For a second I thought that this thread was going up in smoke !
Simon,

These forum sometime confuse me. Isn't the point of a forum a place to come and talk about any issue (as long as its EK related in this case....) whether good or bad?

Last time I checked forums are a place of free speech and should not be "Censored" unless someone is going completely apeS&*! (not this case at all).

If I am missing something than I might as well not even post any longer or ever "lurk" for that matter because some person some place may not agree with my opinions or in this case EGF's thread title.

Maybe I should host a OCCUPYflyertalk party in DXB. Anyone Interested?

-Phil
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Given that it's only a 90 minute flight, 30 minutes before isn't too bad. When I have flown DXB-KHI (2h flight) on a full 2 class 773, the FAs start serving food as soon as the seatbelt sign is off. As soon as they are done serving, they start collecting and barely are done picking up trays by the time the sign's back on
Try DXB-DOH or DXB-MCT. Full meal in J/F and I was waiting for the FA to come ram it all down my throat. Soo much food thrown away its insane...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by pjm1300
Simon,

These forum sometime confuse me. Isn't the point of a forum a place to come and talk about any issue (as long as its EK related in this case....) whether good or bad?

Last time I checked forums are a place of free speech and should not be "Censored" unless someone is going completely apeS&*! (not this case at all).

If I am missing something than I might as well not even post any longer or ever "lurk" for that matter because some person some place may not agree with my opinions or in this case EGF's thread title.

-Phil

I don't blame eightblack at all. He's doing a brilliant job. It's not easy as a mod of any forum. There is a fine line between free speech and allegations that can result in risk of litigation against the forum . You'll only realise it after you start your own forum. (I did and had to close it all down)
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I don't blame eightblack at all. He's doing a brilliant job. It's not easy as a mod of any forum. There is a fine line between free speech and allegations that can result in risk of litigation against the forum . You'll only realise it after you start your own forum. (I did and had to close it all down)
ukdoctor,

I did not mean to bash Simon at all. I understand slander against a party or company can land you in hot water but, in this case from what I posted and read above are all "war stories" (as Simon put it) and are all true (maybe not 100% accurate, tough to say these days. Damn computers don't allow us to show emotion on forums yet...).

Maybe I should open a forum in... Dubai?! The legal system here is so fa-cocked they wouldn't even know what to do with a fourm? Give it 50 lashes? That will work!

I have no problem telling other people or the person/company themselves personally or in a public forum that there product sometimes SUCKS.

That is all for me Shall we get back on topic or should start the OCCUPYflyertalk/emiratesairlinesskywards thread?

-Phil
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by pjm1300
Simon,

-Phil
Phil,

You have a very valid point. I'd hate to think that any member of the EK community couldn't come here and post what they wanted - as long as it was about EK and as long as there was some benefit to the wider community.

Each forum on FT has its own style. The BA board is a very different place to hang out on as opposed to the United board. Personally, I think we're still finding our feet.

I like the fact that a lot of us know each other (ie from the Dubai Do). And I will absolutely accept the fact that I am often labelled as an "EK loyalist" and perhaps a little over protective of the brand.

I think the challenge for all of us (and my major source of frustration) is how we actually get EK to interact with us (as BA and UA do with their respective forums).

SIMON
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: BA BD SA
As only an occasional EK traveller - and hence forum visitor - I was a little apprehensive when the thread started. (I know several forums a thread title like this would be a prelude to acrimonious debate followed by spontaneous combustion and then moderator lock down.) But actually it is proving useful to me in that I can gauge what typically goes wrong on EK nowadays and so be more prepared for any disappointments along the way.

So please share your war stories!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is not the job of the moderator to protect the company brand. The forum is not run by Emirates, is not subject to censorship, and the people posting here should not be given 50 lashes for offering criticism--as may be the case in EK's home base. The point is to let people who post and who read information in the forum get a well rounded view of the good/bad/neutral aspects of the airline and the services it provides.

In the end criticisms are one of the best things for an airline. If a seat in F on a particular aircraft is broken and no passenger ever said anything, a person on the next flight would likely face the same broken seat. If an airline chooses to suppress or ignore comments from its paying customers, then they will eventually lose them all. Who wants to give business to a company that could care less about what its customers think and want?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:45 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is not the job of the moderator to protect the company brand. The forum is not run by Emirates, is not subject to censorship, and the people posting here should not be given 50 lashes for offering criticism--as may be the case in EK's home base. The point is to let people who post and who read information in the forum get a well rounded view of the good/bad/neutral aspects of the airline and the services it provides.

In the end criticisms are one of the best things for an airline. If a seat in F on a particular aircraft is broken and no passenger ever said anything, a person on the next flight would likely face the same broken seat. If an airline chooses to suppress or ignore comments from its paying customers, then they will eventually lose them all. Who wants to give business to a company that could care less about what its customers think and want?
To be honest, I find this post just a wee bit insulting. I don't think I have ever intentionally censored anyone on this board in the 18-months or so I have volunteered as a Mod - if that's the implication. Am I loyal customer of EK? You bet. Does that influence how I perceive the brand to be. Of course. Should that influence how I moderate this particular forum? No, but we are all human and sometimes mistakes are made.

I'd like to think that the board does have a decent balance of opinion and that members and guests can see both the good, bad and ugly of all things EK related.

Last edited by eightblack; Dec 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm Reason: You're right Phil, my first response was a little melodramatic
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
To be honest, I find this post somewhat personally offensive. I don't think I have ever intentionally censored anyone on this board in the 18-months or so I have volunteered as a Mod - if that's the implication. Am I loyal customer of EK? You bet. Does that influence how I perceive the brand to be. Of course. Should that influence how I moderate this particular forum? No, but we are all human and sometimes mistakes are made.

I'd like to think that the board does have a decent balance of opinion and that members and guests can see both the good, bad and ugly of all things EK related.
Now lets not get all melodramatic... I do see eightblack's point in sfo saying it should not be subject to censorship (no offense sfo, but you where kind of implying that the forum is censored). Now I do agree with sfo that the forum is not officially run buy Emirates so it should not be censored like my internet at home (stupid Dubai proxy...). In defense of eightblack obviously EK does care about the forum and eightblack or we would have not had such a great time at the Dubai DO 2011.

Everyone is subject to there own opinion (unless your are based in a certain countries, then your screwed) and I believe public forums are great places to share those.

-Phil
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is not the job of the moderator to protect the company brand.
I've just read eightblack's post again, and it's just him acknowledging that he has a slight bias towards EK. We are all biased, and I think it's a sign of sanity to recognise one's own.

Now, to my EK war story - it's from 2010, but I wasn't on FT then, so hopefully I can retroclaim...

Departing BOM for LHR during the first European ash cloud, being refused check-in as far as DXB. It was a good few days into the airspace closure, and EK had stopped providing hotels for stranded pax. I didn't mind this and booked one myself online.

However, at check-in, the supervisor said that it was EK policy to refuse passage to DXB as 'the hotel situation was critical'. This was nowhere near true, as DXB has many hotels, and every day I was waiting there I simply went online and booked another night. I simply wanted to be 'stuck' closer to home, and also see some more of DXB, which I was new to. Thinking back on it, they were obviously just trying to reduce pressure on the airport, as following the eventual reopening of airspace pax would still be ~8hrs out of DXB.

I am not proud of myself for having to raise my voice at the supervisor and make a considerable scene, but travellers here will probably know that in some parts of the world that can work - and I had tried every form of reason and failed. It got me on the plane, but I spent the journey fuming at EK. I decided that they had one more chance - and fortunately, my next journey was filled with things like champagne in Y and an upgrade to J. So I still fly EK!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:30 pm

Xxxxx

Last edited by jiggyjig; Nov 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: TG*G , Le Club Platinum
EK405

Was on EK405 MEL-SIN, first week of September

Just wanted to say,half way through the flight, i felt that the cabin was very stuffy and i felt giddy. I was seated at the aisle in Y(cant remember the seat no.) Thought it was just me , but an elderly lady fainted next to me . Thankfully, the stewards attended to her and she went back to her seat.
So yeap, hopefully 2012 with EK would be more pleasant.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Originally Posted by eightblack
You know, I was a little apprehensive when EGT started this thread. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how it would benefit the wider EK community and EGT and I traded a couple of candid PM's about it.

Obviously, there are a few war stories out there - which I now realise are important to share. So, I'm happy to admit I was wrong in my premature judgement of these posts.

So feel free to vent. I'll just sit here and watch from the sidelines...
MOD we adore you

Regards

EGT
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Hi All

Hi Mates,

Pls pls->

1) Pls lets not bash the MOD(ok he might have reservations about EK). I will just ask him to close this now & here. So PLS stick to the point. This is not about the MOD. This is about how we spent our $$$$$$$$ with EK & what we got back?????

2) Pls follow my template regarding reporting your experiences with EK.

Pls do POST.

If you do not POST then you are EXACTLY the one who does not want SKYWARDS or EK to improve. So you are being static.

Don't talk about it later here then. We agree???

Waiting for you to come up!!!

Regards

EGT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.